Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside building
Gamemakingdude Offline

Threads: 82
Outside building

Hi, what entitys would i use to make sort of an outside of a castle or an house?

Rep if like me or im helpful or you love my stories!
Stephanos house
10-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Outside building

The only entities i'd recommend for the outdoors are those under the debris category; otherwise, stick to static objects.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Website Find
Gamemakingdude Offline

Threads: 82

What static objects should i use for the walls outside?

Rep if like me or im helpful or you love my stories!
Stephanos house
10-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(10-08-2011, 08:04 AM)Gamemakingdude Wrote: What static objects should i use for the walls outside?

castlebase

The game was designed for indoors, so unless you're making your own walls, you'll have to try and work with what you have. It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

10-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Website Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

That doesn't mean it's impossible, it just take a bit more time.

When making grass, (Found in static_objects>outside) you have to make sure that 'collides' is unchecked otherwise the player keeps coliding with the grass (since its technically a static object)

Skybox:
What really defines 'outside environments' from indoor is the option to use a skybox, This will really changes the players perspective and it just feels good. You can do this by opening the leveleditor, choose 'edit' next to 'file' and select 'level settings'. Now mark the 'active' box and browse for a skybox, which can be found on various websites... LaCaza also has a skybox, so you may want to experiment with that texture. It is optional to give your skybox a colour, but personally you should only use dark colors if needed.

Entities:
Debris is probably what is best... especially when you put collapsed walls in your map.

Particle Systems:
This is optional, but it creates a very outside feel. Go to the particle tool and browse to 'Particles'
Scroll down untill you find "Ps_water_rain.ps"

Hope this helps, even when it's only a tiny area, this will clearly improve the vibe...

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
10-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

The things is that you won't get a decent quality using anything that already exists in game. You won't find a decent ground displacement for starters. The game's grass kinda sucks and there is only one tree that is only good if seen by a window.

Besides the game does not support sun lightning and spot lights have a low resolution when illuminating large areas. So it is really tricky to make a decent exterior for amnesia. Luckily FG team apparently fixed these problems for HPL3(If this is really the name).

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
10-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(10-08-2011, 01:55 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote: It is optional to give your skybox a colour, but personally you should only use dark colors if needed.

To add to this, the color pretty much defines the brightness or intensity of the image. For example, if you ever downloaded a night time skybox but when testing it it felt like day time, that is usually because the color chosen had a high value (e.g. white).

10-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Website Find