Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Weird stuttering (memory leak?)
RayMarden Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Weird stuttering (memory leak?)

This is completely vague, but I wanted to report strange mouse and graphic stuttering in the hub-type area after you get out of the sewers. This is just after you load into this area and you go through the cinematic of your "friend" getting a name.

Previous game ran fine, demo ran fine, and Black Plague was running great until I got to this point. I am playing through it, but the framerate seems much lower and, more than that, it's stuttering (same speed...same speed...SKIP....same speed...same speed...SKIP....) It's a constant effect, too - I can just go stare at a wall or stop moving and, just moving my mouse around, the mouse icon will stutter a bit.

The strange thing is that this stuttering is now occuring everywhere. Even if I go back to the previous loading area (previous save point room with the television and fuse box,) that area, too, is now experiencing this same stuttering. Likewise, any of the various new areas (loading zones) continue this same stuttering.

Even if I exit the game, reload the game, and bring up my savegame (which, again, has me in a loading zone prior to the area that originally experienced the stuttering,) it has this stutter.

There is nothing on my system that changed during this change in performance and, again, everything (previous game, demo, current release) ran perfectly fine until that point.
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Weird stuttering (memory leak?)

Sounds either the graphics card need cooling down, or some program in the background messing things up.
02-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Find
RayMarden Offline

Threads: 4

Igore this post, I guess.

Thinking there was some type of memory leak, I rebooted. After reboot, the savegame loaded fine and I was able to enter the problematic area and not have the stuttering.

I tested it a bit further, though - I keep on loading from the post-sewer savegame room into the "hub" area and, after quite a few loadings, the stuttering came back.

Another reboot and things are working fine. It seems like this builds up over time after so many loadings, but either way, I have a workaround for it.
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Find
Antti Offline

Threads: 12

This happens to me too! Sad
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Find
HiCZoK Offline

Threads: 2

Its just a driver issue ,If you are on nvidia just get new drivers betas and you are set
02-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I saw in another thread that turning off "Threaded Optimization" in the nvidia control panel might help, I also recall this tip from back then overture was released. Could try that as well
02-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Website Find