Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New More Do-able/Exciting Project and going away for a while
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
New More Do-able/Exciting Project and going away for a while

Even though I had a story idea for "Beneath the Ice", after replaying Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague I have decided to shelve "Beneath the Ice" in favor of a better story. Even when I first played Penumbra, I loved how 'real' it felt.Not just its mechanics, but the story itself felt like "Something like this could really happen" (granted this was before encountering the giant worm and the Tuurngait).

So if I want that same kind of feel, that this story could really happen, I needed a new direction. I will share a secret, I love the sea critters, especially the deep sea ones. If I'm lucky, I would join the explorers into those unexplored depths. Taking this thought in mind, I developed a new story line that I would 100% enjoy doing (far more than my "Beneath the Ice" one) and be easier to make.

Please note that I will not be on this forum until the first chapter of the story is done. I promise to never shelve this story but create it. Considering it's designed off of my deep sea desires, I never will be able to shelve it. Time taken away from being in the forum will include: story production, new models (still updating my Linux/Blender), and testing the first chapter before release. Also note that the you play character shares my desires for the deep, but who's name isn't mine. Consider the teaser below as a trailer for an upcoming movie, something that gets you interested in more (but have to wait for its release).

---Robert is finally living his dreams of exploring the unknown frontier! This frontier isn't in space, but down in the ocean depths, where strange sea critters thrive despite the intense pressures. Working for the leading organization on ocean exploration, who prepare the descent you will take in the Kermadec Trench. Your mind wonders what you will encounter down in the unknown. Known deep sea critters are already more bizarre than people ever imagined. As a boy, you've daydreamed of finding Megalodons, a 60' more muscled version of the Great White Shark and undisputed King of the Seas, in the deep sea trenches. Reading Steve Alten's MEG series only added to your dreams of the deep. Dreams can turn into nightmares however. By the time you start exploring the trench, you face unexpected mysteries and terrors so horrifying that you wish only a mere Megalodon was hunting you! Are you ready to discover the secrets of...

The Dark Depths
(coming to a computer near you)
10-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: New More Do-able/Exciting Project and going away for a while

What! You stole my idea!!

Haha, just kidding man, I'd never have the time to create a deep sea story myself anyway, so I'm very happy to see someone else is doing it instead! Big Grin
I love the general concept of deep sea exploration and I'm really looking forward to what you're going to do with it.
Not so sure about the Megalodon... it gives it a little bit of a "Sharktopus - B - movie vibe" if you catch my drift...maybe just have him search for a more real creature instead, like those giant squid sperm whales hunt for? Wink
10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Looks good. Will it be a total conversion? Can the player swim?
I'm curious about how are you going to represent the sea. Or whatever you're going to put in the depths.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with the project Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

I'd say since you need heavy equipment to dive in the deep sea, the player would just walk on the ground slowly. Kinda like those sequencs in bioshock 2 where you walk around on the sea floor in your heavy big daddy armor/ diving suit. Might make it extra scary because you can't run - like those nightmares where you're followed by something and your feet feel so heavy suddenly ...
10-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I mean, there was a full conversion (stopped now Sad) called atlantis. There they gave you the option of swimming.

It would be cool to swim for there, and stuff. But, a full conversion would be necessary.
So, will you use the rock worm in this story? Will be there something lovecraftian?

I'm really excited for this-your ideas are amazing, Rock worm (the human one, not the monster XD)

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(10-12-2012, 11:54 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: What! You stole my idea!!

Haha, just kidding man, I'd never have the time to create a deep sea story myself anyway, so I'm very happy to see someone else is doing it instead! Big Grin
I love the general concept of deep sea exploration and I'm really looking forward to what you're going to do with it.
Not so sure about the Megalodon... it gives it a little bit of a "Sharktopus - B - movie vibe" if you catch my drift...maybe just have him search for a more real creature instead, like those giant squid sperm whales hunt for? Wink
First off, I'm happy for the good feedbacks from the two of you. It makes me happy to know that I've sparked interest.

Second, I thought I should clarify my teaser. in bold is the update.

---Robert is finally living his dreams
of exploring the unknown frontier! This frontier isn't in space, but
down in the ocean depths, where strange sea critters thrive despite the
intense pressures. Working for the leading organization on ocean
exploration, who prepare the descent you will take in the Kermadec
Trench. Your mind wonders what you will encounter down in the unknown.
Known deep sea critters are already more bizarre than people ever
imagined. As a boy, you've daydreamed of finding Megalodons, a 60' more
muscled version of the Great White Shark and undisputed King of the
Seas, in the deep sea trenches. Reading Steve Alten's MEG series only
added to your dreams of the deep. You do not find any Megalodons, however you find monsters so terrifying that the Megalod would, if it were still alive, be at the BOTTOM of the food chain! Are you ready to discover the secrets of...

The Dark Depths

(coming to a computer near you)

Sorry for the confusion. I'm going to design realistic extremely deep sea critters with what I think could be possible for the deep sea critters with gigantism that thrive only in those extreme depths. Well, back to my long work. Be back when it's done.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2012, 02:30 AM by The Rock Worm.)
10-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Find