Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Simple shout-out of appreciation
Downsider Offline

Threads: 1
Simple shout-out of appreciation

Simply wanted to drop in and give a personal shout-out to Frictional Games on this incredible series I am finally able to play.

Overture has me by the bawls, and loving it, and all the background detail to the story is like revisiting old days of gaming. Can't wait to dive into Black Plague and it's expansion.

The atmosphere is just so... intoxicating Big Grin in a good way. Love the fact Overture relies on it's atmosphere and setting rather then pitting you against enemies that give up cheap scares. Love the pace, story seems great, and I regret not picking this up when it came out a few years back. Not that I was even able to run these back then...

After these It's onto Amnesia! I am so pumped.

01-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Simple shout-out of appreciation

Agreed. FG has given a new meaning to TRUE horror games. They know what makes people tick and lose their baring. I've never been so scared of a game until I played Amnesia... Was actually my first game that I had to pause and exit the game to realize I was actually safe from harm. It was amazing. These guys are my inspiration and role models. =]
01-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Find
Downsider Offline

That will be the next game I play once I finish the Penumbra series.

Games such as Dead Space and the new direction of Resident Evil don't really give that feeling of actually being terrified, just provide cheap scares. You feel like the character truly is just a regular guy. He's not some steroid crazed junkie with a sledgehammer, or someone who suddenly has the will to fire weapons with ease.

You can see when he gets scared, why he's afraid and it in some way seems to impact you. You take things slow and start to use your brain, be cautious.

I'm actually trying to search games that are focused on these games aspects... It's really hard.
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

Have to agree with you there. Amnesia wasn't the first horror I've played, but the first that actually terrified me. Sometimes got too scary that I refused to play it Tongue.

There ain't really anything like Amnesia and Penumbra around. I found Dead Space jumpy at times, but not scary. Resident Evil was just a shooter rather than a horror.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
01-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

I always thought that Doom 3 had the ultimate atmosphere and the gameplay by choosing between gun and flashlight. Amnesia and Penumbra have it even better.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Ah yeah, Doom 3 was amazing. Didn't take me too long till I had to since the mod for a shotgun with a flashlight. Killed the horror a bit, but I still found it really scary. Monsters just jumping out of everywhere

01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Find
Downsider Offline

There aren't many quality horror games these days. Perhaps FG will be the leader in horror games? as if they weren't already with Amnesia.

Cryostasis seems to be quite the horror game with great scripted events. Problem with that game is that It's so poorly optimized, and even worse than Metro 2033.

If only it were smooth as Amnesia and Black Plague would it be on my list of new favourite horror games.

DOOM 3 is one game I skipped out on WHICH I will return to in the coming days ^_^ here's to DOOM 4 when that releases.
01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

I thought Metro 2033 was a good game, not as solid as most shooters, but had a kinda stalker game style to it with stealth and survival. Some parts were a bit scary, but nothing can compete with FG's work.

01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Find
Conor1320 Offline

Threads: 0

Doom 3 is good fun but relies on heavy scripting for the scare effect, which gets predictable at times.

I have played many survival horror games including, Siren, Dead Space, Silent Hill, Clock tower, Penumbra, Dino Crisis, Fatal Frame, System Shock 2, NH2 Mod, FEAR, and none of those could match the terrifying aspect of Amnesia. Mostly because in Amnesia you feel extremely vulnerable and you cannot fight back at all, you purely rely on run and hide tactics. Not only that but Amnesia provides some impressive sounds which also adds to the immersion of the game, which is why some of us find ourselves hiding in corners to give ourselves a bit of a breather and then move on.

Also looking forward to Doom 4 Big Grin, as well as Frictional Game's next project, which may not be as 'scare' focused but will definitely deliver on the 'horror' atmosphere.
01-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Find
masa2009 Offline

Threads: 3

(01-06-2012, 10:31 PM)Conor1320 Wrote: Doom 3 is good fun but relies on heavy scripting for the scare effect, which gets predictable at times.

I have played many survival horror games including, Siren, Dead Space, Silent Hill, Clock tower, Penumbra, Dino Crisis, Fatal Frame, System Shock 2, NH2 Mod, FEAR, and none of those could match the terrifying aspect of Amnesia. Mostly because in Amnesia you feel extremely vulnerable and you cannot fight back at all, you purely rely on run and hide tactics. Not only that but Amnesia provides some impressive sounds which also adds to the immersion of the game, which is why some of us find ourselves hiding in corners to give ourselves a bit of a breather and then move on.

Also looking forward to Doom 4 Big Grin, as well as Frictional Game's next project, which may not be as 'scare' focused but will definitely deliver on the 'horror' atmosphere.

Siren Blood Curse was cool but Japanese devs aren't really used to first person view and they mapped the controls like a third person game in first person view, which was a huge problem.

Doom 3 was just too repetitive and some of the enemy spawns were surprisingly cheap, even though after a while you learned to be careful about certain sounds. The extension Resurrection of Evil at least mixed things up a bit.

Clock Tower 3 had some chase sequences involving a maniac and an unarmed woman, which could be very tense but often turned cheap because the woman would become paralyzed when the killer got too close, and then get clobbered to death without reaction. It was annoying.

Some of the same mechanics were reused in the Capcom-published Haunting Ground but they also added some of the more annoying Capcom survival horror mechanics (like a run button which was not in CT3), so all in all it could have been better.

First Dead Space was pretty neat, second was too action heavy and kind of became a grind towards the end. Plus the creative boss fights from DS1 were gone. The low gravity mechanics was made easier with some sort of jetpack, but it also diminished the game's personality in the process.

There is also a spooky game by From Software called Echo Night Beyond, which I have not played yet. I hear it's frightening but the controls are super clunky. Another Japanese first person title where the controls were not what westerners are used to.
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Find