Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(12-28-2012, 04:34 PM)Kein Wrote: Knowing who is developing the game I assume it will be more story-driven and immerse, rather than puzzle-oriented like Penumbra. No, that does not mean there will be no puzzles or interaction at all, sigh.

We know story is what makes a game really good. However, I would be bored out of my mind if the game had little puzzles and interaction.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
12-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

(12-27-2012, 12:53 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 12:27 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: That's what I'm hoping for as well. Penumbra as far better than Amnesia in terms of puzzles, story, and smarter monsters. Amnesia was good for its better scare mechanics. Combine the two would be awsome.

Yes, but the problem of Amnesia's horror mechanics is that most of the horror is "imposed". Like the image colorizing effects and other things which wanted to "force" fear. Penumbra never forced fear, because the environments are more seriously. I never felt like to be in a game when playing Penumbra. In Amnesia that was different, the problem is when a game wants to be scary, it is not. This is why I think, Penumbra is a better horror experience at all.

This is one thing we've been working on hard. Making the scares relevant to the story and actions of the player, instead of being forced.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(12-30-2012, 09:43 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 12:27 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: That's what I'm hoping for as well. Penumbra as far better than Amnesia in terms of puzzles, story, and smarter monsters. Amnesia was good for its better scare mechanics. Combine the two would be awsome.

Yes, but the problem of Amnesia's horror mechanics is that most of the horror is "imposed". Like the image colorizing effects and other things which wanted to "force" fear. Penumbra never forced fear, because the environments are more seriously. I never felt like to be in a game when playing Penumbra. In Amnesia that was different, the problem is when a game wants to be scary, it is not. This is why I think, Penumbra is a better horror experience at all.

This is one thing we've been working on hard. Making the scares relevant to the story and actions of the player, instead of being forced.

A suggestion: add random stuff. Things that don't just happen whether you enter an area or not, but things that happen and they do not look like they're triggered by something, like 1/2 probability something would happen 5/10 minutes you stay in the same area or something. I'm trying to do this in my custom story at the moment Smile

listen to boards of canada
12-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(12-31-2012, 12:38 AM)Hardarm Wrote:

A suggestion: add random stuff. Things that don't just happen whether you enter an area or not, but things that happen and they do not look like they're triggered by something, like 1/2 probability something would happen 5/10 minutes you stay in the same area or something. I'm trying to do this in my custom story at the moment Smile

I disagree in it's usage with AMFP; seems a bit too 'hit-and-miss' for something like this.

And very right you are to do this, for AMFP's outlining horror is centered toward the disturbing and dark happenings of the Machine. Revealing what that horror is might overwhelm a player with grief, loathing, and a crushing sense of metaphorical philosophy: "That all depends, on what one considers a pig."
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 02:06 AM by failedALIAS.)
12-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

We'll soon know if the release really is 1 of january.
12-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(12-31-2012, 12:38 AM)Hardarm Wrote: A suggestion: add random stuff. Things that don't just happen whether you enter an area or not, but things that happen and they do not look like they're triggered by something, like 1/2 probability something would happen 5/10 minutes you stay in the same area or something. I'm trying to do this in my custom story at the moment Smile

I hope they implement that. That is the main reproach I have to do to TDD: since everything is scripted, once you've played that game, you will never have the same feelings when re-playing it.
12-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Find
Respekt Offline

(12-31-2012, 02:10 AM)maarten12100 Wrote: We'll soon know if the release really is 1 of january.
Disappoint ... In January, the release will be. If you will be, at the very end.
12-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(12-31-2012, 09:40 AM)Respekt Wrote:
(12-31-2012, 02:10 AM)maarten12100 Wrote: We'll soon know if the release really is 1 of january.

Disappoint ... In January, the release will be. If you will be, at the very end.
I'll be at the very end too.

[Image: p229xcq]
12-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

As Daniel once said, I doubt that very much. If they entered the alpha stage on Christmas, it's more likely to come out on march or april, or even later.
12-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

(12-31-2012, 12:38 AM)Hardarm Wrote:

yes this, make so that the monsters are not spawned instantly after you enter a new room or area like you see in the last trailer>
12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Find