Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some game limitations seem too artificial
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Some game limitations seem too artificial

(01-23-2011, 01:53 PM)Taikutsu Wrote: Heard from my friends that it's possible to throw objects at the creatures, such as a barrel.
It will make them stumble but won't effectively kill them. Surely that counts for something right?

this is true, and really, you aren't meant to fight the creatures, your not even supposed to want to fight them, the only artificial limitation that actually is sorta ridiculous, is the candle thing, but i can live with that, it's better than having the all powerful glowstick that wards of the shadows with infinite ease, and lets be honest, if one of those things came charging out at you, and you were in a place you don't remember, would you honestly try to hit it? i mean, c'mon, how stupid would that be, you don't know how strong they are, and you don't have to abandon all hope, just throw some objects at it and put as many walls and doors between you, that is how you fight, that is also a more likely reaction to a monster, as opposed to run up and glass the mutha...
(01-23-2011, 02:06 PM)texter Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 01:40 PM)Tottel Wrote: in Penumbra. You had the means to swing a pickaxe, and because of that, loads of players thought you were supposed to kill the monsters instead of trying to hide from them.
Well, you can effectively demostrate the futility of attack. For example, the moment you swing your weapon at the monster, he lashes at you with double speed\strength, rendering you defenceless and down on the floor. Probably Penumbra didn't properly show the player the non-necessity to fight.

(01-23-2011, 01:53 PM)Taikutsu Wrote: Heard from my friends that it's possible to throw objects at the creatures, such as a barrel.
It will make them stumble but won't effectively kill them. Surely that counts for something right?
Ok, why throwing a barrel or a chair is an option while swinging it is not?

Still the main inconsistency for me in this game is not being able to carry candles and torches, while you CAN carry this super-oil-hungry lantern. By the way, a lit match is also a source of light. Very short lived too.

have you played penumbra... now think how ridiculously available light was, you had a torch with batteries seemingly sprinkled everywhere for easter eggs, and a glowstick that literally NEVER ran out, that, and a lot of areas where lit by light's anywhay so you didn't need them half the time, plus at the beginning, you could light torches with a lighter... i prefer the less light option to lights everywhere.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM by Zoridium JackL.)
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some game limitations seem too artificial - by Zoridium JackL - 01-23-2011, 02:11 PM