Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[WIP] Horror Demo (First Map)
ThatCoolNinja Offline

Threads: 1
[WIP] Horror Demo (First Map)

Hey guys, Im not to sure how to do this but I recently started making maps and this is a demo of my first map.
http://www.mediafire.com/?85mw983yptpnysy
v0.85
Hopefully you guys like it.

I didnt know how to do credits so it ends when you go into the room with the big chair lol.

Please leave some constructive criticism so I can get better at this.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011, 10:48 PM by ThatCoolNinja.)
11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10
RE: [WIP] Horror Demo (First Map)

Going to play this, will be updating this post as I play.

Spoiler below!

* Okay tone it the hell down with the blood. That just looks ridicilious.
* Why the hell was that grunt in a reference pose ?
* Saw that chase coming a mile away, too obvious.
* Why the hell doesnt the second map have a ceiling !!!
* Tons of barrels everywhere..Stephano wearing a knights helmet...Why do I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those custom stories made for pewdiepie...
* No music playing at all, really quiet..
* Storage sure has a lot of boxes..Okay that scare got me.
* Again with the blood...It looks like crap, dont spray it all over the place.
* It's kind of hard to see the key, make it more visible..Son of a bitch again with the corpse ?
* Okay a big chair and a big stephano. Yup I was right, made for pewdiepie. Thanks to that it lost all credibility. Good job.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM by Arvuti.)
11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Find
ThatCoolNinja Offline

(11-20-2011, 08:28 PM)Arvuti Wrote: Going to play this, will be updating this post as I play.

Spoiler below!

* Okay tone it the hell down with the blood. That just looks ridicilious.
* Why the hell was that grunt in a reference pose ?
* Saw that chase coming a mile away, too obvious.
* Why the hell doesnt the second map have a ceiling !!!
* Tons of barrels everywhere..Stephano wearing a knights helmet...Why do I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those custom stories made for pewdiepie...
* No music playing at all, really quiet..
* Storage sure has a lot of boxes..Okay that scare got me.
* Again with the blood...It looks like crap, dont spray it all over the place.
* It's kind of hard to see the key, make it more visible..Son of a bitch again with the corpse ?
* Okay a big chair and a big stephano. Yup I was right, made for pewdiepie. Thanks to that it lost all credibility. Good job.

Spoiler below!

Ok I will fix some of the stuff you said. It wasnt made for pewdiepie I just made a random room with big stuff for the end because I didnt know what else to make :/ and the one guy behind the barrels was a easter egg. I will delete some of the blood and I swear I put that ceiling on there Sad Thanks for playing anyway I appreciate it Smile

Update:
Fixed ceiling in second map
Removed alot of the blood
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011, 10:32 PM by ThatCoolNinja.)
11-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Geez Arvuti, don't get too mad >> He said he just started making maps, give him some time. We were all new at this stuff at some point.

He even asks for "constructive criticism" which doesn't involve cursing or negative feedback.

I can't play it now, since I'm on a friend's computer, but I'll give feedback when I get the chance (probably tomorrow, Sunday night, Walking Dead, and school tomorrow >>
11-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Find
ThatCoolNinja Offline

(11-21-2011, 12:54 AM)Statyk Wrote: Geez Arvuti, don't get too mad >> He said he just started making maps, give him some time. We were all new at this stuff at some point.

He even asks for "constructive criticism" which doesn't involve cursing or negative feedback.

I can't play it now, since I'm on a friend's computer, but I'll give feedback when I get the chance (probably tomorrow, Sunday night, Walking Dead, and school tomorrow >>

Thanks Smile I love walking dead btw.
11-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

"Please leave some constructive criticism so I can get better at this"

I could see from the moment I entered this custom that this was someones first try. There was no real idea, but: "can you escape?". Just maps you built and scripted to test out. There is nothing bad about that though, hell even both my maps are made like that!
"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
In other words, just do maps and have fun with it!

Then some tips about the level editing of your maps. I think I have done one post about the things I think are important for a moody level. This post was directed at a starter, but you might find something useful in there too (your maps lacked in the lighting department).
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid100633

Quote:Geez Arvuti, don't get too mad >> He said he just started making maps, give him some time. We were all new at this stuff at some point.

There is usually always something reasonable behind criticism, its only about the criticized if it becomes constructive or not. If one can not take criticism, why ask for it?

11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Find
ThatCoolNinja Offline

(11-21-2011, 04:27 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: "Please leave some constructive criticism so I can get better at this"

I could see from the moment I entered this custom that this was someones first try. There was no real idea, but: "can you escape?". Just maps you built and scripted to test out. There is nothing bad about that though, hell even both my maps are made like that!
"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
In other words, just do maps and have fun with it!

