Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Looking for Custom Story partners
Carlyle Offline

Threads: 2
Looking for Custom Story partners

Hello,

To all who decide to read this, A friend of mine and I are creating our first custom story. We would like to find others who are willing to participate in a relatively serious project. I am the script writer (And relatively new to it but not too bad, if I do say so myself) and my friend, The Bostic, is the story screenplay writer. We would like anyone who is or can do any of the following:

-Can write script moderately well
-Is good with writing stories
-Has many creative ideas
-Is good at level design
-Has a fun personality
-Is easy to get along with
-Is willing to put a lot of work into a fun project
-Is unlikely to drop out midway through

Thanks,
Carlyle and FrostyCakes

P.S. We have a starter story already but will always be ready to move on to something better.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2011, 03:57 AM by Carlyle.)
10-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Find
ExtinctSilence Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Looking for Custom Story partners

(10-12-2011, 12:14 AM)Carlyle Wrote: -Is good with writing stories
-Has many creative ideas
-Is good at level design
-Is willing to put a lot of work into a fun project
-Is unlikely to drop out midway through

Hey, Id be happy to write for you if you could do me a solid by helping me with some simple scripting. Im all those above and the friendly stuff you said that i deleted on accident Tongue . I fancy myself to be quite the writer and I am very good at putting a good and interesting plot together. Also, I am studying psychology quite deeply right now in hopes of helping those with brain damage (neuropsychology), so if you want some very good scares I know a bit about behavioralism and would be excited to put my methods to the test. If you'd like to see some of my writing, I can attach one of my recent prompts to the next post.

Cheers!

Tyler
10-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Find
Carlyle Offline

Great!
I'm glad to get a reply so quickly.
I'd love to see some of your writing! Right now as it is we (My friend and I) are not the best writers.
So any help will be appreciated. I'd also love help with scripting as I need the practice.

Carlyle

Aka - Sean
10-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Find
Kaizerwolf Offline

Threads: 9

Honestly, if I had more time on my hands I would offer to map for you, but I've got a pretty serious secret project going on right now, and I'm in the process of learning how to write scripts for Amnesia. In any other case I would definitely help, but at the moment I would have to say no. Sorry.. D:
10-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Find
ExtinctSilence Offline

It's no problem at all, I need something to fill in my time while im not working. I replied so quick because I've got a post up asking for help in level design, it starts with Psych experiment needs help or something and its in the top few, still waiting for a reply. Thats what id need help with, just putting sounds in rooms and cuing the whole puzzle solved thing and simpler stuff. Anyway, heres one of my writings I did for my english class. It was supposed to be about a faust (where the main character obsessed with greed or power strikes a deal with the devil), and the requirements were only 2 pages, but i wrote 7 ish haha. I kind of like it, it links the old gingerbread man story with this, and i thought it came out well. What youll need is a lot less detail of surrondings as you can pretty much make the world ill try to describe, but if its conflict and dialogue that doesnt look unnecessary or inappropriate, I can definetly help you there.

Hope you like it

Tyler

Attached Files
.docx   Faust.docx (Size: 22.19 KB / Downloads: 157)
10-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Find
Carlyle Offline

After reading the first few pages (2) I've decided that you seem good for the job.
Also I've read your post and almost all of that I should be able to do except two things:

-I don't know if i can get the calming music to play while a monster is in the area.
and
-I haven't used padlocks much yet but I think I can see the Amnesia prison script for reference.

And Kaizerwolf Thanks for the thought.
This project may go on for a while so I might ask for more help later.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 01:37 AM by Carlyle.)
10-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Find
ExtinctSilence Offline

Great, any help would be appreciated. I didn't figure you'd read the whole thing either, its a ton. My teacher told me that too. My better writing is near the end, as normally the beginning of writing the reader is not yet acquainted with characters, which is why I had to over do the first couple pages. This is also why I fancy amnesia, since the creators even claim not to know the characters at all, so you are completely out on a limb. Anyway, If you've got a general Idea I can create a storyline if you'd like. It wouldnt have much detail as it is just the concept, but i could give you some alternate scenarios by the end of the night depending on the topic.

