Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(03-08-2013, 11:21 AM)Clord Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 05:57 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 05:16 AM)3dge Wrote: Just don't charge through the game holding sprint and activating chair modes or have intercourse with your own voice while throwing a dead and rotten pig corpse.
LOL, a reference to PewDiePie. FYI, i hated him. I liked Cry a lot more. And, please don't yell at me, this is just an opinion. PewDiePie musn't play this. He has ruined too much games.

Ruined? Those Youtubers are the reason why the game keeps selling so well for the most part.

But yeah, if you ignore sale figures and talk about enjoyment. Don't let some PewDiePie ruin game for you. It is not like he makes you to watch his videos.

Also. Once the game comes out. We can probably stop mentioning him for a while since we are way more interested about the game itself.
Well yeah, thanks to those guys the games are selling well, but those who watch the Let's Play of it WILL get the wrong impression. Amnesia is scary. Thanks to pewdiepie, it's now funny. People get the wrong impression and runs throughout the story screaming "Stephano!" or "Mr. Chair!"

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Bullshit, Amnesia is scary even when he plays it. You should stop letting other people dictate your taste.
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

Just wrote a post and it all disappeared on me so I have to type it again.

We talking about Pewdiepie now? I did not find his The Dark Descent Lets Play particularly bad. From what I know, he started becoming overly silly when playing custom stories, and he tried to joke around as a means to continue the game as he was too afraid to go on. If I recall correctly, Pewdiepie read through all notes (or at least all the important diary entries) and refered to flashbacks, while many other Lets Plays completely skip voiced diaries, saying they do not at all care about story and immersion and are in the biggest rush completing the game. Now those are the Let's Plays I dislike.

(03-08-2013, 11:50 AM)Funderbunk Wrote: Bullshit, Amnesia is scary even when he plays it. You should stop letting other people dictate your taste.

I agree, The Dark Descent storymode is scary even if you watch others play it, and I would like to add Pewdiepie to that list. In fact, I could really sense his fear when playing it, which can easily spread, depending on the viewer. You do get immersion. However, there is no substitute for actual experience, and there is no way you can actually compare the two - The game will be a ton lot scarier to play with your own two hands. The responsibility and immersion will be much greater, for sure. While the game will still be scary to watch, it cannot match the terror of actually playing it. ;)

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 12:34 PM by Diz.)
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-08-2013, 12:32 PM)Diz Wrote: Just wrote a post and it all disappeared on me so I have to type it again.

We talking about Pewdiepie now? I did not find his The Dark Descent Lets Play particularly bad. From what I know, he started becoming overly silly when playing custom stories, and he tried to joke around as a means to continue the game as he was too afraid to go on. If I recall correctly, Pewdiepie read through all notes (or at least all the important diary entries) and refered to flashbacks, while many other Lets Plays completely skip voiced diaries, saying they do not at all care about story and immersion and are in the biggest rush completing the game. Now those are the Let's Plays I dislike.

(03-08-2013, 11:50 AM)Funderbunk Wrote: Bullshit, Amnesia is scary even when he plays it. You should stop letting other people dictate your taste.

I agree, The Dark Descent storymode is scary even if you watch others play it, and I would like to add Pewdiepie to that list. In fact, I could really sense his fear when playing it, which can easily spread, depending on the viewer. You do get immersion. However, there is no substitute for actual experience, and there is no way you can actually compare the two - The game will be a ton lot scarier to play it with your own two hands. The responsibility and immersion will be much greater, for sure. While the game will still be scary to watch, it cannot match the terror of actually playing it. Wink

Compare pewdies videos from the original Amnesia and now. See the difference?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Well yeah, thanks to those guys the games are selling well, but those who watch the Let's Play of it WILL get the wrong impression. Amnesia is scary. Thanks to pewdiepie, it's now funny. People get the wrong impression and runs throughout the story screaming "Stephano!" or "Mr. Chair!"
What's the problem? After all, if they decide to mimic the behaviour of some Let's Player, it's their own horror experience they're ruining, not yours. It's not like Frictional/thechineseroom will start catering to that crowd all of a sudden - they just take those people's money and continue making superb horror with it. Big Grin
As for potential buyers getting the wrong impression of the game - I think most of them will be able to see that it's merely the player who's being silly, not the game.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Find
Diz Offline

(03-08-2013, 12:35 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Compare pewdies videos from the original Amnesia and now. See the difference?

As I briefly mentioned in my former post, I noticed this development of his when he moved on to custom stories. The videos became sillier and way less immersive, less my cup of tea when it comes to an immersive and serious game, but I did enjoy his The Dark Descent video as I felt he only did the joking as a means to build up courage. =)

I would not mind look up his A Machine For Pigs Let's Play when it undoubtfully pops up. If it becomes too silly and non-immersive, I likely won't keep on watching it. However, we must remember that A Machine For Pigs will be very terrifying, both for new players and Amnesia veterans, so if you liked his The Dark Descent playthrough, I think he will be less comfortable and less used to how it works when doing A Machine For Pigs in comparement to custom stories. Of course, I will play the game myself before watching any Let's Plays of it (and perhaps make one myself just so I can hear how scared I was, tee-hee-hee ...!)

03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Find
Chocolandra Love Offline

Threads: 0

Quote:Well yeah, thanks to those guys the games are selling well, but those who watch the Let's Play of it WILL get the wrong impression. Amnesia is scary. Thanks to pewdiepie, it's now funny. People get the wrong impression and runs throughout the story screaming "Stephano!" or "Mr. Chair!"

So because I watch his videos I'm suddenly going to start emulating him while I play? ridiculous.

If someone can't play a game like amnesia without immersing themselves in the slightest, and then just starts acting like someone they saw in a video, then something is wrong... and that something isn't pewdiepie.
03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

If Pewdie plays AAMFP which I am 99% sure he will then it will only benefit the game. Youtube plays a vital role in marketing a game, you can't deny that.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Find
Diz Offline

(03-08-2013, 01:32 PM)Chocolandra Love Wrote: If someone can't play a game like amnesia without immersing themselves in the slightest, and then just starts acting like someone they saw in a video, then something is wrong... and that something isn't pewdiepie.

Welcome to the boards. =)

I agree. Watching Let's Plays of Amnesia will not ruin all of the immersion if one decides to play it themselves, and one is going to feel the true terror when actually playing it with their own hands. However, if one decides to watch a Let's Play and then play it themselves, I believe it may affect the immersion somewhat because it already is familiar and you might know what is coming up, thus not having the same terror as one would have when playing blind, so I do recommend watching the trailer or just a very little bit of a Let's Play and then play it yourself if you have plans of doing so, in order to have the best experience and amnesia condition effect.

There are players who are unable to immersing themselves, and those may easily find Amnesia to be a boring game. Craving for action, etc. Though that has more to do with them personally than with watching others playing it before they try it themselves, I would say.

Do join us in our intriguing speculation regarding the upcoming Amnesia game, A Machine For Pigs. Excited?

03-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

(03-08-2013, 12:32 PM)Diz Wrote: We talking about Pewdiepie now? I did not find his The Dark Descent Lets Play particularly bad.
Yep, I actually enjoyed watching them. Maybe he could take AAMFP just a little more seriously and actually try to immerse himself. Then I'd surely watch it.

But nonetheless I like those big Let's Players play these games, as it eventually just helps Frictional Games.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Website Find