Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Amnesia A Machine for Pigs sound design

High dynamics in the sound just sounds awesome. Its going to sound huge.

Is this going to support 5.1 surround sound at all or is that asking for a little too much? haha
02-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Website Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

(02-27-2012, 07:18 PM)Darkchef Wrote: High dynamics in the sound just sounds awesome. Its going to sound huge.

Is this going to support 5.1 surround sound at all or is that asking for a little too much? haha
Unfortunately not, 5.1 requires a huge investment in terms of monitoring systems and investment into the engine which is instead going on awesome content for you guys.

(02-27-2012, 02:47 PM)TheGrandHero Wrote: Greetings Sam! Good to hear from a member of the development team about their work on the game.

Quote:This means that when the scares happen, your underwear will be soiled because they will be loud!
Just as long as it's not too loud. I tend to play games like this with headphones on and I want to be scared, not in pain. Wink I trust you know what you're doing, though, so I look forward to playing the game later this year and listening to what you're cooking up for us.
Hey TheGrandHero, don't worry about that, the reference levels have been carefully researched to make sure that it never goes over the human threshold for pain/damaging of ears. If you experience any pain whilst playing then it is definately something you need to consult a medical professional about.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote: This means that when the scares happen, your underwear will be soiled because they will be loud!
That actually sounds extremely annoying, I know why movies do what you just described, and I think it's poor design, why? I have very sensitive ears, and I being deafened and having my ears in pain by something very loud, a scare or something in a movie doesn't sound like my idea of a good time, I don't want to have to turn the volume up a ton just to hear dialogue, and then have my ears in utter agony because of how loud it is, for christ's sake even a dog yapping can make me wince in pain.

I really hope you consider putting an option in to avoid this...dynamic sound thing you've talked about, especially since I feel it's worth mentioning that Amnesia has stunning audio that can scare the piss out of you...without needing to rely on such a cheap gimmick.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Website Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

(02-27-2012, 08:39 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
Quote: This means that when the scares happen, your underwear will be soiled because they will be loud!
That actually sounds extremely annoying, I know why movies do what you just described, and I think it's poor design, why? I have very sensitive ears, and I being deafened and having my ears in pain by something very loud, a scare or something in a movie doesn't sound like my idea of a good time, I don't want to have to turn the volume up a ton just to hear dialogue, and then have my ears in utter agony because of how loud it is, for christ's sake even a dog yapping can make me wince in pain.

I really hope you consider putting an option in to avoid this...dynamic sound thing you've talked about, especially since I feel it's worth mentioning that Amnesia has stunning audio that can scare the piss out of you...without needing to rely on such a cheap gimmick.
Sorry to hear that. I am looking at putting in a compressed range option later on in development, it all depends on how much time is available to us.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Find
pcrk2 Offline

Threads: 4
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

anyone else seen this teaser ?
off-topic: Everybody's gone to the Rapture sounds amazing
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM by pcrk2.)
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Find
SilentKilla78 Offline

Threads: 0

Just incase anyone here has Android like myself, I found a sound meter app, just search it in the app store and it should be the first one.
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

(02-27-2012, 08:07 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote:
(02-27-2012, 07:18 PM)Darkchef Wrote: High dynamics in the sound just sounds awesome. Its going to sound huge.

Unfortunately not, 5.1 requires a huge investment in terms of monitoring systems and investment into the engine which is instead going on awesome content for you guys.
Damn... I thought so. Ah well looking forward to playing the game...

02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Website Find
GetAgrippa Offline

(02-27-2012, 08:48 PM)pcrk2 Wrote: anyone else seen this teaser ?
off-topic: Everybody's gone to the Rapture sounds amazing
Is this legit? I have serious chills right now O_O

If Fate frowns, we all perish.
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(02-27-2012, 01:13 PM)Nyarlathotep Wrote:
Quote:thechineseroom's (horrendous) development history is very relevant and
many users are just as worried as he is that A Machine for Pigs can turn
out to be dreadful.

What is so Horrendous about it? They're generally well received. Outside of the Dear Esther remake, they have only created free mods.

Korsakovia was a gameplay heavy horror mod that had amazing work done as far as dialogue, music, and general atmosphere was concerned. Its visuals weren't too great and it was unpolished, gameplay wise... But again, it was a free mod.
Yes, I replayed Korsakovia recently until the point where it crashes for just about everyone, apparently. Fortunately, it crashed pretty early on because I wasn't enjoying a single bit of it! All I had to do was circlestrafe around loud clouds of dust. The first one was slightly startling, but each one became more and more of a chore. More than one at a time was no problem because I could run away at superhuman speeds and close the door behind me.

I recall Conscientious Objector being more meritorious than their other two "efforts," but even then, it was just a few levels of Doom 3 with enemy scripts changed so they would get up after being shot. That's not very impressive!

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Website Find
Exostalker Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Amnesia: a machine for pigs?

I hope that all the things from original amnesia will work in this one too. So that way we can build even better custom stories.

02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Find