Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia in Kotakus 12 Best Games on PC
SquigPie Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia in Kotakus 12 Best Games on PC

Why did they only put the most recent games in the series in that list? Saying SC2 is better than SC is just stupid. And what the fuck is Minecraft doing there?! Notch just threw a random bunch of mods into the unfinished game and called it 1.0

Also, Googolplex certainly lives up to his name with that post.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012, 11:03 PM by SquigPie.)
02-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

I can't believe someone who doesn't like shooter or shooter/rpg-type games is claiming that they suck. I don't particularly care for onions, but that doesn't mean I go up to everyone that likes them and tell them how wrong they are and how they must have the exact same taste buds that I do or else something is wrong with them. Does sound kind of crazy doesn't it?
And yes, we all know this is an Amnesia forum, but I missed the clause when I signed up to this site that said I swear to like Amnesia, the whole Amnesia, and nothing but Amnesia. There are other games out there, and putting down everybody that dares to mention a game made by someone besides Frictional makes you seem quite narrow-minded and extremely immature.
We should be a bit more accepting of people's tastes and not start arguments so easily. Wink
02-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(02-11-2012, 11:02 PM)SquigPie Wrote: Why did they only put the most recent games in the series in that list? Saying SC2 is better than SC is just stupid. And what the fuck is Minecraft doing there?! Notch just threw a random bunch of mods into the unfinished game and called it 1.0

Also, Googolplex certainly lives up to his name with that post.
They're not saying it's better, the article is for the top recent games

Though to say it isn't might get some South Koreans angry at you

There's already been discussion of how minecraft isn't as shitty as some people say it is in another thread, so don't start something along those lines here

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012, 12:54 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
02-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Reading the posts of this thread was... FUN XD

It is great to see how Amnesia is getting recognised by many different critics of games and such and I wish FG all the best in the future...

As for the drama... I've been on a few forums in my time and from experience it is very easy to get personal with opinions and such. Sometimes its best to not go into massive detail to avoid saying something which will trigger a reaction. It also does help if you don't post an opinion as a fact which everyone has to agree with. Nobody likes a dictator do they?

Highlight of this thread = "Battlefield 3's graphics on ultra are standard"
If you think this then you must really hate Amnesia and Penumbra's graphics.

[Image: luv.gif]
02-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Find
xdeath Offline

Threads: 2

(02-11-2012, 06:35 PM)Googolplex Wrote: *A huge amount of undecipherable babble*
All that time you spent writing goes to waste as nobody can understand you.
As I understood it:

You were going on about how action in games is bad...
...something about baldurs gate...
...dragon age pops up here...
...[I start to skip ahead]...
...Skyrim is really great.

...Wait Skyrim is an ACTION RPG, I thought you said action was bad.
02-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(02-12-2012, 01:17 AM)Lucke Wrote: Highlight of this thread = "Battlefield 3's graphics on ultra are standard"

This is why I self are an 2D artist and create photoreal textures.

So, my level of quality may is higher than other, casual gamers feelings.
As EA hyped the graphics on BF3 in the trailers and screenshots, the final game doesn't have this quality.
All textures are standard when knowing something about other games.
The Witcher 2 looks much better at all, and some games from 2007 (NFS ProStreet) and 2006 (Gothic 3) have same or better textures.
And to hype the graphics in BF3 was the most failure of EA, because my expectations were great - and the game wasn't as they hyped.
The quality of Textures always was to a normal level, like all actual games look like, nothing was worth to hype!

Ad as I said, the quality of graphics isn't important to the goodness of games. But I can't hearing BF3 has excellent graphics, when it's a lie.
And some lighting effects / refractions are even in Amnesia better.
I'm an epic gamer and Penumbra & Amnesia are some of the epic games.
Quality of graphics always is important, but some good or old games really blended with their old / original style and don't need big graphics to be immersing.
02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

(02-12-2012, 01:39 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(02-12-2012, 01:17 AM)Lucke Wrote: Highlight of this thread = "Battlefield 3's graphics on ultra are standard"

This is why I self are an 2D artist and create photoreal textures.

