Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(07-14-2012, 12:19 PM)Oink Wrote: A question for Samuel Justice - I recall reading somewhere that AAMFP was tailored more for loudspeakers as opposed to headphones (although of course headphones can still be used). Is there a reason for this? ATDD was more tailored for headphones and most people seem to play it that way.

Just curious. Smile
It's the way all games and movies are made. We have to monitor our audio on professional audio equipment to make sure the mix stands up well and there are no nasties hiding away. So if you want the experience closest to what the audio guys intended, it's best to listen to it on a home cinema system.

Unless we designed the entire audio experience to be binaural, but then that limits it to only headphones, and I don't know of any game that has ever gone that route.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2012, 08:55 PM by samueljustice00.)
07-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Unless we designed the entire audio experience to be binaural, but then
that limits it to only headphones, and I don't know of any game that has
ever gone that route.
Oooooh you mean like those crazy binaural beats? But wouldn't that be awesome? I mean aren't they supposed to have all kinds of fun effects on the brain? Good way to break the fourth wall with the insanity mechanic Big Grin
07-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-14-2012, 04:55 PM)Kein Wrote:
(07-14-2012, 08:49 AM)GrAVit Wrote: [...]So that when you died, the game would exit itself.

... delete savegame and format the harddrive. Full immersion.

Once upon a time there was a game called Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor . It was so bad, that when you tried to uninstall it, it would format your harddrive.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Find
Oink Offline

Threads: 0

(07-14-2012, 08:51 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote:
(07-14-2012, 12:19 PM)Oink Wrote: A question for Samuel Justice - I recall reading somewhere that AAMFP was tailored more for loudspeakers as opposed to headphones (although of course headphones can still be used). Is there a reason for this? ATDD was more tailored for headphones and most people seem to play it that way.

Just curious. Smile
It's the way all games and movies are made. We have to monitor our audio on professional audio equipment to make sure the mix stands up well and there are no nasties hiding away. So if you want the experience closest to what the audio guys intended, it's best to listen to it on a home cinema system.

Unless we designed the entire audio experience to be binaural, but then that limits it to only headphones, and I don't know of any game that has ever gone that route.
Thanks very much for the explanation. That's satisfied my curiosity. Smile
07-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Achievement Earned! Spammer: Post 1,000 times on the FG Forums!

*zing*

07-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

(07-14-2012, 10:22 PM)palistov Wrote: Achievement Earned! Spammer: Post 1,000 times on the FG Forums!

*zing*
Achievement Earned! Banned: Try to get bigger post count with useless post!

The only way to make the music seamless, is to only have the chasing music. We can still have the ambient music in the background while we hear the sounds of a creepy monster. The music would just need to be soft but creepy at the same time.
07-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

(07-14-2012, 09:15 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: Unless we designed the entire audio experience to be binaural, but then
that limits it to only headphones, and I don't know of any game that has
ever gone that route.
Oooooh you mean like those crazy binaural beats? But wouldn't that be awesome? I mean aren't they supposed to have all kinds of fun effects on the brain? Good way to break the fourth wall with the insanity mechanic Big Grin
Binaural is basically a recording method where the microphones are placed at a similar/exact angle that mirrors our ear canals. It records a near perfect stereo image exactly as our ears hear it, but you can currently only get the effect by listening to it on headphones. There is another method called ambiphonics which allows playback using a speaker, but it requires a very precise speaker setup that isn't consumer friendly. It's pretty fascinating to understand why current stereo recordings lack the depth that our ears have, it's down to very subtle things such as if you were listening to violin in a more directed position (let's say slightly left to yourself) the sound reaching your left ear will arrive a few milliseconds earlier than your right, and be slightly louder, whilst your right ear will also pick up slightly more reverberation etc.

I could go on for a long time about it all but would end up boring you guys to tears! But if you own a pair of headphones (doesn't matter what spec, any will do!) find a binaural recording online to listen to. Ambiences work well, you can close your eyes and it feels as though you have been transported to the place you're listening to.

Now, slightly different - what sounds put you on edge? Let's say you were in a dark room and you heard something that really didn't sit well - what is it? Always good for research for Pigs and interesting to read!

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
07-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

If you've played TDD, Samuel you will probably remember the creaking footsteps in the wine cellar or laboratory areas. That was one of the most unsettling atmospheres for me at least. I get uncomfortable hearing creaks and cracks in the walls.

One of the things that was weird about the dungeon atmospheres in TDD was that you didn't hear things that would be far off in the distance. For example if you know there are monsters roaming the area (supposedly), you would hear them open doors, walk around, knock things out of their way, etc even if they're on the other side of the map. It just felt weird when I didn't hear hints of something sinister roaming the area, and all of a sudden I hear it growl and come around a corner.

Perhaps more subtle hints as to the presence of monsters would help build up tension.

07-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

Silence. Sometimes when playing a horror game, hearing nothing can be pretty nerve breaking.

> Silence
> Hear footsteps, other possible hostile sounds
> I'm ded
07-15-2012, 03:03 AM
Find
Kazakarumariou Away
An angry man.

Threads: 8

Please tell me, It's custom story compatible.
07-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Find