Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maya Character replacement tutorial
Teodor Sundström Offline

Threads: 3
Maya Character replacement tutorial

Can somebody do a video tutorial showing how to import an enemy-entity into maya, replace the mesh with your own, re-rig it and export it showing all settings of the collada importer/exporter?
Would be highly appreciated.
09-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Find
Teodor Sundström Offline

RE: Maya Character replacement tutorial

This is my current approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6awukJW5zm8
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2011, 03:32 PM by Teodor Sundström.)
09-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

Just for you to know, rigging a caracter for animation requires experience and big ammounts of knowledge on skin binding and paiting. To import simply import it directly with the plugin into maya.

You can't do something as use the old rig into the new character(maybe you can with motion builder, but not with maya), so you have to build a new one(depending on the morphological differences you may or may not be able to use the old skeleton), so you better just go to youtube and watch some videos on character rigging.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
09-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Find
Teodor Sundström Offline

Nemesis, keep a sense of proportion.

This is my current approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6awukJW5zm8

Suggestions appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2011, 04:06 PM by Teodor Sundström.)
09-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

Your model requires a new skeleton and rig, for your luck it should require a smaller ammount of bones but even so you need to recreate all the animations and so on. As I said before, check a few tutorials on skin binding. Make sure of two things though:

Clear THE history and freeze transformations right before skin binding your character, or else it will not be able to get imported into amnesia.

Never apply changes after or meanwhile you are binding your character.

To help with these keep several copies of it around.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Find
Teodor Sundström Offline

Thanks. It would really help me and others reading this thread to see you do what the title says. A tutorial about how to replace a character. Step by step. You don't need to do a voice over, just record your screen while doing it and upload it to youtube.
09-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Find