Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What other scary games are there? (for PC)
boredgunner Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What other scary games are there? (for PC)

The only other good horror game I've found that seems like it would scare people is Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason. Dead Space 1/2 are jokes... mindless shooters and nothing more. This applies to Doom, Resident Evil 4, and Resident Evil 5 as well. Don't bother with Silent Hill: Homecoming; it's a letdown to the series and doesn't seem really scary. Someone mentioned S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and he is correct - they're not horror games but even then, Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky are scarier than Dead Space/Doom/Resident Evil 4/5. Don't buy it for scares though since you might be disappointed if you're like me. They're excellent FPS/RPG crossovers with tons of mod potential though.
01-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Find
Imevil23 Offline

Threads: 23

(01-28-2012, 07:01 AM)boredgunner Wrote: The only other good horror game I've found that seems like it would scare people is Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason. Dead Space 1/2 are jokes... mindless shooters and nothing more. This applies to Doom, Resident Evil 4, and Resident Evil 5 as well. Don't bother with Silent Hill: Homecoming; it's a letdown to the series and doesn't seem really scary. Someone mentioned S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and he is correct - they're not horror games but even then, Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky are scarier than Dead Space/Doom/Resident Evil 4/5. Don't buy it for scares though since you might be disappointed if you're like me. They're excellent FPS/RPG crossovers with tons of mod potential though.
I like the Dead Space series for the story and the creepy gruesomeness. It's fun to blast zombie space aliens. Same applies to resident evil. They never scare me, but I dont play those to get scared.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM by Imevil23.)
01-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Find
boredgunner Offline

(01-28-2012, 07:58 AM)Imevil23 Wrote:
(01-28-2012, 07:01 AM)boredgunner Wrote: The only other good horror game I've found that seems like it would scare people is Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason. Dead Space 1/2 are jokes... mindless shooters and nothing more. This applies to Doom, Resident Evil 4, and Resident Evil 5 as well. Don't bother with Silent Hill: Homecoming; it's a letdown to the series and doesn't seem really scary. Someone mentioned S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and he is correct - they're not horror games but even then, Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky are scarier than Dead Space/Doom/Resident Evil 4/5. Don't buy it for scares though since you might be disappointed if you're like me. They're excellent FPS/RPG crossovers with tons of mod potential though.
I like the Dead Space series for the story and the creepy gruesomeness. It's fun to blast zombie space aliens. Same applies to resident evil. They never scare me, but I dont play those to get scared.

Yes but this is a scary games thread. Although even has shooters, I find Dead Space and Resident Evil 4/5 (mainly 5) to be repetitive and dull. RE5 is absurd... most boss fights were either a blob of worms or you sat on a turret the entire time. The level design also sucked.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 06:44 PM by boredgunner.)
01-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Find
Imevil23 Offline

(01-28-2012, 06:44 PM)boredgunner Wrote:
(01-28-2012, 07:58 AM)Imevil23 Wrote:

Yes but this is a scary games thread. Although even has shooters, I find Dead Space and Resident Evil 4/5 (mainly 5) to be repetitive and dull. RE5 is absurd... most boss fights were either a blob of worms or you sat on a turret the entire time. The level design also sucked.
Yeah, I'll admit that it does get boring. In fact, I haven't played it in like 5 months!

By the way, I got Dark Fall: Lost Souls, and let me tell you, it is creepy. Nothing scary happened, but it's the fact that something scary CAN happen scares me. if that made any sense.

01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Have you tried Metro 2033?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
01-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Website Find
Imevil23 Offline

(01-28-2012, 07:29 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Have you tried Metro 2033?
How could I forget about that?! No I haven't tried that, but I heard that it's pretty scary.

01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Find
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11

Metro's really cool. It didn't really scare me but it has a unique eerie atmosphere to it.
01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Find
boredgunner Offline

Metro 2033 isn't really much of a horror game, and it doesn't try to be. It is an excellent survival and first person adventure game with a good story though. Don't expect to be scared when playing it.
01-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Find
Imevil23 Offline

(01-28-2012, 08:12 PM)boredgunner Wrote: Metro 2033 isn't really much of a horror game, and it doesn't try to be. It is an excellent survival and first person adventure game with a good story though. Don't expect to be scared when playing it.
I'd still like to try it

01-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

I think what we all forget is that fear develops over time, it is not a item that can be given and taken away. It grows in a man and will stay there once fully developed unless cleansed. Amnesia, the mass infection from the mind of the deeply minded Howard Phillip Lovecraft, is a short novel of a game but may last a life time. It intertwines with the development of fear for it stops you at your tracks for a period of time that can never be estimated. Though sense fear does take time to form into the blank darkness that is its whole, a media oriented playing device, a game, must be a length at which your sanity may be lowered so fear can come in. A example I bring is id software's (Id is the part of the mind in which innate instinctive impulses and primary processes are manifest) Doom 3. As I have mentioned before, being with weaponry and ways of defense brings security and peace that which Doom 3 does have but one must realize that may only go so far. The game, Doom 3, is roughly twenty-four hours in length, a full day. This game brings no rewards as you play, it brings no peace, no time where you can rest your sanity. No. None. You dive deeper and deeper into hell, deeper as you go you can't escape. Now does this sense of hell and fear stay as you play? It depends of course. If you play for only an hour or two every day of the week, no. It will not. Though if you take some time, in this short life that we have, to attempt to play this game in one sitting. No breaks, no pauses, no food, no drinks, no friends or family... only you in that old station on mars with your only company being hell. Soon as you play, soon into the deep hours on that station you will begin to sweat. You will begin to shake softly; deeply paranoid as you continue. As the hours deepen, as you seem to make no progress in your life, as your weapons seem to get weak as you go along, your flashlight seeming dimmer and less of a friend, demons and creatures will seem to stalk you through the dark corridor, you will not be able to stay away from the engrossing fear. After hours...hours...and hours you will not be the same man. You will become your character. No food, no drinks and no sleep. You must push through the fear and continue. For a full day of fear. Can you do it?

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Website Find