Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How do you feel about Amnesia putting the spotlight on Frictional?
Duskofdead Offline

Threads: 1
RE: How do you feel about Amnesia putting the spotlight on Frictional?

My main concern with *any* dev getting mainstream success is that then their games, either due to selling out or external pressures by whoever is working with them/distributing for them/funding them, wind up degenerating into the same pc-xbox crossplatform McGames as everyone else, for exactly the same target audience, and heavily lobotomized from the depth and challenge of what they were making earlier.

That is, sadly, the path that EVERY dev that has achieved mainstream success has travelled down. People forget that Blizzard started off as 3 college friends who dropped out together and made Diablo 1... and look at it now, a monstrosity enslaved to its own mass success and now incapable of doing anything truly unique anymore, just farming the dollars off its namebrand at this point, not too different from Disney or any creative business that gets "too successful" and abandons its vision and talent in favor of a business paradigm of "anything for maximum sales."

So do I hope Frictional does well enough to keep making more games like Amnesia? Yes. Do I hope they fail to ever get huge enough to turn into yet another dev house churning out cross-platform McTitles? Yes. Smile
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you feel about Amnesia putting the spotlight on Frictional? - by Duskofdead - 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM