Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

I have a fair number of headscratchers about this game..
tyranius Offline

Threads: 6
RE: I have a fair number of headscratchers about this game..

I don't know.. if he sabotaged the elevator himself, he just made things harder for him. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) Daniel took the amnesia potion because he was almost unable to function knowing what he did to those innocent people. Sabotaging the elevator would take quite a bit of work.. if he wasn't able to function with the guilt, how could he come up with this? And if he was able to sabotage the elevator even with the guilt, why wouldn't he first kill Alexander and THEN take the amnesia potion to wash away the guilt?

I just don't think he'd able to come up with ingenious plans in the state he was before drinking the potion. I believe the only thing he was able to do was write a note to his amnesiac self and that's it.
11-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Find
rji Offline

Threads: 0

(11-07-2011, 07:17 PM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: What Hunter said, Alexander most likely concealed them under clothes so as not to frighten Danie along with making them carry around clove and sage too (to cover the smell of walking corpses and what not. Would explain why they avoided him.

I've smelt enough roadkill to know that clove and sage wouldn't mask the scent of rotting flesh. Even when burnt as incense they don't have a strong enough scent to mask that very distinctive odor.
It would be more likely that Alexander had some sort of alchemical Febreeze like substance.
11-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Find
LuckyBlackCatXIII Offline

Threads: 3

(11-08-2011, 01:33 AM)tyranius Wrote: I don't know.. if he sabotaged the elevator himself, he just made things harder for him. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) Daniel took the amnesia potion because he was almost unable to function knowing what he did to those innocent people. Sabotaging the elevator would take quite a bit of work.. if he wasn't able to function with the guilt, how could he come up with this? And if he was able to sabotage the elevator even with the guilt, why wouldn't he first kill Alexander and THEN take the amnesia potion to wash away the guilt?

I just don't think he'd able to come up with ingenious plans in the state he was before drinking the potion. I believe the only thing he was able to do was write a note to his amnesiac self and that's it.
I actually agree whole heartedly with this, and the more I think on it the more I think it was just a plot hole FG never managed to fill...unless they say other wise here (which would be awesome)!

Quote: I've smelt enough roadkill to know that clove and sage wouldn't mask the
scent of rotting flesh. Even when burnt as incense they don't have a
strong enough scent to mask that very distinctive odor.

It would be more likely that Alexander had some sort of alchemical Febreeze like substance.
Okay I laughed at that Febreeze bit. I wonder how strong the odor would be (and just what chemicals did you mix up incorrectly this time to get this Febreeze, Alexander? Ha ha ha!)
11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(11-08-2011, 07:29 AM)rji Wrote:
(11-07-2011, 07:17 PM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: What Hunter said, Alexander most likely concealed them under clothes so as not to frighten Danie along with making them carry around clove and sage too (to cover the smell of walking corpses and what not. Would explain why they avoided him.

I've smelt enough roadkill to know that clove and sage wouldn't mask the scent of rotting flesh. Even when burnt as incense they don't have a strong enough scent to mask that very distinctive odor.
The gatherers aren't necessarily rotting, you gotta remember, the gatherer's were formed from still living people, who drank some spiked wine with the summoning potion, the entities that have done this to the humans, may be capable of keeping the body ALIVE, even in the horribly twisted state we see, what does this mean to your question?

Simple, the body is still rotting from the many open wounds you see, but not nearly as quickly as it would be if the body was dead

As for the key, Daniel likely took Alexander's advice to heart "You can never be too careful" and made a copy of the key, and hid it, because as you all pointed out, it's unlikely for Daniel to have hidden a key himself, that would only make life more difficult, he likely thought that at some point Alexander would realize that Daniel had developed a conscience, and got rid of the original key himself to hinder Daniel's progress.

All pure hypothesis

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
11-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Website Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I agree with Hunter. I don't think the Gatherers were undead or rotting, but possessed humans with twisted and misshapen bodies. It makes more sense that the hidden key is hidden not from himself, but from Alexander.
11-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Find
Crtomir Offline

The Gatherers - This story reaches all the way back to the time of the Thirty Years' War. It is said that soldiers who abandoned their duty got lost in the cold, dark woods and were forever damned to roam the grounds. Their bodies wrought by their tainted souls have left them disfigured and empty of essence. Many have sighted them over the years and describe them as horrid revenants.

They are soldiers and Wilhelm's men?
11-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Find
anthonydraco Offline

Threads: 2

(11-11-2011, 01:46 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: As for the key, Daniel likely took Alexander's advice to heart "You can never be too careful" and made a copy of the key, and hid it, because as you all pointed out, it's unlikely for Daniel to have hidden a key himself, that would only make life more difficult, he likely thought that at some point Alexander would realize that Daniel had developed a conscience, and got rid of the original key himself to hinder Daniel's progress.

I like this explanation. I think I'm going to believe this one.

(11-11-2011, 11:54 AM)Crtomir Wrote: The Gatherers - This story reaches all the way back to the time of the Thirty Years' War. It is said that soldiers who abandoned their duty got lost in the cold, dark woods and were forever damned to roam the grounds. Their bodies wrought by their tainted souls have left them disfigured and empty of essence. Many have sighted them over the years and describe them as horrid revenants.

They are soldiers and Wilhelm's men?
Hmm, I think there are at least a few of Wilhem's men. But who knows about the soliders. Could be. Still, you must take into account that legends, stories and folklore and such are unreliable. Many sprang totally from fiction or pure speculation. I don't know nobody truly know if there are soldiers in the mix.

11-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

The thing about that one Crtomir, is you need to remember the title of the note, it was on 'local folklore'

folklore

That means, that you can't take the note at it's word, there is always some truth in folklore, but some of it is incorrect because of the very nature of what folklore is...if that makes any sense at all
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Website Find
Crtomir Offline

Yeah, but seeing how long Alexander's life and reign of terror are, there must have been some servants around before the arrival of Wilhelm. No?

I guess probably not. I forgot that folklore is still just folklore in a game.
11-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Find
tyranius Offline

Threads: 6

Well, even though I still have my doubts as to why Daniel hid the key, let's leave it at that.

Another headscratcher:

When the little girl escapes, Daniel tells the mother: "tell me where she is, there's no telling what horrors await down there!"

Well, did he say this just to get the mother to tell him where the girl is or was he genuinely concerned about the kid? Judging by the voice acting I'd say Daniel was indeed genuinely concerned about the kid, but then.. he did know what was going to happen to her soon (torture).

Also WHY did he kill the girl? He had more than enough strength to easily subdue the kid.
11-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Find