Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brute following closest pathnode
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Brute following closest pathnode

The monster is scripted to first go right. after that with no script, he goes back to the first pathnode he reached. and then goes to the last he reached again.. But shouldn't he be following the closest one?

[Image: 34pde3d.png]

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 04:29 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Brute following closest pathnode

Just a random thought, but isn't the nearest pathnode from the far right the one in the middle, which points to the one on the right?
06-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Find
Posting Freak

What do you mean it points to the right? It just is there.. or... do i have to clear the monsters pathnode before it will go all random?

06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I have very little modding experience, but in Dromed (the Thief editor) you must assign NPCs to pathnodes which are linked in a specific order. I don't know how it's done in the HPL editor but if you have the "find nearest pathnode" setting selected on the brute, and you accidentally made the center pathnode point to the one on the right, so that the brute is guaranteed to follow them sequentially, then maybe you just have an endless loop going on; the center pathnode points to the one on the right, and the one on the right points to the center one by default because it is the nearest.
06-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

If you keep him spawned, by looking at him or by being inside his activation area, he'll always remain alive, and will keep going back and forth.
--------------------------------
This is grunt mechanics but should apply almost the same as brute too when we talk about position:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWPU6frXmUY

-----------------------------------
Also, Add a lot of pathnodes around the map! pathnodes are the position that the monster can reach to navigate around, if there are no nodes on every corridor the monster will just run towards the walls or just stay idle!
Watch Amnesia's default maps (like the prisons) to understand how to put the pathnodes Wink

listen to boards of canada
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM by Hardarm.)
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

(06-06-2012, 04:48 PM)Hardarm Wrote: if there are no nodes on every corridor the monster will just run towards the walls or just stay idle!
That is exactly why i put all those pathnodes in my map. I already know about pathnodes. I just don't know how to make it go to the closest.

How do i set it go to closest pathnodes? When it has it's pathnodes cleared it just stand there...

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(06-06-2012, 04:54 PM)beecake Wrote: How do i set it go to closest pathnodes? When it has it's pathnodes cleared it just stand there...
It will go to the closest pathnode if the monster has to go into an another pathnode area. If you make a sound the monster will go at the closest pathnode near your "sound-node". Can't help you much than this sorry...

EDIT: Why would he go left if you ONLY triggered him to go to the right? I said he will go back and forth from the first to the last. The first is at the center the last is at the right. He has no reason to go to the "closest" one imo. He just uses the nearest pathnodes to get the SHORTER WAY to get to your target pathnode. Got it? if he goes to the left and he has to go to the right he should have done a whole turn. Because you triggered him to go to the right and he will choose the pathnodes that are more "faster" and "suitable" for him.

listen to boards of canada
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM by Hardarm.)
06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

(06-06-2012, 08:26 PM)Hardarm Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 04:54 PM)beecake Wrote: How do i set it go to closest pathnodes? When it has it's pathnodes cleared it just stand there...
It will go to the closest pathnode if the monster has to go into an another pathnode area. If you make a sound the monster will go at the closest pathnode near your "sound-node". Can't help you much than this sorry...

EDIT: Why would he go left if you ONLY triggered him to go to the right? I said he will go back and forth from the first to the last. The first is at the center the last is at the right. He has no reason to go to the "closest" one imo. He just uses the nearest pathnodes to get the SHORTER WAY to get to your target pathnode. Got it? if he goes to the left and he has to go to the right he should have done a whole turn. Because you triggered him to go to the right and he will choose the pathnodes that are more "faster" and "suitable" for him.
Makes sense. So i would have to script him to go away?

06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Find