Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

To what game could Penumbra be compared to?
Lawfer Offline

Threads: 3
To what game could Penumbra be compared to?

I have been thinking about that and the closer in term of comparison would be Dark Messiah (the playstation game from Atlus). It could also be like King's Field or Shadow Tower, but penumbra isn't your typical Dungeon Crawler.
04-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4
RE: To what game could Penumbra be compared to?

I'd think the game most similar to Penumbra would be Lands Of Lore 2 - Guardians Of Destiny.
In this, the way of manipulating your environment was very similar, and even the atmosphere was close.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
04-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Find
kosta081287
Unregistered

Except the physics part,i think call of cthulhu.
mysterios,scary and adnventures
04-08-2007, 06:14 AM
242 Offline

Threads: 2

Lawfer Wrote:I have been thinking about that and the closer in term of comparison would be Dark Messiah (the playstation game from Atlus). It could also be like King's Field or Shadow Tower, but penumbra isn't your typical Dungeon Crawler.

Dark Messiah of M&M? Don't know how about consoles but it's a PC game from Arcane Studios.

The closest are in my opinion:

ArxFatalis (lowest levels) (also from Arcane Studios) - similar atmosphere, similar puzzles, traps, dungeons, notes, it even includes giant worm and escape sequence from one horrible horrible thing Smile
Call of Cthulhu
System Shock 2
Thief
Silent Hill
04-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

Threads: 5

System Shock 2 is one I'm reminded of. Similar enemy style (for the beginning enemies), similar enviroment, and Red has a fair bit in common with Xerxes and Shodan. Tongue
04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Find
Doffy90 Offline

Threads: 10

Definitely Call Of Cthulhu. Penumbra is a great game but Call Of Cthulhu Darkest Corners Of The World must be the best horror game ever made. It's amazing. Must be played!

PenumbrA

Pen = Pretty
Bra = Good

Norwegian version. :)
04-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Find
Gyne Offline

Threads: 5

it's hard to compare anything to Penumbra. as far as ingenuity goes i think Alone in the Dark 1 matches it.
04-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Website Find
stAtic15 Offline

Threads: 0

Penumbra is one of a kind Smile

PenumbrA ;)
04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Find
Klarden Offline

Threads: 3

Just found the post to say: No, not Dark Messiah of M&M, the first guy was talking about the game called in Japan Dark Messiah and Hellnight in EU (it didn't get the NA), recently finally had a chance to play it (heard about it ever since it got released in 99) and the feeling is in fact close to the one you have, while playing OvertureSmile (the "ther's nothing behind the corner, there's nothing behind the corner" oneSmile)
10-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Website Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

except for the guns and them, call of cthulhu has very similar movements, controls and pickup options to penumbra

Portal is a bit like penumbra, as in you use the enviroment and have the little controller to pick things up.

Not an image
10-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Find