Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How do you feel about Amnesia putting the spotlight on Frictional?
Duskofdead Offline

Threads: 1
RE: How do you feel about Amnesia putting the spotlight on Frictional?

(04-28-2011, 06:25 PM)dph314 Wrote: It may not be a good idea, but I think if there was one company that could do it well, it'd be Frictional. Done the right way, without taking the wrong route and appealing to the masses with 'Amnesia: Reloaded', I could definately see a successful PS3/360 if Frictional stuck to their guns and hung on to what's worked for them so far.

Not sayin' it's a good idea, but I think they'd be capable of pulling it off.

I think anything's possible. I just think you haven't seen a SINGLE dev do this once they enter into "making things for the very largescale market", not a single one has stuck to doing truly unique things that stick to a creative vision, if they risk the exposure and liability of flopping on the huge market, they tend to stick to what works and what is guaranteed to sell a lot. And bluntly, when you start looking at crossplatform, that means really stupid games with virtually no story, no immersion, and just "hurry up and tell me what to shoot next."

I think Frictional "could" do a game just like/just as well as/ Amnesia for crossplatform, and I believe it would flop in its xbox sales. And I think if they listened to what would make games that would sell more on xbox, they'd all involve guns and no story... maybe throw in some achievement farming and oooh let's even do co-op and PvP, those sell!

Basically long story short is this, every bit of evidence based on what's happened with *every* dev is that if they do get into mainstream crossplatform releases, their games are going to get stupid and watered down. There is, sadly, nothing but blind faith to believe that the financial and industry pressures would allow 1 indie house to slide in and do it differently than everyone else. Valve was a small indie house once, so was Blizzard... at one time.
04-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you feel about Amnesia putting the spotlight on Frictional? - by Duskofdead - 04-28-2011, 06:32 PM