Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
extra_english.lang file not working
willochill Offline

Threads: 27
extra_english.lang file not working

For some reason my extra_english.lang isnt affecting my custom story at all. this is my first time testing my unfinished story, and i put the extra_english.lang file into my custom story folder but nothing changed in the custom story. i copied/pasted the text from the file below, can anyone see if im doing something wrong? thx.
(i do have it in plain text btw on the file, this is just the font on the forum)

<LANGUAGE>

<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
<Entry Name="ItemName_FirstKey">Room Key</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_FirstKey">The key to my room.</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemName_key_tomb_1">Cellar Entrance Key</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_key_tomb_1">The key to the entrance of the cellar complex.</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_Escape_Name">Dear Dr. Åkerstedt</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Escape_Text">Dear Dr. Åkerstedt, [br] I wish I could wake you up, but you are asleep, and the door is locked from the inside. I don't have much time, so I must say this fast. You need to get out of the castle as fast as you can. The experiment has gone horribly wrong. Already three of our scientists are infected, and I fear that I will be next. [br] Unfortunately many of the doors in the castle are locked, and only my doorman, Mr. McDouglass, is in possession of the keys. However, if I remember, there is a way out through the upper level, where the master bedrooms and dining hall are, and the door to that area should be unlocked. [br] Leave, and never come back. If you escape, tell the world of our fate. Best of luck, brother.[br] -Dr. MacDhui</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>
05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: extra_english.lang file not working

The info above looks fine. My only ideas gathered from the given info above are:

- You have the name of the .lang wrong (i.e. extr_english.lang) or some other variation
- The .lang is in the wrong folder. make sure it is in your "custom_story_name" folder, not in a maps, entities, etc folder.

Another idea.
- Try taking out the "Å" (I have an American keyboard. I don't know how to get it) and try it again. It not being an English letter may be confusing it... Probably not the issue, but these are just suggestions.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 01:16 AM by Statyk.)
05-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Find
SUMMER^ Offline

Threads: 6

(05-30-2012, 12:56 AM)willochill Wrote: For some reason my extra_english.lang isnt affecting my custom story at all. this is my first time testing my unfinished story, and i put the extra_english.lang file into my custom story folder but nothing changed in the custom story. i copied/pasted the text from the file below, can anyone see if im doing something wrong? thx.
(i do have it in plain text btw on the file, this is just the font on the forum)
I also heard someone say that just opening the file and then saving it again would cause it to work for some reason. Just another idea in case Statyk's don't fix it, though I personally agree in thinking it might be that "Å" character.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 05:45 AM by SUMMER^.)
05-30-2012, 05:42 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(05-30-2012, 05:42 AM)SUMMER^ Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 12:56 AM)willochill Wrote: For some reason my extra_english.lang isnt affecting my custom story at all. this is my first time testing my unfinished story, and i put the extra_english.lang file into my custom story folder but nothing changed in the custom story. i copied/pasted the text from the file below, can anyone see if im doing something wrong? thx.
I also heard someone say that just opening the file and then saving it again would cause it to work for some reason. Just another idea in case Statyk's don't fix it, though I personally agree in thinking it might be that "Å" character.
Å works fine. The engine can take a lot of characters (not counting "the forbidden five").

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If you want to use special characters, make sure the file uses UTF-8 encoding. Also, if you're using a profile with developer mode enabled, try using a new profile.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-30-2012, 11:52 AM)Your Computer Wrote: If you want to use special characters, make sure the file uses UTF-8 encoding.
Don't you mean "doesn't", or simply UTF? ...because UTF-8 doesn't contain many special characters. (However, Geany has a bug that makes it stick to UTF-8 even when other special characters are used, and only complain upon file loading. Removing the UTF-8 format default, will solve this bug, but it won't affect the Amnesia engine.)

Disregard. I had no idea what I was talking about.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012, 04:21 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(05-30-2012, 02:56 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Don't you mean "doesn't", or simply UTF? ...because UTF-8 doesn't contain many special characters. (However, Geany has a bug that makes it stick to UTF-8 even when other special characters are used, and only complain upon file loading. Removing the UTF-8 format default, will solve this bug, but it won't affect the Amnesia engine.)

05-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

UTF-8 doesn't contain Å. What you're actually showing there is a bug in Geany that lets you write Å in the editor at all. The Amnesia interpreter will then interpret your script as UTF-16.

Disregard. I had no idea what I was talking about.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012, 04:22 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(05-30-2012, 04:17 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: UTF-8 doesn't contain Å. What you're actually showing there is a bug in Geany that lets you write Å in the editor at all. The Amnesia interpreter will then interpret your script as UTF-16.

As far as i know, Å is part of Latin-1, and UTF-8 supports Latin-1. AngelScript will default to UTF-8 unless otherwise specified to do so. Since i don't have access to the Amnesia source code, i can only assume Amnesia will run my script through UTF-8. I would be interested in your source that proves the game is told to use UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 so that i can feel confident in stating that Amnesia interprets my scripts as UTF-16 if in fact true.

As for Geany allowing you to type these characters in regardless of the current encoding of the file, Scintilla and GTK both support UTF-8 for their UI and GTK defaults to UTF-8. I do not know if the UI disregarding the encoding of the current file is considered a bug by the developers of Geany, but i would expect it to be a lot easier to handle it outside the UI. I've dealt with GTK before, and it is not something i wish to dabble in ever again.

Of course, i should mention that just because it doesn't show up in game doesn't necessarily mean the character is not supported by the game, especially if we're dealing with FNT files.

05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-30-2012, 05:03 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 04:17 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: UTF-8 doesn't contain Å. What you're actually showing there is a bug in Geany that lets you write Å in the editor at all. The Amnesia interpreter will then interpret your script as UTF-16.

As far as i know, Å is part of Latin-1, and UTF-8 supports Latin-1. AngelScript will default to UTF-8 unless otherwise specified to do so. Since i don't have access to the Amnesia source code, i can only assume Amnesia will run my script through UTF-8. I would be interested in your source that proves the game is told to use UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 so that i can feel confident in stating that Amnesia interprets my scripts as UTF-16 if in fact true.

As for Geany allowing you to type these characters in regardless of the current encoding of the file, Scintilla and GTK both support UTF-8 for their UI and GTK defaults to UTF-8. I do not know if the UI disregarding the encoding of the current file is considered a bug by the developers of Geany, but i would expect it to be a lot easier to handle it outside the UI. I've dealt with GTK before, and it is not something i wish to dabble in ever again.

Of course, i should mention that just because it doesn't show up in game doesn't necessarily mean the character is not supported by the game, especially if we're dealing with FNT files.
Reading the wiki, I find that I don't know anything. I thought UTF-8 meant that it used 8 bits to store characters (and that the list there listed every char individually, not entire charts). Now I read that UTF-8 can use up to four bytes. I have no idea what UTF-16 is now. I'm very, very confused.

05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Find