Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Prometheus
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Prometheus

Personally, I liked the movie.

There were a few things that sort of bothered me, like that stupid scientist trying to touch the obviously dangerous and hostile vagina tentacle monster, but while I am a story snob i think they could do much worse (looking at you Resurrection).

I predict awards heading the visuals and Fassbender's way Smile

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
06-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(06-25-2012, 07:05 PM)LHudson Wrote: Personally, I liked the movie.

There were a few things that sort of bothered me, like that stupid scientist trying to touch the obviously dangerous and hostile vagina tentacle monster, but while I am a story snob i think they could do much worse (looking at you Resurrection).

I predict awards heading the visuals and Fassbender's way Smile
the thing is visuals don't make movies. visuals improve movie. but it should not be the main focus of all fucking movies made today. the sooner viewers understand this the sooner we will get actually good movies for a change.
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(12-04-2012, 03:17 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 07:42 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 04:46 AM)crisosphinx Wrote: I knew nearly all the answers to that without having to go browse forums or anything. Are people so dumb that they think Promethus was bad? D:
Prometheus was a disaster. These guys only answer their own questions (and doesn't do it properly either): "Q: Why do they go into space? A: Because they found a map. Q: Why do they have space ships? A: To go into space. See how it all makes sense?" This reeks of people getting paid money to promote a movie.

What's worse is that in the same series, we have a movie where the dialogue is perfect: Aliens. The contrast between these movies really hurts. In Aliens, the dialogue links all the events and motivations together, so that nothing is misunderstood. This is basic storytelling technique.
True. However, I understand where they were coming from (I have a degree in film and animation). He didn't tell the story badly (there weren't any plot holes) and it was a prequel to the series so the questions about WHY and HOW the aliens came to be was answered. That's just how it is.

Silent Hill tried to do that with Origins and it was a flop. I'm not saying it was terrible, but Konami America doesn't make things scary anymore. The point of the Prometheus movie was to portray that the Aliens had to have evolved somewhere. They wanted to explain the Engineer from the first movie (thank you HR Giger for making amazing concept art) and they wanted to expand upon the universe.

You don't hear me complaining about Marvel movies. I think they stink with the rancid fumes of... well you get the point. I think the actors are... some of them are good. I think others are horrible for the parts and the entire series is a yawn to me. I still enjoy it, but I think the story telling is horrid.

"These guys only answer their own questions (and doesn't do it properly either)" I think you meant to type "and don't do it properly, either)."

They answered my questions about where the aliens came from. AVP and AVPR was redundant and didn't come from the same series creators. So please disregard those movies.

Yes, you have a degree in film, but you might need a degree in science to understand the lack of it, and see the plot holes in this movie. I don't understand how nobody involved with this movie had even a basic understanding of scientific concepts. The YouTube explainers were equally clueless. All the characters in the movie are behaving like rednecks. You could send rednecks into space, and get the same result. In fact, that would make a much better movie.

"They answered my questions about where the aliens came from."

I'm sure they answered SOME questions for SOME people, but not any questions that explained the actual plot holes.

"AVP and AVPR was redundant and didn't come from the same series creators. So please disregard those movies."

Why?
It doesn't make Prometheus any better, but why should I disregard a whole movie series? This is the kind of thing that people who sell the rights to a franchise, should consider. It's like fucking: Be faithful to one storyline. Don't waste peoples money to serve people crossovers that never happened.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

12-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Cranky, this thread is 6 months old. Why do you wake it up?

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(12-04-2012, 04:10 PM)The chaser Wrote: Cranky, this thread is 6 months old. Why do you wake it up?

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
and with strange aeons even death may die."
- Barack Obama

12-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(12-04-2012, 04:20 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 04:10 PM)The chaser Wrote: Cranky, this thread is 6 months old. Why do you wake it up?

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
and with strange aeons even death may die."
- Barack Obama
Death never dies. I'm death. I have been in this world ALL the time. You are in my world. Wake up from your sweet dream, Cranky. Dolan never dies.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Because there would be no point of making another Prometheus thread.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
12-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(12-04-2012, 03:46 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Yes, you have a degree in film, but you might need a degree in science to understand the lack of it, and see the plot holes in this movie. I don't understand how nobody involved with this movie had even a basic understanding of scientific concepts.
If every movie was scientifically correct, we would have a lot of boring films. Explain Avatar to me... Scientifically, it had a lot of plausible aspects, but the entirety of the film begs scientific fact. There's a reason why Prometheus is in the category of Science Fiction and not Science Non-Fiction (Documentary). The "plot-holes" you talk about are, via film and story telling, not plot holes.

