Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia will not launch from Steam?
IWork4Dessert Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia will not launch from Steam?

A few weeks ago, my MacBook Pro suffered from a total system failure. Every game on my Bootcamp side(Windows) was completely wiped out--including Skyrim and Civ V, fml. On my Mac side, I managed to recover all of my files. However, when I launch Steam, none of my games will work. I wouldn't be particularly worried about this except that I'd gotten to the torture room in Amnesia and that took a whole hell of a lot of 15 minute segments of terror to get to.
Sooooo because I'm stupid, I deleted all the local content in an attempt to fix my game. Which was tragic blah blah blah but I thought, hey, at least I'll be able to play. Wrong.

Every time I open Amnesia(from any location, in online or offline mode), there's a little window that says "Preparing to launch Amnesia: The Dark descent..." that appears for about 3 seconds. Then it disappears, it un-focuses my windows as though it were launching the game, and then goes right back to Steam. No error message, nothing. All game files are supposedly intact.

Please help me...
04-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia will not launch from Steam?

Perhaps completely re-install steam and amnesia could fix it, not sure but it sounds like something is broke due to deleting local content.
04-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Website Find
IWork4Dessert Offline

I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I deleted and recreated my shortcut and verified the integrity of the cache. No idea what's going wrong here =/
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Possible that there are files you have to manually remove to completely uninstall Steam, not just delete the app. For example in ~/Library/ you can possibly find Steam folders that stores settings and such.
04-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Website Find
IWork4Dessert Offline

Just checked and there's no trace of any Steam or Amnesia setting files at all... I don't know what's going on here, and Steam has never responded to the support ticket I sent out 4 days ago.

After uninstalling and reinstalling everything, I managed to get the game to go so far as having the launcher icon bouncing in the dock, but it never loaded... it's like the game is auto-cancelling the load up.

Thank you for your help btw, this problem has been really frustrating for a long time!
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 05:41 PM by IWork4Dessert.)
04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

Try deleting the ClientRegistry.blob from the /Steam/steamapps/ folder (not sure if it's different on Mac or not). That usually fixes these kinds of issues. If not, I'm at a loss.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Find
IWork4Dessert Offline

I have no idea how to nav to that on a Mac... the problem is, there are only a few files under my actual Steam file directory(such as cache, games, etc), barely anything, and it's really hard to find given the horrible library interface.

I'm starting to get really pissed here. None of my games are working. When I open Portal 2, the only options in the start menu are "No Steam" and "Quit". And since Steam has no technical support number, I'm stuck waiting for a reply to a ticket that I sent ages ago. This is ridiculous.

Perhaps the shared steam account is the issue?
04-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Find