Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

I played F.E.A.R. for the first time.
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: I played F.E.A.R. for the first time.

Finally I played the game a little and now it seems to be more an ego-shooter, than a game with horror. It is scary, of course, and there are some genial horror effects in the beginning. But the most is only blood and corpses - even violence.
But some environments have a great atmosphere similar to Penumbra.
I wanted to see such a game from FrictionalGames with only horror and no shooting (or with very little munitions).
FEAR scared me, but it is more a shooter and not a horror game I prefer.
09-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

I liked F.E.A.R. quite a bit, I mean, if you compare it to Doom 3, it was way better, Doom 3 was more like: "Boo!" "Eek!" *Pulls trigger!* But in F.E.A.R. they keep the scares mostly seperated from combat, it's more like, you have a special job of taking down bad guys, who somehow are controlled by some augmented guy, at least, this was in your briefing. But meanwhile you see other disturbing things you cannot explain. I think this made F.E.A.R. unique.

Would love to play it again, but for some reason, I need to uninstall my keyboard's software in order to play else I get no more than 10 FPS, even with my GTX 580... Stupid software conflicts...
09-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

You seem to have tendency to create a thread for every single game you played or movie you watched with "I want to see a game like [...] from Frictional Games" Smile

09-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Website Find
UnseenLegend ( NL ) Offline

Threads: 10

(09-10-2011, 12:31 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 10:51 PM)UnseenLegend ( NL ) Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 10:30 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: if you play Dead Space with the goal of trying to be scared, you will be disappointed

If you play it to enjoy blasting zombies limbs off and to enjoy a sci fi adventure, you will like the game a lot
i i was more for the Grapic's and the great textures + story
Well then you had a better mindset then most people, usually I hear so many complaints about dead space not being scary and I look at them and ask them why they expected to be scary

Afterall

EA made the game, so there is no way it could be scary
well they failed on me Big Grin

[Image: read-image.asp?n=n-20121202110321-m.jpg&r=8]
09-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-10-2011, 09:51 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: You seem to have tendency to create a thread for every single game you played or movie you watched with "I want to see a game like [...] from Frictional Games" Smile

It is because there is so much other good stuff I missed in a horror game from them or it could improve their games. OK, you can not have all ideas, but a horror game should have more effects.
And Frictional Games are the only ones who have the inspiration for a good game and if I see other good stuff, then I wanted to have similar ideas in a Frictional Game.
In a horror game should happen more strange things.
09-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

This comes to mind: "There were a lot of ideas, but we were on such a tiny budget, I rarely suggested anything unless I thought it was really important or cheap" -Mikael, http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/k9...he/c2il14v

I'm sure they would have had more things, in fact they mention elsewhere they wanted more monster types, events, things in the game, but budget time and the focused scope of the game precluded all that.
09-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Find
dragonmaster Offline

Threads: 17

Played it once before. Didn't find it very scary, except for the first and last level. Found it, ironically, to be one of THE most fun FPS's i've ever played though, same for second. Wouldn't count them in as horror though.

I like horror games but not the ones that give u nightmares :P
But i like the ones that give you an urge to open every door and drawer that you see for a month :D
09-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Find