The characters, I never said they were good actors. They were decent at best, but they made for memorable characters. The relativity of the philosophy in the movie was golden, otherwise, people wouldn't have debated on it. You can't doubt that. Do I agree with the philosophy, not really.

AVP and AVPR were redundant due to the fact that they weren't made by the same general people, thus they didn't follow the story-line of that specific Universe. It'd be like if Pandemic made a game about Batman (yes, I know Warner Brothers made the game series), and put Batman in San Francisco as a person with a mental disability and guns. It doesn't follow the same plot, it doesn't reveal the official back-story, it's completely off the wall, it's NOT part of the series; however, it might be fun to play, even if it's controversial. That's why it's redundant, the story is not applicable and irrelevant.

Whether or not we agree that the science was bad in the movie and that the actors did a good job of their parts, but had shitty characters, is beside the point. The story, itself, and the entirety of it's videography/filmography was a success. They had stunning visuals, they provided a unique story (I'm referring to Avatar, which was just Pocahontas), the characters were unique and are stuck in your head no matter how much you want to get their idiotic personalities out, the way it was filmed was very intellectually done so, as well. It's not Trolls 2, it's not Avatar, it's not (THANK GOD) Avatar the Last Airbender the movie. YES, it's actually part of the Alien series; YES, it's acting was not good at times (every movie has that); YES, the science was not correct (IT'S BLOODY SCIENCE FICTION, you could complain about every other movie/game/ book that uses shitty science, but you are complaining about a movie that has fricken ALIENS in it. ALIENS ARE NOT REAL ANYWAYS).

The movie was good in it's own way, it was not a piece of shit, it was innovative in a lot of ways, and, yes, it's not the best movie ever. But so many people worked hard on it, they deserved what they were paid. It also produced jobs for people. If you think I'm wrong about any of this, talk to my degree and then look at yours (if you have one).

[EDIT]: Sorry, I don't mean to sound angry, it's just rolling off that way right now cause I'm starving and my lunch break is consisting of me replying to you.

Also, I'm a huge HG Giger fan if you can't tell. I'm obsessed with the Alien series as I am with James Bond. Resurrection was the worst movie of the bunch due to... well.. that ending. They didn't use HR Gigers art/ concepts/ influences. They just... did this...

------------------------------------------------

good movie inspired by Gigers work, PLOP PIECE OF SHIT, YAY NOW MARKET, ???, Profit??? Nope :[

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012, 06:33 PM by crisosphinx.)
12-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Spoiler incoming:

I thought prometheus was okay until they were attacked. From there on it was a downhill climb. The thing which broke all immersion for me was when the main-character gets infected with an alien in her stomach and the "robot"/David basically implies that he will give her "a slow painful death" (- as well as bringing dangerous aliens back to earth). She removes the alien with a "brutal cutting" in the capsule and severly wounded stumbles out to join David again as if nothing happened. Is this character suicidal/psychotic or both?

After that I had to pause the film and look up who wrote the script. Oh surprise. One of the writers also wrote the series "Lost". That actually explained a lot.

In my opinion they tried to cram too much nonsense into it; just to call it "mystical" or "mind-boggling". It doesn't really pan out that way though, the story becomes muddled instead and looses its "red-thread". I have nothing against films being mystical - but mysteries have to be planned and tied together through a great net of hints and logic.

I liked the environments though. I can probably recommend seeing this movie once - it's worth that, but I wouldn't see it again.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

12-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(12-04-2012, 06:29 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 03:46 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Yes, you have a degree in film, but you might need a degree in science to understand the lack of it, and see the plot holes in this movie. I don't understand how nobody involved with this movie had even a basic understanding of scientific concepts.
If every movie was scientifically correct, we would have a lot of boring films. Explain Avatar to me... Scientifically, it had a lot of plausible aspects, but the entirety of the film begs scientific fact. There's a reason why Prometheus is in the category of Science Fiction and not Science Non-Fiction (Documentary). The "plot-holes" you talk about are, via film and story telling, not plot holes.

