Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game does not 'reset' map after you get an error?
LGX Offline

Threads: 1
Game does not 'reset' map after you get an error?

I'm new to this game engine and I'm having some problems. Basically I have made a little test map that works just fine. I recently added two shadow casting spotlights that overlap, I got that "FATAL ERROR" message. Ok no big deal, I guessed maybe the engine doesn't support two overlapping shadow casting lights. The problem is however, when I remove the lights and go back to the way my map was before (back when it worked fine) I still get the error!

In other words, I'm still getting the error even though I reverted back to my old map that used to work. The only way to 'solve' this apparantly is if I redo all the configs, restart the level editor and save the map again. This is extremely annoying and time consuming, am I missing something or..? Why does the error continue to plague me even if I remove the cause of the error? That doesn't make any sense.

I doubt the problem is related to my PC, I work with many engines such as UE3, CryEngine3, Source and an indie OpenGL engine, they all work fine.

Help is appreciated.

LGX

edit:

I think the problem is solved, it didn't have anything to do with lights or the editor itself. I had 3ds Max running in the background plus some other stuff. I closed those applications and so far I haven't gotten any more errors.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012, 03:58 AM by LGX.)
01-16-2012, 03:01 AM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35
RE: Game does not 'reset' map after you get an error?

What does the FATAL ERROR say?

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
01-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Find
LGX Offline

Something about 'Renderer #0', I will write it down when I get it again.

This is really weird, for some reason my map works fine again, this 'FATAL ERROR' seems to have a will of its own. I will do some further experimentation to see if I can corner the bastard. Tongue

edit:

Not sure if this makes any sense, but I no longer get the error if I use the 'Save as' function rather than 'Save'. I used to get the error when using items, multiple shadow casters, certain meshes. But now they all work fine.

/confused
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012, 03:16 AM by LGX.)
01-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

Have you done any scripting on this map?

01-16-2012, 03:16 AM
Find
LGX Offline

No, it's just a plain simple map.

BTW I have made an edit to my previous post.

edit:

Meh forget what I said, the error is back. I am completely lost here. Just half an hour ago my map with two shadow casters didn't work, then a few minutes ago it DOES work. Now I remove the lights again and the map doesn't work (even though it did work before).

So much for work motivation. Tongue

edit:

Magically all versions of my map work again. Trolololo?

Is it possible maybe that background applications conflict with the engine? Maybe a firewall, virusscanner, modeling software?
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012, 03:34 AM by LGX.)
01-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Find
eagledude4 Offline

Threads: 14

Maybe try deleting the map cache files?

Its hard to see the truth when you've been blinded by lies.
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Find