Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

I played F.E.A.R. for the first time.
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
I played F.E.A.R. for the first time.

I actually are not a friend of action and violence horror games.
So I thought Penumbra and Amnesia are the most scary games of all.
I criticized all other action horror games, because you should not be a super-hero in the game with weapons.
But I never played an action horror game before. So I decided to change that.
So, I play F.E.A.R. to take a glance how scary this game is.
And I'm shocked to the ground!
I learned: You can not say, that a game is not scary, only because of a gun in your hand.

This game has an atmosphere like Black Plague in the beginning and some nice effects and physics.
I exit the game by seeing the first corpse, because it scares me to the ground.
So I can recommend this game for all horror fans, there are really other games like Penumbra & Amnesia, which can be immense scary.
Thomas played this game?

In F.E.A.R. you are a normal soldier in an exceptional mission.
This is HORROR.

But I don't know how scary Dead Space or Singularity are...

Yes, Frictional is unique, but this are not the only one good horror games.

What you think?
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM by Googolplex.)
09-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: I played F.E.A.R. for the first time.

I think that FEAR has it's moments...but other then that, the gameplay itself was very boring to me

None of the weapons stood out either, I felt like I was playing Doom 3
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2011, 08:06 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
09-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Website Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

As Yahtzee mentioned in his review, the game has a visible schism in design, and doesn't transition well from superhero combat to powerless horror outside of a few well placed creepy moments like climbing down a certain ladder. If it had been bold enough to mix the gameplay elements around to create uncertainty doubt and, even, fear, it could have been a much more frightening game.

In the end it's a good game and has good pacing if bad transitions, but there was no uncertainty or reluctance to move forward for me. I knew exactly what was going to happen, I could easily tell when I'm a relentless killing machine and when to sit back and enjoy the spooky interlude before more killing.

To contrast by example, in Condemned: Criminal Origins, the main villian intimately knows your methods and abilities, and gets the jump on you, leaving you powerless in his hands most every time you meet. Yet somehow you need to try to stop him. That feels much more frightening and scary, where you can't trust yourself and are on the defensive.
09-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Find

It's too bad Condemned 2 sucks ass...
09-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Website Find
UnseenLegend ( NL ) Offline

Threads: 10

dead space is not scary at all its just Creepy Many Times Nightmare House 2 is really good Hl2 mod

[Image: read-image.asp?n=n-20121202110321-m.jpg&r=8]
09-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Find

(09-09-2011, 10:00 PM)UnseenLegend ( NL ) Wrote: dead space is not scary at all its just Creepy Many Times Nightmare House 2 is really good Hl2 mod
if you play Dead Space with the goal of trying to be scared, you will be disappointed

If you play it to enjoy blasting zombies limbs off and to enjoy a sci fi adventure, you will like the game a lot
09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Website Find
UnseenLegend ( NL ) Offline

Threads: 10

(09-09-2011, 10:30 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: if you play Dead Space with the goal of trying to be scared, you will be disappointed

If you play it to enjoy blasting zombies limbs off and to enjoy a sci fi adventure, you will like the game a lot
i i was more for the Grapic's and the great textures + story

[Image: read-image.asp?n=n-20121202110321-m.jpg&r=8]
09-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Find

(09-09-2011, 10:51 PM)UnseenLegend ( NL ) Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 10:30 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: if you play Dead Space with the goal of trying to be scared, you will be disappointed

i i was more for the Grapic's and the great textures + story
Well then you had a better mindset then most people, usually I hear so many complaints about dead space not being scary and I look at them and ask them why they expected to be scary

Afterall

EA made the game, so there is no way it could be scary

09-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

First F.E.A.R. has it moments. But hey, first game is released in 2005. At that time, it was very good, horrific, and enjoyable.
But after first expansion pack, it's a complete 'nothing'.

First Dead Space game has its moments too, especially with the scenes without monsters. However then it becomes tedious to shoot same thing over and over. Second game... well, whatever.

One thing we learn from this topic is do not overly criticize a game before trying.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011, 12:27 PM by Tanshaydar.)
09-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Website Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

I like FEAR for the combats, among the best I've seen in a FPS. But, well, it didn't scare me, sadly ^^"
09-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Find