Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Voice actor needed.(adult male)
Juke Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Voice actor needed.(adult male)

(06-01-2012, 04:59 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 04:32 PM)Juke Wrote: None taken, although I'm not sure what you mean. It must be something native speakers pick up on easily.

And I admit I erred too much for the irritated side.

About the equipment I don't really see it as a problem. I mean sure it's not made specifically for voice acting but at least there's no static in the background.
1. Well it's just that your pronunciation is really severe most of the time. In the words "may" and "nerves" especially you put a lot of awkward stress on the -ay and -er sounds, when they should be very soft and flow naturally. It's like when somebody who isn't British mocks posh British accents; usually the same kind of awkward flow and heavy emphases that aren't present when somebody speaks like that naturally. Basically what I mean is it's the kind of voice someone may choose when satirizing, in the right context it can be hilarious. But in a story with a serious tone like this it just isn't appropriate. I know it's not intentional but it is very noticeable.

3. There actually is static. It's not that bad, but it sticks out to the perceptive listener. On second thought maybe the equipment actually isn't the problem, but I think you should adjust the equalizer settings because right now it sounds rather flat.
That's really interesting. Thanks for telling me! As one who studies English I'll be sure to keep all this in mind.

I did some testing and you're right there is static that I hadn't noticed. Not sure how to go about adjusting things but at least Audacity offers a simple enough solution to get rid of it. Again thanks for the feedback.
06-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(06-01-2012, 05:48 PM)Juke Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 04:32 PM)Juke Wrote: None taken, although I'm not sure what you mean. It must be something native speakers pick up on easily.

About the equipment I don't really see it as a problem. I mean sure it's not made specifically for voice acting but at least there's no static in the background.
1. Well it's just that your pronunciation is really severe most of the time. In the words "may" and "nerves" especially you put a lot of awkward stress on the -ay and -er sounds, when they should be very soft and flow naturally. It's like when somebody who isn't British mocks posh British accents; usually the same kind of awkward flow and heavy emphases that aren't present when somebody speaks like that naturally. Basically what I mean is it's the kind of voice someone may choose when satirizing, in the right context it can be hilarious. But in a story with a serious tone like this it just isn't appropriate. I know it's not intentional but it is very noticeable.

3. There actually is static. It's not that bad, but it sticks out to the perceptive listener. On second thought maybe the equipment actually isn't the problem, but I think you should adjust the equalizer settings because right now it sounds rather flat.
That's really interesting. Thanks for telling me! As one who studies English I'll be sure to keep all this in mind.

I did some testing and you're right there is static that I hadn't noticed. Not sure how to go about adjusting things but at least Audacity offers a simple enough solution to get rid of it. Again thanks for the feedback.
I'd suggest you try out Adobe Soundbooth, it's what I use for editing and it has some really nice tools for noise reduction.
06-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-01-2012, 05:48 PM)Juke Wrote:

Take anything I say with a grain of salt as I'm not a linguist and I don't speak English natively (though English is technically my first language; I lived in the US as a child and so I learned English and Icelandic simultaneously, and have been speaking it on the internet since like 2004 and take a great interest in it [really is one of the most beautiful languages out there]). This is all my opinion on top of that so somebody else may find your performance simply breathtaking. I think my advice is good though. Where are you from by the way?
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM by Bridge.)
06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Find
Juke Offline

Threads: 2

(06-01-2012, 06:37 PM)Bridge Wrote: Take anything I say with a grain of salt as I'm not a linguist and I don't speak English natively (though English is technically my first language; I lived in the US as a child and so I learned English and Icelandic simultaneously, and have been speaking it on the internet since like 2004 and take a great interest in it [really is one of the most beautiful languages out there]). This is all my opinion on top of that so somebody else may find your performance simply breathtaking. I think my advice is good though. Where are you from by the way?
Oh I doubt if anyone thought it breathtaking at any point.

However, I'm not one to lose my sleep over a bit of criticism. It's good and I've noticed a lot of people I know who are good at English tend to over pronounce every word and try to sound perfect all the time rather than just letting the language flow naturally. I try to keep things relaxed but when you're recording lines you also have to make the words distinguishable. Therein lies the problem.

I'm Finnish and I've never lived abroad.
06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-01-2012, 07:57 PM)Juke Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 06:37 PM)Bridge Wrote: Take anything I say with a grain of salt as I'm not a linguist and I don't speak English natively (though English is technically my first language; I lived in the US as a child and so I learned English and Icelandic simultaneously, and have been speaking it on the internet since like 2004 and take a great interest in it [really is one of the most beautiful languages out there]). This is all my opinion on top of that so somebody else may find your performance simply breathtaking. I think my advice is good though. Where are you from by the way?
Oh I doubt if anyone thought it breathtaking at any point.

However, I'm not one to lose my sleep over a bit of criticism. It's good and I've noticed a lot of people I know who are good at English tend to over pronounce every word and try to sound perfect all the time rather than just letting the language flow naturally. I try to keep things relaxed but when you're recording lines you also have to make the words distinguishable. Therein lies the problem.

I'm Finnish and I've never lived abroad.
I share your pain as I speak English with a subtle Icelandic accent (apart from not having an actual regional accent and just a general one) which can be quite annoying but I think it's just a matter of technique. To play an instrument correctly for example you need to do things you are uncomfortable with and the only way to make it sound natural is practice. I'm not a voice actor and I probably suck more than you do but I know sound cause I spend a great deal of time listening to music and listening to people talk and in my opinion some of your line delivery just sounds really outlandish.

One tip I have is relax your throat. Just from listening to it I can hear you tighten your throat and the corners of your mouth when you say "may" when in fact if you want it to sound natural you should let it basically get out uninhibited with an open throat and relaxed facial muscles. Also in words like "nerves" (which really stands out) you really "spit" the word out like you're in a hurry. It's subtle, but I hear a very short glottal stop before the "-erve" sound. If you were to slow it down it would probably sound like *nuh*-rvz which is really unpleasant. Rather voice it in one continuous sound with a steady flow of air like: "nehrvz".

If you apply these two simple concepts to similar words I think you will start to notice a difference. Most important of all listen to other people speak, and listen beyond the words themselves. Really dig into what they are doing with their voices.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2012, 08:24 PM by Bridge.)
06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I'm swedish, jus'at. Never lived abroad. *sunglasses* AW yeah.
06-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Find
Bunnypoppop Offline

Threads: 1

You're Swedish! Holy cow awesome English accent haha

"War doesn't determine who is right - only who is left"

Voice Actor
06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Find
kartanonperuna Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 44

Damn.God is not with me on this.It was raining hard outside so you can hear that in the background.I will give you the files anyway,because I can revoice it later with no rain sounds in the background.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nn6esl2z21z9hkf

Voice actor

Painful shadows

06-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Website Find
pontusry Offline

Threads: 10

I will go through all of the files you guys sent/will send me, thank you so much.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough.
06-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Find
kartanonperuna Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 44

Heres the final voices from me,now without the rain in the background:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3n7kbb3jzkcnne0

Voice actor

Painful shadows

06-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Website Find