Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Model Texture Problem
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
Model Texture Problem

I have a question here everyone. Right now I'm trying to re-skin some of the cellar base models with new textures, so they can suit my need better with the Model Editor.

Right now, I just import the static object into the model editor, and change its material with the "Material" finder. It looks alright in the Model Editor, but when I put the newly created "static enitity" into the Level Editor, it looks like its old self before it was reskinned. Any idea how to fix this?
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Find
Mackiiboy Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Model Texture Problem

(04-14-2012, 05:01 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I have a question here everyone. Right now I'm trying to re-skin some of the cellar base models with new textures, so they can suit my need better with the Model Editor.

Right now, I just import the static object into the model editor, and change its material with the "Material" finder. It looks alright in the Model Editor, but when I put the newly created "static enitity" into the Level Editor, it looks like its old self before it was reskinned. Any idea how to fix this?
I'm afraid that you'll need to use a modelling-program like Maya, Blender or etc to change the materials for your static objects. I had exactly the same problem as you once, and solved it with Maya. Shy

04-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

You need to manually edit the .dae file to point to the new texture. You'll also need to change the name of the .dae file so that the game doesn't use the original instead.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(04-14-2012, 06:31 PM)Your Computer Wrote: You need to manually edit the .dae file to point to the new texture. You'll also need to change the name of the .dae file so that the game doesn't use the original instead.
This is easier if you don't have a modelling program or do not know how to use one.
Right click the .dae and open with Notepad or Notepad++ and press Ctrl+F and search:

<library_images>

In this category lies the directories to images that are followed by different meshes of the model. Change the directories, save as a new .dae (preferably in your new folders), redirect the images in the material file, save as the .mat for the new .dae and you should be good.
04-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

(04-15-2012, 04:30 AM)Statyk Wrote:
(04-14-2012, 06:31 PM)Your Computer Wrote: You need to manually edit the .dae file to point to the new texture. You'll also need to change the name of the .dae file so that the game doesn't use the original instead.
This is easier if you don't have a modelling program or do not know how to use one.
Right click the .dae and open with Notepad or Notepad++ and press Ctrl+F and search:

<library_images>

In this category lies the directories to images that are followed by different meshes of the model. Change the directories, save as a new .dae (preferably in your new folders), redirect the images in the material file, save as the .mat for the new .dae and you should be good.
Thanks a lot for sharing this. I've tried doing it this way so many times, but I couldn't ever find the image directories.
The thing is, my laptop is quite slow, so it actually works out quicker to edit the directory in notepad++ than to open Maya and edit it in there.

04-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-15-2012, 04:30 AM)Statyk Wrote: This is easier if you don't have a modelling program or do not know how to use one.

<library_images>

I've tried this, but it's not working out so well. Could you give me a example of what it might look like?
04-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Copy the folder of the model you are trying to retexture and paste it somewhere else, also change the name of the folder to what you want it to be called. Delete the .msh and rename the .dae, .mat, and the textures. For example:

default.dae
default.mat
default.dds
default_spec.dds
default_nrm.dds

could be:

redcellar.dae
redcellar.mat
redcellar.dds
redcellar_spec.dds
redcellar_nrm.dds

Then open the "redcellar.dae" in Notepad++ and press Ctrl+F. Search for "<library_images>" (no quotations) and you should see a directory in there leading to the image file(s). There are more directories depending on how many meshes exist on one model. For example, a Grunt has two meshes. The monster's body, and the monster's hair. Change the directories to lead to "redcellar.dds" instead, as well as any other images for different meshes. Save and overwrite the "redcellar.dae".

Then you need to redirect the material. Open it in the material editor and simply find the new textures according to what type of textures are already chosen in the material, such as diffuse, specular, and normals. Save and overwrite the "redcellar.mat".

Run the ModelViewer and load the "redcellar.dae" and it should now show the new texture.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM by Statyk.)
04-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Find