Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to make guarddog brute
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
Trying to make guarddog brute

I'm currently brainstorming on a way to make a brute that will consistently guard a hallway and keep players from passing it. (coming into the room activates a ShowPlayerPosition script) But, I can't seem to find any reliable way to get it to work just how I want.

I can't just place a brute there and activate it when the player comes close, because it will disappear for good once the player moves away.

I can't use CreateEntityAtArea, because it will create a second brute in one place if you go through the area before the last one has disappeared. I've tried to check if "EntityExists" to limit the script but it apparently detects deactivated enemies too, so it won't create a new one even if the last one is gone.

I've tried activating the brute when you get close and deactivating it when you leave the room, to prevent it from turning itself off, but that presents two problems. 1) The brute can't chase you from the area without popping out of existence. 2) When it's reactivated by the area you pass through it shows up where it last deactivated instead of its original guard spot.

Anyone have anyone any ideas for this? There doesn't seem to be anything in the entity file to turn off how it deactivates itself.

04-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Trying to make guarddog brute

Fade the previous to smoke before creating the new one.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Website Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

I think you can have it patrol in a circle, resetting the patrol route every time it gets the the end (collides with an area towards the end of the route). If I remember correctly, this is how they got the suitor to patrol in Justine.

You can also change the deactivation distance in the model editor and save it as a new entity.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2012, 01:42 AM by Homicide13.)
04-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(04-11-2012, 01:40 AM)Homicide13 Wrote: If I remember correctly, this is how they got the suitor to patrol in Justine.

That's not how they did it in Justine. For the specific suitor they used, they didn't need to do that.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I'm not sure what you want done. Can you elaborate?
04-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Find
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118

Basically I wanted a brute to stand in front of a hallway and not disappear however far away the player gets. If it chases you out of the area, it goes back and stands in front of the hallway again.

I was able to rig something up that sort of works, by putting a brute there and disabling its triggers, then having it activate or deactivate depending on how close you are. Then if you step into its line of sight I freeze the player and ShowPlayerPosition so it runs up and kills you. Then using a checkpoint, I reset everything back the way it was.

Not the best solution, but it does manage to get the brute to be there every time you come down the hallway.

04-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Find