Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Looking for Custom Story partners
Carlyle Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Looking for Custom Story partners

(10-12-2011, 09:14 PM)A Tricky Carnie Wrote: I'd honestly love to help you guys,as I'd get more experience under my belt , but I've set up a deadline to get my CS out by the end of the month, and I want to start working on a somewhat joke custom story right after.

Maybe If I finish the one I'm working on now early (which I can see happening) I can help out a bit.

I wish you and your friend best of luck on your CS.
Thanks

I wish you the best of luck too. I hope your CS is a big hit!

Carlyle

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM by Carlyle.)
10-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Find
Carlyle Offline

(10-12-2011, 03:25 AM)ExtinctSilence Wrote: I dont think you attached the doc file, if you did I feel like id have a bit more insight as to how you are going to attempt to achieve this moral. Mean criticism: I am not going to comment on your moral, since you are the creator and want to see things carried out a certain way which is understandable, I doubt how you are going to portray a heart felt message in a nerve racking scare game. Also, making jokes as to accomidate any moral always has its implications, so I think we may want to stick to gags for laughs, but there again there does not seem like even enough time to do so unless we change one of the notes and one of the closets. As it stands right now, I understand that closets are the underlying theme but unless you emphasize it no one will have any idea what the hell you are talking about and will sit there going "wut." I am not trying to be harsh in any way, and I hope you take this as constructive criticism if you really believe me to be on this team. I have the upmost interests in making this product one to remember, and I hope your willing to cut some ideas and some to achieve that. Every Idea has its flaws in the beginning, and yours does not have that many, it is just a little short to get a big point across. Nice Criticism: I really look forward to writing some of the notes in the prison though, you have a very good idea of developing the story in there. I feel like we could have examples of people who did not confess one of their problems, and so forth in building suspense. We will also need to really have a good transition and reason for entering these closets. I suggest perhaps a saw-esque plot, where you are being detained and the captor knows about your secret that you don't find out about until the end (also a good opprotunity for laughs). This will require a lengthy or foolish explanation of closet teleporting as the game will then seem much more applicable upon hearing you are captive, but the idea that you step in light and step out dark really has a lot of opprotunities, including maybe even being captured, knocked out, etc. in that closet.

Remember, nice or not all criticism is important. I hope you take no offense to my prior suggestions, and I look forward to reading the notes tomorrow.

EDIT: found the doc. It seems a bit confusing as i had feared, and may need to be changed. Unless you have an explanation later on as to what supper means, as well as portculis. The third note reminded me of cave johnson from portal, but i doubt that was what you were going for. I'm hoping the notes can be serious for a long amount of time and then have a gag one followed by some surprize in a closet correlating to the note, which would be a good way to get your laughs in. Let me hear what you think on any of the ideas, but I seem to fancy a saw like scenario which would be perfect if you are thinking about sticking with the same moral.

Cheers

Tyler
Yes I like every idea you've had, as I'm not great with writing or grammar. I really like the Saw-like scenario.

I've spoken to my friend and had him read your replies, needless to say he's pretty excited as this is our first post.

Feel free to change anything. I have told my friend that any changes you make I'll show him and any changes that we make I'll tell you. Also, any changes we make to your work I'll send back to you, so that if you don't approve then we can circle it around until we have something we are all satisfied with.

I'll also link a RAR file with the Custom story we have so far.

Thanks,
Carlyle

Aka Sean

P.S. You need the Justine DLC to play it. I use some of the items from it.
the key is in an obvious place.

Attached Files
.rar   Closet.rar (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 107)
10-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15

(10-13-2011, 01:13 AM)Carlyle Wrote:
(10-12-2011, 09:14 PM)A Tricky Carnie Wrote: I'd honestly love to help you guys,as I'd get more experience under my belt , but I've set up a deadline to get my CS out by the end of the month, and I want to start working on a somewhat joke custom story right after.

Maybe If I finish the one I'm working on now early (which I can see happening) I can help out a bit.