So, my level of quality may is higher than other, casual gamers feelings.
As EA hyped the graphics on BF3 in the trailers and screenshots, the final game doesn't have this quality.
All textures are standard when knowing something about other games.
The Witcher 2 looks much better at all, and some games from 2007 (NFS ProStreet) and 2006 (Gothic 3) have same or better textures.
And to hype the graphics in BF3 was the most failure of EA, because my expectations were great - and the game wasn't as they hyped.
The quality of Textures always was to a normal level, like all actual games look like, nothing was worth to hype!

Ad as I said, the quality of graphics isn't important to the goodness of games. But I can't hearing BF3 has excellent graphics, when it's a lie.
And some lighting effects / refractions are even in Amnesia better.
I'm an epic gamer and Penumbra & Amnesia are some of the epic games.
Quality of graphics always is important, but some good or old games really blended with their old / original style and don't need big graphics to be immersing.
I really doubt you're textures are photorealistic.

Still I can't understand you whining about graphics, eventhough you love amnesia and penumbra. I guess you and I played different games, because the battlefield 3 I played had really sharp textures and the lighting is one of the best I have seen in gaming, at times it looked photorealistic. Amnesia has some good lighting for a game what doesnt require much of a PC to run but saying that it looks better than BF3 is just weird..

"my expectations were great" uhh...why ? Didn't you state that any game what is a shooter is the worst piece of shit ever made what doesn't even deserve to be called a game ?

And you have no idea what epic even means, amnesia and penumbra arent' heroic and in grand scale. When I hear the word "epic" in gaming, I think of stuff like this

not a terrified man crawling around a scary castle, hiding from monsters.
02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

My textures are photoreal.

This is smaller version of my 4.096p version.

[Image: p36qmpid.jpg]

You know, my textures are not generated by computer, I use real objects to create them.

This is what let games look like real surfaces and I use only ultra high resolutions to get a very high level of detail.

Battlefield 3 has standard textures, not worth to hype.

And Mass Efect 3 isn't an epic game, its surreal modern action, the totally opposite of epics.

This is epic:

Or later in that game:

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM by Googolplex.)
02-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

(02-12-2012, 03:55 PM)Googolplex Wrote: My textures are photoreal.

You know, my textures are not generated by computer, I use real objects to create them.

This is what let games look like real surfaces and I use only ultra high resolutions to get a very high level of detail.

And Mass Efect 3 isn't an epic game, its surreal modern action, the totally opposite of epics.

This is epic:

Or later in that game:

You can't use "only ultra high resolutions" in a game, that will cut down performance drastically, to the level of it not being playable! And as for Mass Effect 3 being "the totally opposite of epics[sic]", here's a dictionary definition of epic for you:

ep·ic
n.
1. An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
2. A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
3. A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.
adj.
1. Of, constituting, having to do with, or suggestive of a literary epic: an epic poem.
2. Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size: "A vast musical panorama . . . it requires an epic musical understanding to do it justice" (Tim Page).
3. Heroic and impressive in quality: "Here in the courtroom . . . there was more of that epic atmosphere, the extra amperage of a special moment" (Scott Turow).

I would say that most of these meanings could be applied to Mass Effect.

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM by Gasjockey.)
02-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

(02-12-2012, 05:29 PM)Gasjockey Wrote:
(02-12-2012, 03:55 PM)Googolplex Wrote: My textures are photoreal.

This is epic:

Or later in that game:

You can't use "only ultra high resolutions" in a game, that will cut down performance drastically, to the level of it not being playable! And as for Mass Effect 3 being "the totally opposite of epics[sic]", here's a dictionary definition of epic for you:

ep·ic
n.
1. An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
2. A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
3. A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.
adj.
1. Of, constituting, having to do with, or suggestive of a literary epic: an epic poem.
2. Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size: "A vast musical panorama . . . it requires an epic musical understanding to do it justice" (Tim Page).
3. Heroic and impressive in quality: "Here in the courtroom . . . there was more of that epic atmosphere, the extra amperage of a special moment" (Scott Turow).

I would say that most of these meanings could be applied to Mass Effect.
This, 4096 is just unneeded for a game. 2048x2048 is really the highest that a world texture should go to. And still, even if you're texture is 4096x4096 it's still going to look like crap without normal, specular, parallax maps etc.
02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Find