Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Female voice acting, anyone?
adriann Offline

Threads: 1
Female voice acting, anyone?

Hey, hey! I'm new to the forums, yes. But I've been watching lots of Let's Play/ "x-person" plays "x-game" kind of videos, and since I follow people who play lots of Amnesia custom stories, I watch a lot of those. : )

I'm a soon-to-be theater major in college (I begin this fall) and, well, I suppose it would possibly be a good thing to do this kind of thing on the side? I am an amateur, yes, but I promise I'm capable of learning. :>

Here are some samples, quickly done so I could post something up.
Desdemona (desperate, pleading, young adult)
Emilia (matter-of-fact, servant)
Dr. Irina Spalko (evil, mind-control, Russian lady!)
The White Witch and Edmund (evil, cunning woman, and an innocent child)

They're general. Hopefully, this is okay enough for now!

I am also speaking in an accent in each of those samples. I can do a better Hispanic/ Spanish accent and different American accents (Southern, New York? etc.).
I speak Spanish fluently and can pronounce German correctly.

Well, enough with this resume! I do hope to grow with this and possibly improve?
Have at me. Please critique, too, if any tips and pointers are to be had! : D
05-18-2012, 03:13 AM
Find
Leeeyam Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Female voice acting, anyone?

These are really good, you're very clear and you nailed the accents, I am certain people will ask you to voice cover their projects

05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Too much twang for my taste actually (except for the Narnia queen which was a bit smoother); I think your consonants need some real work, they are quite oppressive usually. I also don't think you quite have the foundation nailed for most of these voices. I recommend breathing with your diaphragm if you don't already and really put some power into it, usually the voices sound quite weak as if your voice is about to crack. Also I dunno how much prep time you had but sometimes it sounds like you are going in a different direction than intended and almost stumble; the accents and emphases are sometimes off. But overall not bad and you certainly can learn if you want to. Not to offend but I think you have a sexy voice though a bit abrasive at times (a better foundation will solve that I'd wager). Good luck!
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 04:48 PM by Bridge.)
05-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I like the variety. As well as seeing a new female voice actor on the forums =]

My only advice is to try to relax your voice, let it come out naturally. you seem to be reading or saying your lyrics word by word. Perhaps practice them over and over until you remember them in your head and they can flow out through your breath, not each word per breath, you know?

You're very clear, I would just like to see you smooth out your speech flow, much like the last link. (Not the TONE, again, the smoothness of your speech)
05-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

Welcome to the voice acting club C:

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
05-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

I am enjoying the newer female voice actors that have joined the FG forum within these past few months, its good to see some new talent and not the same 1-2 people for female roles. (no offense Miss Rigi, we all still love you)

I rate it 3 memes.
05-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Find
adriann Offline

Threads: 1

Thank you very much, Leeeyam, for the complement, and thank you, Miss
Rigi, for welcoming me! : D I've heard you before, Rigi, you're pretty
awesome!

(05-18-2012, 04:47 PM)Bridge Wrote: Too much twang for my taste actually (except for the Narnia queen which was a bit smoother); I think your consonants need some real work, they are quite oppressive usually. I also don't think you quite have the foundation nailed for most of these voices. I recommend breathing with your diaphragm if you don't already and really put some power into it, usually the voices sound quite weak as if your voice is about to crack. Also I dunno how much prep time you had but sometimes it sounds like you are going in a different direction than intended and almost stumble; the accents and emphases are sometimes off. But overall not bad and you certainly can learn if you want to. Not to offend but I think you have a sexy voice though a bit abrasive at times (a better foundation will solve that I'd wager). Good luck!
Thank you so much for the critique, Bridge! Thank you for bringing all that to my attention- I was a bit aware of my strong consonants, it happens when I do anything that has to do with speech, like acting/ singing/ reciting things, etc. I'm really conscious of having listeners understand my words, so I guess I've got to tone it down, huh? It definitely gives me something to work on. Thanks!
Oh, no, in all honesty, each one of these was practically read on the spot because I really wanted to have something to show; I tactlessly made this account on a really hectic week/month. :/// Impatience took control over me! I plan on possibly re-reciting these with more time/practice. Mmm, but thank you, again, thank you so much!

(05-18-2012, 11:07 PM)Statyk Wrote: I like the variety. As well as seeing a new female voice actor on the forums =]

My only advice is to try to relax your voice, let it come out naturally. you seem to be reading or saying your lyrics word by word. Perhaps practice them over and over until you remember them in your head and they can flow out through your breath, not each word per breath, you know?

You're very clear, I would just like to see you smooth out your speech flow, much like the last link. (Not the TONE, again, the smoothness of your speech)
: D Ah, thank you, Statyk. As aforementioned, I did try to recite these with very little preparation. I will definitely work on that, however, as it does tend to happen. Thank you!

--
It just occurred to me; if I can be linked to better practice monologues? I used these because I know the characters well, but if there are some that I can use for something like an assignment, perhaps, if it's not too much to ask for? In any case, the critiques were great and I'm ever grateful for them! Everything went way better than I expected, ahh. :>

Ooop, posted before seeing andyrockin's post. Thanks for the warm welcome! And yes, I did note the shortage in female voices-- it's the reason I'm trying this out! : D

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 12:29 AM by adriann.)
05-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

(05-19-2012, 12:27 AM)adriann Wrote: Thank you very much, Leeeyam, for the complement, and thank you, Miss
Rigi, for welcoming me! : D I've heard you before, Rigi, you're pretty
awesome!

It just occurred to me; if I can be linked to better practice monologues? I used these because I know the characters well, but if there are some that I can use for something like an assignment, perhaps, if it's not too much to ask for? In any case, the critiques were great and I'm ever grateful for them! Everything went way better than I expected, ahh. :>
I hadn't gotten the chance to listen to the recordings before, but I have. Your history with acting is evident and you have much of the basic skill down. Although, as said before, your execution still needs more practice. Things like forming syllables or knowing what to portray on your voice, though not easy to learn, are good essentials.

If you ever need something to practice with there are things I have stored away that I can send you. Also, if you want any tips or advice or anything just let me know.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
05-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Find
KeenPeachK Offline

W00T. MORE GIRLS! -does a dance-

05-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Website Find
Quotentote Offline

Threads: 23

one day....the girls will rule this forum......we're just waiting for the right time.... *hehehe*
x3

Cruel ways 2: Something went wrong

05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Find