I wish you and your friend best of luck on your CS.
Thanks

I wish you the best of luck too. I hope you CS is a big hit!

Carlyle
Well, I'm almost done with my custom story (should be done by this weekend, as I've been spending so much time on it) I think I can help you out (the joke custom story can wait a little bit).

10-13-2011, 02:55 AM
Find
ExtinctSilence Offline

Threads: 1

I actually do not have amnesia right now, we played it at my friends house all the way through, so I am downloading it right now. When I have it I will try out your map assuming I can download the Justine DLC. As for the story, I see a few Ideas that you can discuss with your friend as to where you want this story to go.

1. You wake up not knowing where you are, with a note on the desk explaining that a person has captured you for taking part in a crime or action that ruined his life in some way. You find the key, open the door, then the monster chases you to the next room. I do not know how that room will work out and will think about it later if you decide on this one. There may be though directly after this and a few more obstacles constructed by the captor after which you find a way to escape the "testing" area. This is where the prison REALLY comes into effect and this part I would love to write notes for. This would be where the former "subjects" were kept and there would be a watch room revealing information over all the prisoners, including yourself, and the captor. The cellar could also be a chance to reveal a few things as maybe it will contain chemicals needed to break into the so called master or watch room (all of this is imperative to the game as there may be a key to get into the captor's watch room). The main Idea is to escape testing and either end the tester or find yourself.

2. You are crazy and dont realize it yet. You have gone mad, you later learn (from you guessed it, the prison), of keeping in a dark secret so much it is unbearable. These journals that progress to madness will be found in a master room (i rather like this idea) which is holding your (and every other crazy person's) personal belongings. You are in the rooms and are acting relatively sane, you find out, because they are testing a drug on you. The others became deformed from earlier tests thus explaining the grunts and such. Notes on these would be fun to do as well, as creativity can come to the mentally ill. The main Idea is to escape and live a normal life with your newly cleaned slate. This also leaves opprotunity for a sequel where the drug wheres off and you are once more found insane if this takes off.

3. Reading a note to yourself upon waking that describes you as a literal volunteer for testing, you say that you were allowed to leave a note explaining to your now clueless self what is going on. You hint that there is a very good reason for giving your life away (for science even, if you would like the past to dwell on mental retardation or a brain injury resulting in a loved one's accidental new found stupidity, in which you would like to find a cure for by sacrificing yourself). The tests suddenly become one of deception, if possible to do over loud speakers (the one version that will DEFINITELY REQUIRE VOICE ACTORS) that this test was a hoax and is a study of behavior and reactions, becoming a boom in the early 20th century. I could put a lot of different scare factors here, ESPECIALLY with voice actors. The person then goes to the prison, learns of past subjects, blah blah blah and then escapes in a way similar to the second so that they can try to cure their loved ones on their own.

Those are 3 that I really am excited to write, and all have underlying themes of sometimes its best to come to terms (not let things well up inside). If you would like other Ideas, they may not be as flexible for me but ill try, but mind you I believe these to be the best options with what you had in mind.

Tell me when you have an idea of which you want to do so I can start. I am working tomorrow and friday so I may reply later at night both days if i have time.

P.S. I would halt all production until we know what story we are doing, dont want to waste time on something we end up throwing out

Cheers

Tyler
10-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

Just as a little note here, making a monster with alternate music playing is a fairly simple task. All you have to do is either open the entity editor and make a new version of the monster with the music you want it to play, or simply remove the music all together and set the music manually. you would then save the new ent file in a "entities" folder that would go in the root folder for your custom story alongside your "maps" folder.

10-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Find
Carlyle Offline

I like all of them.
I wonder if we can combine them to make one that has the best parts of all. What I mean is: you are insane and have some kind of multiple personality disorder (Like an extreme case *Murderer/ in an Insane asylum*) and the prison/asylum gives you an experimental drug and it puts you in a dream-like state. The story will take place in the dream and, like story one, you are "abducted" by some outside force, but here's the kicker, your captors are your split personality's. The story can switch between reality and "his" reality. Maybe even at the end reveal what he's seen and what has actually happened.

