Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some help.
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: I need some help.

Nar I'm good for work atm. I always find it easier to deconstruct a working example then take everything from the ground up, so I gotta think, maybe some other people do to. It's only a little thing...
05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Find
Sanshi Offline

Threads: 5

(05-09-2012, 07:14 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 07:07 PM)Adrianis Wrote: No need to get Cranky, Old Man. I'd script it for him Smile
Yes, you'd script it for him now, and then he'll come back tomorrow, wanting the next thing done in another post. If you want to script for him, consider teaming up with him, as a scripter for his mod.
It's unbelievable how some people thinks everyone who picks up Amnesia, is suddently Perfect at scripting... I am learning... I ask for help, since asking the community (usually the nice people in it) is better than following a heap of guides and search for functions I don't know names on. I'm noob at this, deal with it.
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(05-09-2012, 07:28 PM)Sanshi Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 07:14 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 07:07 PM)Adrianis Wrote: No need to get Cranky, Old Man. I'd script it for him Smile
Yes, you'd script it for him now, and then he'll come back tomorrow, wanting the next thing done in another post. If you want to script for him, consider teaming up with him, as a scripter for his mod.
It's unbelievable how some people thinks everyone who picks up Amnesia, is suddently Perfect at scripting... I am learning... I ask for help, since asking the community (usually the nice people in it) is better than following a heap of guides and search for functions I don't know names on. I'm noob at this, deal with it.
I'm not saying this because you're a noob, but because I suspect that you didn't try to understand the script you were given. If you simply feel overwhelmed, and want a place to start learning, check out this video tutorial series:
From noob to Pro

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I agree with Sanshi here. Cranky, I think you jumped to a conclusion (Even if it was a "semi-conclusion") too quickly. He made no indication that he just copy pasted the script, and he said he figured it out, which means he was actively working around with the script to some extent.

Though I agree with the underlying meaning in your post, you should convoy it to him in a better way than something that looks highly suspiciously like accusation. Like say:
Quote:I'll give you a pointer here. While we will post you various solutions, complete or not, to your problems, I'd advise that you don't "simply" copy-paste them into your script. If you do that you'll likely run into problems, and won't actually learn anything. What you should do is try to understand the logic in a script before you use it. After that, you'll understand the overall scripting system better, and be on the path to improvement.
This would sound MUCH easier on the ears while being just as helpful.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Cranky D:
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM by Kreekakon.)
05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

How about when you post script, you post a comment after every line so they can understand what's going on. That way, they can understand the code a bit better.

Also, engine scripts page on the wiki is super helpful for understanding functions!

05-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Find
darkadders Offline

Threads: 1

well, you could add a script area around this golden statue of yours, and then script it so that when the entity leaves that scriptarea, something will happen

further details can be provided if needed, but i encourage you to experiment with this

*insert creative signature here*
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM by darkadders.)
05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Find