Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: What do you think will be in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs?

(05-13-2012, 07:27 PM)Bridge Wrote:
DamascusRose Wrote:Amnesia and Penumbra are already heavily inspired by Lovecraft's works, which is apparent in many ways. But if you are looking for an entirely Lovecraft based game, there is one, it's called Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth.

If only it weren't so buggy and had a good ending. Still one of my favorites though; really great game.
I haven't actually played it unfortunately, only heard about it. It's still on a list of games I would definitely like to try one day!

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(05-13-2012, 07:46 PM)GingerMonster Wrote: More diverse monsters
I, when I was first playing Amnesia 1 and had a glimpse of the Water Horror, was hoping to have an area where you were completely underwater and have a water monster chase you.

As for what Bridge said, I didn't realize they were short stories. I guess it's better to have a game using Lovecraft themes because that way you can have a longer story.

Damascus_Rose, thank you for letting me know that the games were already heavily Lovecraft based. I had heard before (back when I first started playing Amnesia 1) that the games were Lovecraft based, but hadn't realized then just how much of the Lovecraft themes they used in Penumbra and Amnesia 1. Considering that Lovecraft Stories were short, I guess all I was truly saying was adding some more of his themes to the games. Lovecraft had various dangerous entities such as Shub-Niggurath, Cthulhu, and more. Any/All of these entities could be based off of to have as the major 'bad-guy' (or girl in Niggurath's case) in a future game. Niggurath's Dark Young are tree-like, can you imagine a harmless tree suddenly jumping out at you with legs and tentacles? The Deep Ones are fish monsters that, as far as I've seen them in the card game, have the ability to walk on land. Lovecraft has so many monsters that I probably haven't heard of (but any of you could have) that could fit in Amnesia 2.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2012, 02:15 AM by The Rock Worm.)
05-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(05-14-2012, 02:15 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Damascus_Rose, thank you for letting me know that the games were already heavily Lovecraft based. I had heard before (back when I first started playing Amnesia 1) that the games were Lovecraft based, but hadn't realized then just how much of the Lovecraft themes they used in Penumbra and Amnesia 1. Considering that Lovecraft Stories were short, I guess all I was truly saying was adding some more of his themes to the games. Lovecraft had various dangerous entities such as Shub-Niggurath, Cthulhu, and more. Any/All of these entities could be based off of to have as the major 'bad-guy' (or girl in Niggurath's case) in a future game. Niggurath's Dark Young are tree-like, can you imagine a harmless tree suddenly jumping out at you with legs and tentacles? The Deep Ones are fish monsters that, as far as I've seen them in the card game, have the ability to walk on land. Lovecraft has so many monsters that I probably haven't heard of (but any of you could have) that could fit in Amnesia 2.
If you want an example of Lovecraft themes from Amnesia, you can look in the super_secret.rar then creatures and characters art, and look at some of the old monster designs. The first grunt and brute designs look very Lovecraftian, especially the brute. Also that old_misc has concept monsters that are very Lovecraftian with the plants growing out of them.. and plant like bodies. Also the whole deal with hiding in the shadows from monsters in penumbra and amnesia is inspired from the stories. This one is kinda obvious, but the engine frictional made is called the initials of Lovecraft.. HPL. But you probably already knew most of these.

As for AMFP, the whole design of it could be a lot different from TDD. The developers from the game aren't gonna have the same kind of inspiration Frictional did from lovecraft I'm fairly sure, and they will go about doing scares and environments and entities in their own ways. So we can't really expect that it will be more Lovecraft themed than the previous games. I'm sure they will do a great job though.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
05-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Find
Datzy Offline

Threads: 0

Smarter AI
- Sound Detection
- Improved Visual Detection
- Smoother Movement

That's all I really want in A:MFP, TDD was perfect and all that could possibly improve it would be a more responsive and smart AI.
05-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Website Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

[http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion (Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 191 )

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
05-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

A few things I would like to see..

Less light - I know it sounds odd, but I think having less chances to use a lantern or flashlight makes the game more scary. Making the player walk towards light sources e.t.c

Less monsters - Only having them at moments when players least expect. Moments like when the player picks up an object or opens a door are predictable. Not sure how they can add that for random spawns, but it would change the playthroughs every time you play it again.

Restarts - When the player dies, the player should start at the start of the level. Monsters are back in the original spawns so the player can learn from their mistakes.

Level Freedom - I liked the idea of going to different areas to get parts of a puzzle and using them to get forward. I'd like more freedom with the levels. More wide open spaces like a village or something, with monsters wondering around, something like that anyway.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
05-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Find
Brennenburg Offline

Threads: 9

Tinderboxes, Machines for Pigs.. xD

[Image: TRcp2.png]
05-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Find
Brennenburg Offline

Threads: 9
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

(05-12-2012, 11:02 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(05-11-2012, 07:35 AM)Brennenburg Wrote:
(05-11-2012, 04:00 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 10:46 PM)Brennenburg Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 02:39 PM)Oscar House Wrote: Where did you get this incorrect information?
Nope, he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKfS8Cr0d...e=g-user-u
Not necessarily for AMFP.

So what you are saying is that the original sound developer isn't working on MFP but makes a video with the Shadow from Amnesia roaring at the beginner? Also the game that will use HPL3 isn't revealed yet and it actually might not be another Amnesia.
The audio designer for AMFP has already been revealed and I recall reading him saying that Tapio is not working on it, and Tapio saying it himself. The reason the shadow sound is there at the beginning could be because he is best known for amnesia sound design. The new game that will use HPL3 could literally be anything, another amnesia is a possibility but Frictional has said they want to move on and try new things. And you say it might not be another Amnesia as if somebody thought it was going to be? What...
Collaborating.

[Image: TRcp2.png]
05-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

I like how people are making false/true statements and then everybody argues about it. Maybe they are collaborating or maybe Tapio is making the sounds for the new Frictional Games game (Not AMFP)...

Argue Proof ©
You cannot argue or state anything from this post. You cannot copy or share this post with anyone. If you still would want to do so, you can always contact -_-@gmail.com for further information.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM by Mehis.)
05-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

Tapio is a fantastic sound designer, but unfortunately he is not working on AMFP.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Find