Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Help needed in translation!
Allen Walker Offline

Threads: 1
Question  Help needed in translation!

Hi,

I'm trying to translate the game and its DLC "Justine" to hungarian, but there's one word I cannot manage to translate. Or find it at all.
This word is in the launcher, it's more specifically the button which you can launch the Justine DLC with. I can't seem to find its string anywhere. I know it's a name and it shouldn't be translated and stuff, but we have the name in hungarian as Jolanda. I guess. Can anybody help me? I'd be much appreciated. (Sorry if my grammar sux here and there. Angel)

Thanks in advance!
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2012, 07:20 PM by Allen Walker.)
05-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Help needed in translation!

Why would you want to translate the game?
11-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

The buttons in the launcher are edited by the Launcher.exe. You can't change the name "Justine", nor should you. It's the TITLE of the game. Isn't it still Amnesia: The Dark Descent in Hungarian? Thanks for the translation though =]
11-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

^

As already said, you can't change that name, because (I guess) it's implemented in the quellcode of the launcher, and once compiled you can't really change it.
Only possibility would be to code a completely new launcher, but this would take some time, and I guess you won't want to rewrite the launcher. Besides the coding, the other problem would be, that ...nah, whatever, it's too much work for changing ONE name.

have a nice day, sir.

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
11-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Find
Allen Walker Offline

Threads: 1

Tigerwaw:
What question is this?! If you don't know really, google it up. Big Grin

Anyway, the first localization of the game is gruesomely terrible (whoever done it, the game's story nearly indistinctive with their translation), and I just want to re-translate it.

Statyk:
I know it's the TITLE of the DLC and I mentioned it in the starting post. And yes, it's Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I'm thinking of translating it as well... Tongue If I cannot translate the buttons of the launcher then how can it be that 2 of them could be translated and only the one that launches Justine is not? (See pic below)

[Image: vgAkWs.png]
Click the pic to enlarge!

johnbox:
If what you are saying is true, then I leave it as it is.
You have a nice day as well, kind sir.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM by Allen Walker.)
11-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

Well... that's weird, since this is destroying my theories, I can't help anymore. Maybe the FG-Developer can help you with that.

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
11-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

My assumption is that the Launcher was made and to change the language of "Launch" and "Cancel", they needed to translate it for all languages, so they made it read the .lang files. Justine, having come much later, as well as being the title of an expansion and a person's name, it was not necessary to update the .exe and the .lang files as well. My guess is the word "Justine" lies within the launcher code itself. It is not listed in any .lang files.

Probably made that way to save time, more organization, and to prevent from possible bugs.
11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(11-04-2012, 11:41 PM)Statyk Wrote: Isn't it still Amnesia: The Dark Descent in Hungarian? Thanks for the translation though =]
Penumbra: Overture is called in germany as Penumbra: Im Halbschatten.

"Im Halbschatten" means the same as the english word "Penumbra". They didn't translate Overture to german, they translated the main title of the game.
Normally it must called "Penumbra: Die Vorgeschichte". That's weird.
But I think, it's not always good to translate 1:1.
11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Yeah I think names and titles should rarely be translated. In most cases it destroys the atmosphere... sometimes it might be necessary - I assume most gamers would have been a bit confused by a game called "Wiedźmin" with a main protagonist called "Geralt z Rivii".
So I think there was more benefit than damage done by changing that to "The Witcher" and "Geralt of Rivia". Its also okay because its a fantasy world that doesn't take place in a specific real country.

On the other hand, I found it pretty stupid that they translated the names of some characters in Metro 2033. The game takes place in Moscow - why is there a dude named "Miller" running around? Especially since they didn't do it for all names, only those that could be translated.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 12:19 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Find