Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: [Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs] wtf... pigs

(06-19-2012, 01:00 PM)Oink Wrote: I don't find YouTube's Let's Plays of ATDD scary, but the immersion when actually playing the game is a different matter entirely ........... Smile
judging a horror game by watching its videos is the worst mistake you can make.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Find
Oink Offline

Threads: 0

(06-19-2012, 01:09 PM)CowardlyDog Wrote:
(06-19-2012, 01:00 PM)Oink Wrote: I don't find YouTube's Let's Plays of ATDD scary, but the immersion when actually playing the game is a different matter entirely ........... Smile
judging a horror game by watching its videos is the worst mistake you can make.
Exactly, which is the point that I was trying to make. Smile
06-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(06-17-2012, 11:12 PM)palistov Wrote: 1) Don't sprout more threads about AAMFP. It's fantastic and exciting, we know. There's already an enormous thread where you can jabber all you want about it.

2) You say that now, but when you're pissing your pants while playing AAMFP this coming fall, I'm sure you'll eat your words with a dash of salt and relish the slight trace of bacon. Don't assume you know a game when you're judging it entirely based on a completely different and unrelated reality.

For some people horror games (and movies too) do not cause them to be very scary. Besides even if I do end up eating my words at least I know my wallet will not have suffered traumatically... Wink

06-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

(06-20-2012, 02:24 AM)darkely Wrote:
(06-17-2012, 11:12 PM)palistov Wrote: 1) Don't sprout more threads about AAMFP. It's fantastic and exciting, we know. There's already an enormous thread where you can jabber all you want about it.

2) You say that now, but when you're pissing your pants while playing AAMFP this coming fall, I'm sure you'll eat your words with a dash of salt and relish the slight trace of bacon. Don't assume you know a game when you're judging it entirely based on a completely different and unrelated reality.

For some people horror games (and movies too) do not cause them to be very scary. Besides even if I do end up eating my words at least I know my wallet will not have suffered traumatically... Wink
Well, don't let your wallet see you playing the game, kai? Or else it will come to life and beg you to stop and give it's money back :S

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 02:59 AM by RawkBandMan.)
06-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

That may be so. There are people on both extremes of the spectrum -- people who run around and ignore monsters, and people who literally scream like small children when confronted by monsters. But I quite firmly believe that "not being scared" by Amnesia is a result of an individual simply not willing to commit themselves to the experience.

When I work on a custom story or something involving monsters I go into the game without the mindset of experiencing it -- I'm testing it and trying to break it. Even then I can get a bit started or creeped out, but it isn't anything like actually playing the game. When I do play the game, I often find myself cowering in a corner and wanting to quit. It's all a matter of whether or not you're in a proper mental state.

FG even gives you a spiel about how you should play Amnesia. If you don't adhere to their guidelines, don't expect to be genuinely frightened. And if you treat Amnesia as a challenge to be beat, or in other words, approach it with the mindset of "Scary? Pft, like hell it's scary. Let's see if this game is really scary." and you test it, and try to beat it, you likely won't be scared.

If you want to enjoy the experience, and not let your wallet "experience trauma", I suggest you drop all your assumptions about how Amnesia and Amnesia's universe aligns with the world we live in. Of course pigs aren't scary. Pigs are fuckin adorable. They're generally pink, hairy, fat, short-legged creatures that make the most ridiculous sound in the world. But Amnesia is different from the real world. You want to enjoy Amnesia? Then when you start playing, exit the real world. Enter Amnesia.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 03:50 AM by palistov.)
06-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Find
Measuring Offline

Threads: 16

(06-20-2012, 03:48 AM)palistov Wrote: That may be so. There are people on both extremes of the spectrum -- people who run around and ignore monsters, and people who literally scream like small children when confronted by monsters. But I quite firmly believe that "not being scared" by Amnesia is a result of an individual simply not willing to commit themselves to the experience.

When I work on a custom story or something involving monsters I go into the game without the mindset of experiencing it -- I'm testing it and trying to break it. Even then I can get a bit started or creeped out, but it isn't anything like actually playing the game. When I do play the game, I often find myself cowering in a corner and wanting to quit. It's all a matter of whether or not you're in a proper mental state.

FG even gives you a spiel about how you should play Amnesia. If you don't adhere to their guidelines, don't expect to be genuinely frightened. And if you treat Amnesia as a challenge to be beat, or in other words, approach it with the mindset of "Scary? Pft, like hell it's scary. Let's see if this game is really scary." and you test it, and try to beat it, you likely won't be scared.

If you want to enjoy the experience, and not let your wallet "experience trauma", I suggest you drop all your assumptions about how Amnesia and Amnesia's universe aligns with the world we live in. Of course pigs aren't scary. Pigs are fuckin adorable. They're generally pink, hairy, fat, short-legged creatures that make the most ridiculous sound in the world. But Amnesia is different from the real world. You want to enjoy Amnesia? Then when you start playing, exit the real world. Enter Amnesia.
You sir, you are absolutely right!

The Facility
Tenebris Lake
Killings In Altstadt
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 04:03 AM by Measuring.)
06-20-2012, 04:02 AM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

Pigs are hot.
06-20-2012, 04:11 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(06-20-2012, 03:48 AM)palistov Wrote: That may be so. There are people on both extremes of the spectrum -- people who run around and ignore monsters, and people who literally scream like small children when confronted by monsters. But I quite firmly believe that "not being scared" by Amnesia is a result of an individual simply not willing to commit themselves to the experience.

Thank you (genuinely) - I suppose I do not need to stop thinking about it so much. Like in Penumbra I remember feeling scared because I felt like I was actually underground and fighting... despite the fact that [imo] that the Penumbra games were the best there ever was (horror/fear wise) I think I am going to enjoy the new game.

06-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

(06-17-2012, 01:02 PM)darkely Wrote: [Image: 17135524_TPDthx_XB.png]
Wish they'd use that image as the icon for AAMFP, or would that be too ironic? That tail looks like a corkscrew.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM by Chrysler.)
06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Find
Oink Offline

Threads: 0

(06-20-2012, 04:11 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: Pigs are hot.
Only if you roast them on a spit. Wink
06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Find