Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Models in a story
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49
Custom Models in a story

Hey all-

To add custom models, does it have to be a full conversion, or can we just have an entities folder in our custom story folder that will automatically make the models show for other players?

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Custom Models in a story

A common misunderstanding here. You DO NOT need to make it a Full Conversion to have custom models. If it is a simple custom story, make a folder labelled "entities" in it and drop the custom models in there. The game will read the models through the files in the custom story folder.

THOUGH, to apply custom models through the level editor, you need to do one of two things:

1) make a folder in the root "entities" folder labelled whatever you want, drop the custom models in there and it will load through the entities tool in the level editor (this is simpler, but a little more confusing for disorganized people)
2) go into the root "resources.cfg" and add a directory leading to your custom story folder. Then in the level editor, place any entity down, click the "Mesh '...' " button on the bottom right and find the entity through your custom story folder. (this is more time-consuming to do, but space-saving)

04-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(04-16-2012, 01:06 AM)Statyk Wrote: 2) go into the root "resources.cfg" and add a directory leading to your custom story folder. Then in the level editor, place any entity down, click the "Mesh '...' " button on the bottom right and find the entity through your custom story folder. (this is more time-consuming to do, but space-saving)

I would always recommend this method over any other, just make sure the folder is at the end of the list in the resources.cfg file.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2012, 01:14 AM by Your Computer.)
04-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Website Find
JetlinerX Offline

Awesome. The two most helpful people on the forum come to my rescue within 10 mins. Thanks so much guys!

~Slade

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(04-16-2012, 01:13 AM)Your Computer Wrote: I would always recommend this method over any other, just make sure the folder is at the end of the list in the resources.cfg file.
See, I like the first one better =]

I'm curious, Why do you prefer the second option?
04-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Yeah, I agree, I am more a fan of option one so far.

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(04-16-2012, 01:31 AM)Statyk Wrote: See, I like the first one better =]

Potentially, it would help avoid conflict between any of Amnesia's files and between multiple copies of the custom files (whether for your story or someone else's). For distribution and organization, it would ease and speed up the process of archiving the story. Plus, if they're going to be moved or copied to the story's folder anyway, why have them anywhere else simply to avoid a few more clicks in the level editor?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Website Find
LulleBulle Offline

Threads: 33

(04-16-2012, 01:53 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 01:31 AM)Statyk Wrote: See, I like the first one better =]

Potentially, it would help avoid conflict between any of Amnesia's files and between multiple copies of the custom files (whether for your story or someone else's). For distribution and organization, it would ease and speed up the process of archiving the story. Plus, if they're going to be moved or copied to the story's folder anyway, why have them anywhere else simply to avoid a few more clicks in the level editor?
Is the resource.cfg Amnesias or your own CS's?
04-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Find