Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My LANG file stopped working....:/
7thProductions Offline

Threads: 17
Exclamation  My LANG file stopped working....:/

After making my second map, I started scripting for it and messed around with the lang file (using SetMessage), but when I lanched the game, the lang file just stopped working and I can't figure out why.

Lang file:

<LANGUAGE>

<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">test</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
<Entry Name="ItemName_storagekey">Storage Key</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_storagekey">Tag reads: "Key for the upstairs storage room."</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemName_stairwaykey">Stairway Key</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_stairwaykey">This key unlocks the door leading to the stairway outside my private chambers.</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemName_fathersstudykey">Nicolas Valentine's Study Key</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_fathersstudykey">My father's study is just up the stairs. I should go there right away.</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemName_fathersdagger">Dagger</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_fathersdagger">This dagger belongs to my father. It's one of his most prized possesions.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="DA01Map01">
<Entry Name="AdrianShock">Adrian:[br]What...what the hell was that..!?</Entry>
<Entry Name="AdrianHallucinationScare">Adrian:[br]It's coming for me! I'm going to die!</Entry>
<Entry Name="AdrianHorror">Adrian:[br]Tha..that thing....it killed my father and now it's after me..[br]What the hell am I going to do.......?</Entry>
<Entry Name="NeedDagger">Adrian:[br]Wait...I still need to grab my father's dagger. I can't go on without it.</Entry>
<Entry Name="Run">DOWN THE STAIRS!! QUICK!!!!!!!!</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="DA01Map02">
<Entry Name="StabMonster">Adrian:[br]Damn! That monster followed me into the courtyard.</Entry>
<Entry Name="StabMonsterII">Adrian:[br]Wait...I have my father's dagger; I could use it to kill the monster.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Messages">
<Entry Name="stairwaydoorlocked">The door is locked. That key has to be around here somewhere.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_adrianslog_Name">Semptember 6th, 1211</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_adrianslog_Text"></Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_urgentmessage_Name">Message From My Father</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_urgentmessage_Text">(the note is written in a messy scrawl)[br][br]Adrian. I don't have much time to write, that monstrousity has followed me here. But I need to warn you that your life is danger and you need to escape; they're coming for you. Don't ask, just listen. Take the key to my study and grab my dagger from the secret hatch in the floor.[br][br]Please, my son, be careful and keep that dagger close by to protect yourself. I love you, Adrian and I wish you the best of luck.[br][br]With much love,[br]Your father: Nicolas Val-[br][br](the note ends here)</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_fathersapology_Name">I'm So Sorry</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_fathersapology_Text"></Entry>
<Entry Name="Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Text>Wait until the monster has its back turned, then use the dagger to kill it!</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="courtyard">The Courtyard</Entry>
<Entry Name="kitchen">Kitchen</Entry>
<Entry Name="servantsquarters">Servant's Quarters</Entry>
<Entry Name="oldstorage">Old Storage</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

I don't see anything wrong here? Could it be a problem with the script, or something else?

04-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: My LANG file stopped working....:/

I've seen this put after "<LANGUAGE>":
<RESOURCES />
I don't know if it's required, because the line doesn't do anything.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Find
7thProductions Offline

(04-15-2012, 03:10 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I've seen this put after "<LANGUAGE>":
<RESOURCES />
I don't know if it's required, because the line doesn't do anything.
It didn't do anything, I even tried restoring it to a pervious version but that did nothing.
04-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Find
MrErkky Offline

Threads: 3

(04-15-2012, 02:55 PM)7thProductions Wrote: <Entry Name="Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Text>Wait until the monster has its back turned, then use the dagger to kill it!</Entry>

Hello, this line is missing an " after the "Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Text". You may also consider adding a "Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Name" so that the quest got a name in the Momento tab. (I'm not sure if it's necessary)

The rest off the script looks OK so it should be working after fixing this little error.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM by MrErkky.)
04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-15-2012, 04:41 PM)MrErkky Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 02:55 PM)7thProductions Wrote: <Entry Name="Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Text>Wait until the monster has its back turned, then use the dagger to kill it!</Entry>

Hello, this line is missing an " after the "Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Text". You may also consider adding a "Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Name" so that the quest got a name in the Momento tab. (I'm not sure if it's necessary)

The rest off the script looks OK so it should be working after fixing this little error.
I don't think that quest names work. While the notes and the diaries have titles, the mementos are just displayed directly.

04-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Find
MrErkky Offline

Threads: 3

(04-15-2012, 04:59 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 04:41 PM)MrErkky Wrote:
I don't think that quest names work. While the notes and the diaries have titles, the mementos are just displayed directly.
Yeah you're right, saw that now! However, did your script work now with the "?

04-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Find
7thProductions Offline

(04-15-2012, 05:13 PM)MrErkky Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 04:59 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I don't think that quest names work. While the notes and the diaries have titles, the mementos are just displayed directly.
Yeah you're right, saw that now! However, did your script work now with the "?

I hope you understand that the Memento isn't my biggest issue. I mean, I'm not fussing over the fact that the Memento isn't showing up, I'm fussing over the fact that NOTHING is showing up. The notes are completely blank, keys no longer have a name or description and no messages are showing up on the screen. And I don't understand why. :?

04-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

The notes are blank because you haven't written anything under the "Text" portion in your .lang. Some people have problems because of the notes. I ALWAYS put mine under redist>config>lang_main>english.lang then use your search tool and find the category called Journal. Add your note names and text under there. I never get any problems. Keep in mind that if ONE LITTLE THING is wrong in that .lang file, nothing will work.

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM by JenniferOrange.)
04-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Find
trollox Offline

Threads: 16

Then you messed one line up x) try searching for small mistakes.
04-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-15-2012, 06:19 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: The notes are blank because you haven't written anything under the "Text" portion in your .lang. Some people have problems because of the notes. I ALWAYS put mine under redist>config>lang_main>english.lang then use your search tool and find the category called Journal. Add your note names and text under there. I never get any problems. Keep in mind that if ONE LITTLE THING is wrong in that .lang file, nothing will work.
Of course, if Amnesia 1.3 comes out and updates english.lang, you'll lose everything you entered into there. That's why we should never ever edit english.lang. Create a file called extra_english.lang instead, and put it in the folder for your custom story.

Is it still not displaying anything, even after you followed the following advice?
Quote:Hello, this line is missing an " after the "Quest_StabMonsterQuest_Text".

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Find