Let me know,

Tyler
10-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Find
Carlyle Offline

Great!
Here's what I have so far:
Title: Coming Out of the Closet
I basically want to work in some metaphor about how you shouldn't let your problem well up inside. (or something to that affect)(feel free to tinker with it)
I want it to be comical at certain points and scare the crap out of you at others, all while you stay immersed in the story.
(read the doc when it mentions the notes.)

So far I have you stating in a bedroom where you find the "Greetings" note and a "Well-Hidden Key" to the door out of the room. Upon exiting the door locks behind you and a monster (Gruntzone) beats down a door in front of you. This is to compel you to run down the hall to a well lit room with three closets and a desk in it. On the desk is the "Still With Us?" note and a key to one of the closets. The closet then has another key in it along with a scare. then the next closet has no scare but another key to a third closet that, upon walking into, teleports you to another room which is a darker scarier version of the same room. That room contains a lantern and the third note. Then it leads to a long hallway at the end of which is two closets and a level door. Since closets are gates to other places, the two closets lead to a cellar and a prison. In the cellar you need to escape the water lurker and find the key to the other closet. In the prison which is going to be maze-like you need to find a key as well. I would also like it to be a story developing area.

After that its all up to you and Bostic to decide. (With a little input from me)

Thanks,
Carlyle

Aka Sean

Attached Files
.docx   Amnesia Custom Story Script.docx (Size: 10.43 KB / Downloads: 126)
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 03:06 AM by Carlyle.)
10-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Find
ExtinctSilence Offline

I dont think you attached the doc file, if you did I feel like id have a bit more insight as to how you are going to attempt to achieve this moral. Mean criticism: I am not going to comment on your moral, since you are the creator and want to see things carried out a certain way which is understandable, I doubt how you are going to portray a heart felt message in a nerve racking scare game. Also, making jokes as to accomidate any moral always has its implications, so I think we may want to stick to gags for laughs, but there again there does not seem like even enough time to do so unless we change one of the notes and one of the closets. As it stands right now, I understand that closets are the underlying theme but unless you emphasize it no one will have any idea what the hell you are talking about and will sit there going "wut." I am not trying to be harsh in any way, and I hope you take this as constructive criticism if you really believe me to be on this team. I have the upmost interests in making this product one to remember, and I hope your willing to cut some ideas and some to achieve that. Every Idea has its flaws in the beginning, and yours does not have that many, it is just a little short to get a big point across. Nice Criticism: I really look forward to writing some of the notes in the prison though, you have a very good idea of developing the story in there. I feel like we could have examples of people who did not confess one of their problems, and so forth in building suspense. We will also need to really have a good transition and reason for entering these closets. I suggest perhaps a saw-esque plot, where you are being detained and the captor knows about your secret that you don't find out about until the end (also a good opprotunity for laughs). This will require a lengthy or foolish explanation of closet teleporting as the game will then seem much more applicable upon hearing you are captive, but the idea that you step in light and step out dark really has a lot of opprotunities, including maybe even being captured, knocked out, etc. in that closet.

Remember, nice or not all criticism is important. I hope you take no offense to my prior suggestions, and I look forward to reading the notes tomorrow.

EDIT: found the doc. It seems a bit confusing as i had feared, and may need to be changed. Unless you have an explanation later on as to what supper means, as well as portculis. The third note reminded me of cave johnson from portal, but i doubt that was what you were going for. I'm hoping the notes can be serious for a long amount of time and then have a gag one followed by some surprize in a closet correlating to the note, which would be a good way to get your laughs in. Let me hear what you think on any of the ideas, but I seem to fancy a saw like scenario which would be perfect if you are thinking about sticking with the same moral.

Cheers

Tyler
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 03:30 AM by ExtinctSilence.)
10-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15

I'd honestly love to help you guys,as I'd get more experience under my belt , but I've set up a deadline to get my CS out by the end of the month, and I want to start working on a somewhat joke custom story right after.

Maybe If I finish the one I'm working on now early (which I can see happening) I can help out a bit.

I wish you and your friend best of luck on your CS.

10-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Find