Tell me what you think because to day I showed my friend your ideas and we then came up with this. If you think this is not a good idea then we'd go with the second.

I also have some people I know who would do voice acting for us. And as my friend and I are musicians we could maybe even write a custom soundtrack. But that's for later.

And we also have a bonus ending idea that only occurs when you've collected of done something specific.

Thanks,
Carlyle

(10-13-2011, 05:08 AM)Homicide13 Wrote: Just as a little note here, making a monster with alternate music playing is a fairly simple task. All you have to do is either open the entity editor and make a new version of the monster with the music you want it to play, or simply remove the music all together and set the music manually. you would then save the new ent file in a "entities" folder that would go in the root folder for your custom story alongside your "maps" folder.
Thanks
That's really helpful.

Carlyle

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2011, 03:02 AM by Carlyle.)
10-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Find
ExtinctSilence Offline

Hey, Sorry I havent checked on this recently, I was in a car accident yesterday and worked tonight. That sounds like a really good twist and would love to work on it. The voice acting would be VERY important though, You would need 1 person to play many and VERY WELL. I am very busy tomorrow from 5 am to 7pm, so I'll write my idea so far down so you can critique it while I am gone, make any changes AT ALL, no matter how small, because if you say its OK, that's almost exactly how I am going to write it, so add and take away what you want. You can also scrap it if you wish, as there are many alternatives, but i find this to be the most, how one would say, Shutter Island like, having an extreme twist at the end.

-SPOILER ALERT- IF YOU ARE JUST PASSING THROUGH AND ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING, DO NOT READ ANY FARTHER, AS IT MAY RUIN THE EXPERIENCE

The beginning starts with you finding a note in the room you will wake up in a few moments, note yet to be determined, but along the lines of one of your personalities communicating. You find the key and get out, where the monster chases you back into the room from the hallway then disappears. This then triggers an earthquake like that you experience from the shadow in the original story, or your withdrawl of the drug. Your vision and hearing is blurry, you are strapped down or lying down or something, and you hear screams (hopefully a sound file), and bloodshed. You proceed to get up or untie yourself to find a dead human (if you have one, if not tell me as a monster body will make no sense). You shudder, and the insanity meter is to the point of stumbling (you should stumble at this point), not only because of the dead body but also because this is the same room the monster almost killed you in. You walk down the similar hallway until you are about to the next room (also similar) where you faint as the door opens, but not by wind.

This is all I am going to write as I have to sleep for work tomorrow. Tell me what you think.

Cheers,

Tyler.

10-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Find
Carlyle Offline

Great!
I like it It pretty much works exactly how I would want it.
Keep writing and also what style do you picture this area as. I mean "Prison, Mansion, Cellar, etc".

Carlyle
10-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Find
ExtinctSilence Offline

OK I have a break in between my day. Both so far this is all fancy mansion type stuff.

Continuation SPOILER ALERT

The door just opens, don't do wind effects, just make it look like someone else is opening it and have them blur out if need be. They then wake up once again in the same spot after fainting with the door in front of them open. The room behind them is gone. it is just a wall where the door once was. No triggers until they proceed into the new now open mansion room. In this room there are 3 doors, the one directly to the left is locked, directly forward is locked, and then a cell-like room to the right which is closed by some door you can not see through (like a wooden one). Upon opening this room it is one like the prison with a table inside of it. The person must touch the table which triggers a faint. They wake up strapped to the table. Blurred vision, motionless. if you can, put a human like statue right next to them and keep the blur enough to keep it looking human for about 7 seconds, then faint again.

Thats all I have time for right now, tell me whats possible and whats not.
10-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Find
Carlyle Offline

That all seems possible. I'll start work on the map and coding today.
And we need a title.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011, 05:59 PM by Carlyle.)
10-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Find