Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[solved]Game Freeze. Huge hpl.log *SPOILERS*
PRAEst76 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago [solved]Game Freeze. Huge hpl.log *SPOILERS*

I've noticed that Episode One is freezing at random points in the game. The image freezes and the background sound loops. The only way I can escape is to Ctrl-Alt & F1 to a console and kill it. This leaves me with a frozen mouse on the desktop (I'm assuming Penumbra was using it's own software mouse?)

Usually on reloading and continuing the game plays on fine but I've got to the stage in the game after the chase through the tunnels by the spiders leaving me in the Storage room. The game freezes after some of Red's dialogue and it does this almost every time I reload or shortly afterwards.

The hpl.log file is huge (43meg) so I've included an edited version. lines beginning with "Checking: " have just repeated over and over for 1,512,000 lines so I'm assuming it's stuck in some sort of loop. I'm assuming the "Cache out of date" errors are due to the game now exiting cleanly.

PRAEst76
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2007, 02:36 PM by jens.)
05-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Website Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game Freeze. Huge hpl.log *SPOILERS*

PRAEst76 Wrote:I've noticed that Episode One is freezing at random points in the game. The image freezes and the background sound loops. The only way I can escape is to Ctrl-Alt & F1 to a console and kill it. This leaves me with a frozen mouse on the desktop (I'm assuming Penumbra was using it's own software mouse?)

Usually on reloading and continuing the game plays on fine but I've got to the stage in the game after the chase through the tunnels by the spiders leaving me in the Storage room. The game freezes after some of Red's dialogue and it does this almost every time I reload or shortly afterwards.

The hpl.log file is huge (43meg) so I've included an edited version. lines beginning with "Checking: " have just repeated over and over for 1,512,000 lines so I'm assuming it's stuck in some sort of loop. I'm assuming the "Cache out of date" errors are due to the game now exiting cleanly.

Yeah, excess logging was left in accidently. A patch is on it's fixing the issue.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
05-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Website Find
mozetti Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: [patch pending]Game Freeze. Huge hpl.log *SPOILERS*

I've got a very similar issue, but I'm freezing during the demo's game intro after selecting "New Game". It loads up the video showing the envelope on the doorstep, and then freezes. Here is the end of my hpl.log:

User Initialization
--------------------------------------------------------
Trying to load vertex program!
Success!

Game Running
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Show Crosshair:'

I have to exit out the same way -- Ctrl-Alt-F1 and give the kill -kill <PID> command. A regular kill <PID> command doesn't cut it. Is this the same issue, or something different?
05-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: [patch pending]Game Freeze. Huge hpl.log *SPOILERS*

Something different. Do you have the lastest binary ATI or Nvidia drivers installed?
Also what distribution/system hardware do you have.

mozetti Wrote:I've got a very similar issue, but I'm freezing during the demo's game intro after selecting "New Game". It loads up the video showing the envelope on the doorstep, and then freezes. Here is the end of my hpl.log:

User Initialization
Trying to load vertex program!
Success!

Game Running
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Show Crosshair:'

I have to exit out the same way -- Ctrl-Alt-F1 and give the kill -kill <PID> command. A regular kill <PID> command doesn't cut it. Is this the same issue, or something different?

05-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Website Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

patch out see http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=1132
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Website Find
mozetti Offline

Threads: 0

Urkle Wrote:Something different. Do you have the lastest binary ATI or Nvidia drivers installed?
Also what distribution/system hardware do you have.

Eh, nevermind me. I forgot to disable the Compiz GL Desktop before I started the game. It's not hanging at that point any longer. Thanks for your help, anyhow. Big Grin
05-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Find
PRAEst76 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: [solved]Game Freeze. Huge hpl.log *SPOILERS*

jens Wrote:patch out see http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=1132
The patch doesn't seem to have solved my problem. The logging is more sanitary but it's still freezing during Red's dialogue. I eventually had to load an old save to get past that point but now it's doing it in the next dialogue sequence. I'm also noticing some audio clipping throughout though it's quite minor.

I'm using Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) x86

Ram: 512m RAM
CPU: AMD Duron 1.6
Video Nvidia GeForce FX5200AGP
Audio: Realtek AC'97 onboard.

PRAEst76
05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Website Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: [solved]Game Freeze. Huge hpl.log *SPOILERS*

What is your game configuration? I see you have it configured as 1024x768. and you are running an a slower speed processor. My guess is your Processor is just too slow. Duron's are not for gaming (just like celerons are not for gaming). Due to the fact that the duron has a REALLY small amount of L2 cache it can lag quite a bit. Also as you are using your onboard AC97 sound card, which depends entirely on the host CPU, that is most likely the cause for the sound issues. Try running at a lower Resolution (800x600) and turning off post effects and see if that helps any.

05-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Website Find