Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spoiler Some suggestions for the developers to improve game mechanics. (SPOILERS)
hybridcue Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Some suggestions for the developers to improve game mechanics. (SPOILERS)

I just finished the main game yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It was definitely a one of a kind experience. But I was pretty disappointed whenever there was a scene where I was being chased by a monster and had to get past obstacles quickly. I would die but upon the second attempt the monster would be gone, completely removing any excitement from that area. I only died maybe twice in the game (not counting the first water scene!) so I didn't get why an area became so terribly easy just because I died once there.

PS is there a way to prevent monsters from despawning in a location after you die?
04-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I think this was added so that the game is less frustrating, and because once you've seen the monster you know where it spawns and it's not really that scary. Also, when you die in some places you get all new scary encounters, an example of this is when you die multiple times at the water part where you throw bits of flesh in the water, the monster won't spawn in the big room, and when you open the gate the water monster will break through the wooden door. Another example is if you die in the prison block (southern i believe) you spawn in a jail cell and there's a poofer waiting for you Big Grin

And I don't think there is a way to prevent them from despawning, at least no easy one

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
04-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(04-05-2012, 02:29 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Oh ahha, when the grunts capture you. well it's not like you can do much about this anyway XD
It was before that encounter, IIRC they only capture you if you
Spoiler below!
have collected all of the Orb pieces,
which I hadn't at the time.
04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote: I'd also like to see patroling monsters which doesn't despawn, so that you get a gameplay more like the one in Forbidden Siren.
There are patrolling monsters...try the brutes in the Choir

Quote: Edit:

Oh, and PLEASE remove the ability to pause the game.

The inventory and the in-game options menu can all be done with
real-time huds, and there are always some safe places that the player
can stand around in while going to the bathroom or eating. It's really
annoying to see other players chicken out in the middle of a scare.
There's no immersion in having an instant safety zone at the press of a
button.
Stupidity

Especially since...sure it's a safety zone, but it's a temporary one, they have to go right back...and regardless, chicken out? Chickening out is quitting the game, pausing for a moment to collect yourself isn't

04-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(02-20-2012, 08:40 PM)zeemeerman2 Wrote: To Zoridium:
Actually, there is a monster at the Wine Cellar. It's only scripted so much that nine chances out of ten, it wouldn't harm the player and leaves the room (It is not an illusion like in the Archives! It's a real monster!) when the player comes near the monster.
actually, that is false. The monster has its reaction (to the player and environment) turned off. You can run next to him and he will continue his patrol.

I rate it 3 memes.
04-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

Indeed, lose the damn pause screen!
Each time again, i found myself pressing escape when something scary happened.
It would be terrifying not being able to pause the game when you want to!

If you pause the game, you have all the time you need to gather your thoughts before you get back to the action. This is actually breaking the atmosphere you built up just a couple of minutes ago. I guess it's to late to make some kind of hotfix for amnesia to fix the pause screen, so I hope they consider this for the next Amnesia game or the new HPL3 game.

04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-09-2012, 06:15 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
Quote: I'd also like to see patroling monsters which doesn't despawn, so that you get a gameplay more like the one in Forbidden Siren.
There are patrolling monsters...try the brutes in the Choir

Quote: Edit:

Oh, and PLEASE remove the ability to pause the game.

The inventory and the in-game options menu can all be done with
real-time huds, and there are always some safe places that the player
can stand around in while going to the bathroom or eating. It's really
annoying to see other players chicken out in the middle of a scare.
There's no immersion in having an instant safety zone at the press of a
button.
Stupidity

Especially since...sure it's a safety zone, but it's a temporary one, they have to go right back...and regardless, chicken out? Chickening out is quitting the game, pausing for a moment to collect yourself isn't
You're making poor excuses. Pausing is just as much chickening out as quitting the game, only pausing is more convenient. The pausers go right back once they're calm and collected again, just as quitters do. They go back when they feel like it, ruining the realism, the sense of immediate urgency, and the main challenge of the game. A pause button is always meant to keep the player from dying while he's away from the computer - nothing else. It's not to be used in actual gameplay. Whenever an LPer uses this button, his audience will hiss and boo over the cowardice of him not living up to the challenge of the game. It's really bad, because it also shows an inability to cope with real-life stress. If somebody runs out in front of your car, there's no pause button. If somebody jumps you in the street, there's no time-out. You eat healthy food to build up reflexes and the ability to stay collected under pressure - that's your "pause-button". That's the skill that every game that isn't turn-based, wants to test.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:You're making poor excuses. Pausing is just as much chickening out as quitting the game, only pausing is more convenient. The pausers go right back once they're calm and collected again, just as quitters do. They go back when they feel like it, ruining the realism, the sense of immediate urgency, and the main challenge of the game. A pause button is always meant to keep the player from dying while he's away from the computer - nothing else. It's not to be used in actual gameplay. Whenever an LPer uses this button, his audience will hiss and boo over the cowardice of him not living up to the challenge of the game. It's really bad, because it also shows an inability to cope with real-life stress. If somebody runs out in front of your car, there's no pause button. If somebody jumps you in the street, there's no time-out. You eat healthy food to build up reflexes and the ability to stay collected under pressure - that's your "pause-button". That's the skill that every game that isn't turn-based, wants to test.
[Image: eb6.jpg?1307463786]

I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult to take you seriously anymore

I'm also trying to figure out how to respond to how inanely stupid your entire post there was, my best guess is you're just trolling and trying to get an argument going or something, so I'm probably better off just ignoring you

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Website Find