Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone actually made a custom monster work?
Legato Offline

Threads: 2
Has anyone actually made a custom monster work?

As far as I can tell, no one has been able to thus far. I don't mean adding crap to an existing monster, but a brand new model/mesh that actually works in game. Has anyone actually gotten this to work, and if so would you care to show the steps how?

My first priority will always be to Chaos.
09-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Has anyone actually made a custom monster work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-pyBorzPc

What process did you want explained? How to set the monster in the model editor?
09-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Find
convolution223 Offline

Threads: 15

(09-19-2011, 02:59 AM)MrBigzy Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-pyBorzPc

What process did you want explained? How to set the monster in the model editor?
I guess, yeah, any steps you need to take from going from Maya to the model editor to the level editor. Sorry in advance if this is already on the wiki, i've been away from the Amnesia modding scene for a little while. But this is like the one thing that if i knew how to do, I'd get right back into making Custom Stories.
09-19-2011, 05:38 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Nah, there isn't any tutorial in the wiki on it.

Basically, you'll need the latest version of OpenCollada for Maya (http://www.opencollada.org/download.html). When exporting your model, it's best to delete any history on it. I think you have to set "normalize weights" to interactive on the bindskin as well. After that, export with OpenCollada; make sure triangulate is checked (assuming you didn't triangulate before).

First open your model in modelview to generate msh and mat files, or create the mat file beforehand in the material editor (which is usually the better option). Don't try to "add animations" in that, it doesn't seem to work and will probably crash the modelview. After that, export the mesh in model editor. Set the entity type to grunt enemy. You don't have to do anything to the mesh at all; no bodies or anything. Once you set him to the grunt, change his variables to whatever you like. After that, go to animations. You'll have to add all of his animations. The one thing to look out for here is that you'll need to name the animations exactly the same as the grunt's animations (not the filename, the name inside the editor). The "steps" that you add I think are used to make sounds when his feet hit the ground, so you try to line up the step intervals with the animation length.

After that's done, save you file and use it in the level editor.
09-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Find
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11

Hi!

Later became...

09-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Find
convolution223 Offline

Threads: 15

(09-19-2011, 12:32 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: Nah, there isn't any tutorial in the wiki on it.

Basically, you'll need the latest version of OpenCollada for Maya (http://www.opencollada.org/download.html). When exporting your model, it's best to delete any history on it. I think you have to set "normalize weights" to interactive on the bindskin as well. After that, export with OpenCollada; make sure triangulate is checked (assuming you didn't triangulate before).

First open your model in modelview to generate msh and mat files, or create the mat file beforehand in the material editor (which is usually the better option). Don't try to "add animations" in that, it doesn't seem to work and will probably crash the modelview. After that, export the mesh in model editor. Set the entity type to grunt enemy. You don't have to do anything to the mesh at all; no bodies or anything. Once you set him to the grunt, change his variables to whatever you like. After that, go to animations. You'll have to add all of his animations. The one thing to look out for here is that you'll need to name the animations exactly the same as the grunt's animations (not the filename, the name inside the editor). The "steps" that you add I think are used to make sounds when his feet hit the ground, so you try to line up the step intervals with the animation length.

After that's done, save you file and use it in the level editor.
Thank you, I'm going to bookmark this thread for later when I try this out Smile
For my own custom story I just messed with the water lurker's settings in the model editor, so it was different but still a (mostly) invisible monster (it left swarms of flies in its wake). Being able to make an actual, unique monster gets me excited and i'm already thinking of possibilities.
09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Cool, just send me a pm if you have any problems.
09-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Find