Then some tips about the level editing of your maps. I think I have done one post about the things I think are important for a moody level. This post was directed at a starter, but you might find something useful in there too (your maps lacked in the lighting department).
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid100633

Quote:Geez Arvuti, don't get too mad >> He said he just started making maps, give him some time. We were all new at this stuff at some point.

There is usually always something reasonable behind criticism, its only about the criticized if it becomes constructive or not. If one can not take criticism, why ask for it?

Thanks man, Ill take a look at the post as Im aspiring to get good at this. I can definitely take criticism ive been a youtuber for years now and getting criticism is practically second nature now.
I appreciate all the comments so far so please keep them coming Smile
11-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Just played it, and here are my comments:

Spoiler below!

1) I like the number of pointlights, but throw a boxlight around the map with each color being about 0.1 to get a little light. otherwise, areas are pitch-black and it doesn't look natural.

2) The decal in the room where the first monster pops up is glitched. I'm guessing you placed the decal AFTER you placed the monster. I set a picture below so you can see.

3) Walls were jutting through each other in halls and rooms. Don't be afraid to place walls next to each other or size rooms larger a bit.

4) I got lost/confused a few times in the hallway with 4 rooms. Maybe script some momentos or quests to help the player.

5) the key by the dead body on the bed is hiding under the covers. I was SO lost because I couldn't find it. I actually found it on accident. >> Maybe bring it up higher and check off "static physics" in it's Entity tab so it floats a bit, rather than fall through the covers.

6) Some scares were predictable, but still pretty good, I jumped a few times. =] Set the scary guy on the ladder to "static physics" as well so he doesn't glitch out like he did for me.

7) Be sure to experiment with new puzzles! Too many keys.

//_________________________

I also noticed you probably intend on PewDiePie playing this. lol I saw your little hidden guy. I'd love to see PewDie's reaction to THAT betrayal. XD
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011, 09:44 PM by Statyk.)
11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Find
ThatCoolNinja Offline

(11-21-2011, 09:41 PM)Statyk Wrote: Just played it, and here are my comments:

Spoiler below!

1) I like the number of pointlights, but throw a boxlight around the map with each color being about 0.1 to get a little light. otherwise, areas are pitch-black and it doesn't look natural.

2) The decal in the room where the first monster pops up is glitched. I'm guessing you placed the decal AFTER you placed the monster. I set a picture below so you can see.

3) Walls were jutting through each other in halls and rooms. Don't be afraid to place walls next to each other or size rooms larger a bit.

4) I got lost/confused a few times in the hallway with 4 rooms. Maybe script some momentos or quests to help the player.

5) the key by the dead body on the bed is hiding under the covers. I was SO lost because I couldn't find it. I actually found it on accident. >> Maybe bring it up higher and check off "static physics" in it's Entity tab so it floats a bit, rather than fall through the covers.

6) Some scares were predictable, but still pretty good, I jumped a few times. =] Set the scary guy on the ladder to "static physics" as well so he doesn't glitch out like he did for me.

7) Be sure to experiment with new puzzles! Too many keys.

//_________________________

I also noticed you probably intend on PewDiePie playing this. lol I saw your little hidden guy. I'd love to see PewDie's reaction to THAT betrayal. XD
Spoiler below!

I was wondering why I couldn't see that key, I didn't know stuff could go through the covers. Ill fix that right away.

I will definitely fix that ladder guy, I was also wondering why he was tripping out like that lol.

I will look into a box light, I agree about it being to dark in some areas.

Im still learning how to do momentos and quests but once I get better at them I will throw them in for sure.

That texture is weird O.o I never even noticed it, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I am still getting used to mapping so hopefully I can make my walls better for the full release.

My friend suggested I hide something in case pewdiepie does play the map so I threw that guy in there, figured he would get a lul out of it.

Thanks a bunch for playing and helping me out Smile

Update!
Fixed texture error pointed out by statyk.
Added box lights.
Rotated something that caused a scare to be "not so" scary.
Made a key more visible.
Fixed a scare from freaking out into a wall.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011, 11:37 PM by ThatCoolNinja.)
11-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Find
ThatCoolNinja Offline

Update!
Read a tut on atmosphere and made it better I think.
Fixed a glitch where the guy would get stuck at a part.
Spent like 5 hours on adding stuff to the map that makes it look nicer.
11-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Find