The characters, I never said they were good actors. They were decent at best, but they made for memorable characters. The relativity of the philosophy in the movie was golden, otherwise, people wouldn't have debated on it. You can't doubt that. Do I agree with the philosophy, not really.

AVP and AVPR were redundant due to the fact that they weren't made by the same general people, thus they didn't follow the story-line of that specific Universe. It'd be like if Pandemic made a game about Batman (yes, I know Warner Brothers made the game series), and put Batman in San Francisco as a person with a mental disability and guns. It doesn't follow the same plot, it doesn't reveal the official back-story, it's completely off the wall, it's NOT part of the series; however, it might be fun to play, even if it's controversial. That's why it's redundant, the story is not applicable and irrelevant.

Whether or not we agree that the science was bad in the movie and that the actors did a good job of their parts, but had shitty characters, is beside the point. The story, itself, and the entirety of it's videography/filmography was a success. They had stunning visuals, they provided a unique story (I'm referring to Avatar, which was just Pocahontas), the characters were unique and are stuck in your head no matter how much you want to get their idiotic personalities out, the way it was filmed was very intellectually done so, as well. It's not Trolls 2, it's not Avatar, it's not (THANK GOD) Avatar the Last Airbender the movie. YES, it's actually part of the Alien series; YES, it's acting was not good at times (every movie has that); YES, the science was not correct (IT'S BLOODY SCIENCE FICTION, you could complain about every other movie/game/ book that uses shitty science, but you are complaining about a movie that has fricken ALIENS in it. ALIENS ARE NOT REAL ANYWAYS).

The movie was good in it's own way, it was not a piece of shit, it was innovative in a lot of ways, and, yes, it's not the best movie ever. But so many people worked hard on it, they deserved what they were paid. It also produced jobs for people. If you think I'm wrong about any of this, talk to my degree and then look at yours (if you have one).

[EDIT]: Sorry, I don't mean to sound angry, it's just rolling off that way right now cause I'm starving and my lunch break is consisting of me replying to you.

Also, I'm a huge HG Giger fan if you can't tell. I'm obsessed with the Alien series as I am with James Bond. Resurrection was the worst movie of the bunch due to... well.. that ending. They didn't use HR Gigers art/ concepts/ influences. They just... did this...

------------------------------------------------

good movie inspired by Gigers work, PLOP PIECE OF SHIT, YAY NOW MARKET, ???, Profit??? Nope :[
Come on - you have a film degree, yet you don't understand science fiction. Science fiction isn't a handwave that you can use to explain anything whenever you feel like it. It's a plausible extrapolation from current science. The more that you can root the science in realism, the better science fiction it is. You have FTL drives because they're absolutely necessary to go anywhere in the solar system at a reasonable speed, and you have cryostasis because people think that it's plausible, and both concepts are also very popular. When you write fiction, you try to do as much as possible, with as small changes as possible, otherwise people will not take a movie seriously.

For science fiction, the alien series is made to look realistic. We have FTL, cryosleep, autodocs, cyborgs, and maybe even aliens (other than xenomorphs), but this tech is described in as realistic of a fashion as possible. It is rooted in current science, and that's what made people relate to it and like it. Nostromo wasn't a space yacht for transdimensional tourists, but a boring ore cargo ship, because that's the most realistic thing that we'd be doing with FTL.

In contrast, Prometheus had advanced GPS mapping systems that didn't work at all, and Frankenstein medicine. It botched every chance that it got in dealing with basic scientific concepts of *today*, and most basic procedures, because the writers had absolutely no clue whatsoever, how science has worked during the recent century. That website that they made, I bet they wrote/edited that just to cover their asses after the movie flopped, and it still cannot patch all the holes. In fact, the patches are so strained, that they just present new holes: If they can scan the air inside every sealed cervice of a base for alien contaminants, then how come they don't pick up the black goo? "Because... ...science!"?

You say that this movie created jobs, like it's some kind of a feat. Digging a hole is a job, and so is making a successful movie. If these guys would just have hired an actual scientist - even a freaking average nerd - they would have made a successful movie, whose sequel most people won't pirate to see.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Find