Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Work in progress GRAVESTOCK HPL3 Pending Super-Project Maybe?
JPPaperstacks Offline

Threads: 4
Rainbow  GRAVESTOCK HPL3 Pending Super-Project Maybe?

I have an idea for not a custom story, but a total conversion mod that goes beyond what anything out on HPL2 has to offer. Please bare in mind that I'm just sharing this idea with you and that when I say HPL3 Pending Super-Project, it doesn't mean I have the means of creating it. It would require a pretty talented modeler and someone capable of rigging animations to the creatures they create- and I mean some big baddies.
The story is a bit far fetched but I feel like is has a haunting ring to it.
It involves the player going through ten different massive levels that each take a theme in the form of a PHASE, a sort of dimension if you will. They physically start moving around in the world as the respectful character in an intro fashion- a very short segment that each features a unique "death scene" which rips the character through the world of the living into that of a shared consciousness with the other characters.
I've imagined the mod with a disabled inventory and journal, where dynamic objects, narrative and environmental lighting is key to pushing the player forward- but everywhere else at the same time in a small but open world setting.

The game itself would consist of about ten different characters each with their own theme, level, and monster. (The monster is a single entity in the game world and only exists once.)

I won't spoil the hitch quite yet but if you want to have a look see I created a wikia for the entire concept that can be found here:

http://gravestock.wikia.com/wiki/GRAVESTOCK

I have about 6 creatures mapped out and planned with full abilities and style... but I can't model or animate, again. I have tons of decent written characters to match them up with and infinite locales to eff with people's minds.

I have a FANTASTIC written ending that's included in the wikia (near the end) if I do say so myself, no homo.
I came up with it in a story session with my Mom's boyfriend, when we were sitting behind a chicken coop drinking, and it's been stuck ever since. The wikia also mentions lesser monsters in detail compared to the main creatures, but I'll constantly add more info, especially if this thread is proven to be good or not.

I have plans for an airplane level that rips into the world of the Gravestock, a cityscape phase, a infinitesimal pitch black factory, an insane man who isn't dead- but rather visiting the realm through a fractured psyche, and tons more.

I also have ideas in the making for a much easier game I could create myself called STEPS, and a grunge/drug epic in the dark alleyways of Tokyo where you run from bulky Asian thugs instead of grunts and brutes I like to call HATE ARCADE (60 substances to choose from, which utilizes screen effects and insanity to create full trip sequences!) :D

The monster in the following material is known as codename: Hedgerow for now, but that could change as could anything else really.

I'm writing this off of imagination, so imagine with me.

Come on, you know you want to...

Imagine:

You are Micah Elias, a retired firefighter from a department in Quebec. Taking a stroll down a gravel road one day you spot a light pacing in your direction from up the pathway, but give it no second thought and continue forth. Some distance later you notice the light waving wildly back and forth almost as if the person were frantic to attempt to get your attention. You stop and wait as the light comes closer at a nearly frightening rate. Eventually you make out the shadow of a small child in white, a girl wearing what looked to be a church dress. You call out to her asking if she needs help of some kind, but she says nothing back but to shout, "Hey Mister!" Multiple times between the few dozen yards that lay dividing you from her now. The girl slows down, and seems as if she's in no danger at all to you now. You can make her out in the darkness now but her lantern blinds you from seeing her full figure, though you make out that she has what seems to be a stick in her hand opposite of the spotlight. You start, "What's that you have th-" but are cut off by a ringing in your ears and a flashing burned into your eyes. You recall her pulling the stick upwards, levying it with all her weight and then nothing; you see nothing, you hear nothing. What you do experience is the gravel rushing past you, you feel the dirt remoulding around you and rushing past your entirety. Micah Elias, a 46 year old retired firefighter that put out well over 130 fires in his lifetime was slaughtered by a nine year old girl with a shotgun in the dead of night for no reason... and this was just the beginning.

He felt ground beneath him, but not as if under himself, but holding him upright- nearly throwing him into the cold, clean air. You catch yourself and rush back to a wake state, feeling like a newborn resuscitated back to a precious life. You see darkness still, but a light in the distance of the sky marking morning's arrival. It is by this light that you stare before you at the floor of the Earth and behold an open grave, but not dug up. This hole was covered with left over grass still attached to it's roots on the brim of it's bedding, and it looked like it had been ripped apart, as if something had torn it's way out of the grave. After the grave lay a ruined tombstone, which read a generic R.I.P. in big engraved letters centered on the rock. You step back and marvel at the logic running through your mind at this point, "This can't be real."

You survey your surroundings in the pink lit sky, and find yourself in a place that seemed unfamiliar to you; but at the same time memories flood your mind of putting out dozens of fires in the same kind of locale. You stand in an opening nearly perfect in a circular stature at what seemed to be the center in a thick, Autumn forest, as dead and as dry as could be; which was nearly comforting due to your background. Just then, though, the comfort is broken by the sound of twigs snapping and leaves rustling in the tree line. You spot a slow, lumbering figure staggering towards you and you remember the girl in a flash- "She's come back to finish me off!"

You dart in the other direction and weave through the trees, making what you think to be good distance at first. After about 40 meters though, you stop and stare back, feeling that same denial creeping into your mind. "What's that noise?" You think to yourself, starting off again while watching over your shoulder. It sounding like a great river rushing towards you, as if a thousand knives were scrapping against each other... and then the sun breaks over the treeline in the distance, blinding you for a second- just as the girl's lantern had, except that it shadow's the figure now, for the sun being behind it; and you make out it's shape.

A thousand knives... A ball of blades rolling towards you, hulking as it tears down trees and bounces off of harder surfaces, sending it soaring through the air. You turn and book it, more scared in your life than you've ever been; of flame, of little girl's with shotguns, of death- this thing beat them all. It pulverizes a tree right next to you as you dodge out of the way and begin down a slope that continues into thicker forest. The creature starts after you, speeding down the hill to close for any more comfort than you may have managed nearly minutes ago. You are in a state of survival, and duck under the base of a large halfway uprooted tree, crawling out the other side to find a much muddier, and steeper slope than the last. Finally, losing your footing, your descend some ways down onto a short bank that borders a small, yet eerily straight stream.

Peering back up the mud way as you run for your life along the bank, you view the monster crawling through the thick trees, breaking more down as it tries to force it's way through. At this- you get a "good" look at the thing at last, though it won't be an easy one to forget. It looked as if it were a giant mass of skin and meat stapled together, stitched, and sewn with chain of all things; it lacked legs, but more than made up for it in arms- there were nearly a dozen of them holding it up and nudging it along. It had no face, or head at that, and was completely nonsensical. That thing cannot be alive, it's impossible...

You outrun it as you bend around a path that branches off of the bank to the east of the stream, darting through trees and brush. Just as you start to feel safety reaching you at last you notice a quick, high pitch whine ripping through the air from your left. You check back over your shoulder and are startled as your thrust into a tree next to you, getting a face full of bark. You scream out in pain and reach back over your left shoulder and grasp a tremendous blade pinning you to the large dead tree. You dig the edge deep into your palm and try to pull it loose but it slashes your hand and sends pain shooting down your arm. You look around the floor in a panic and find a rock about a hand full's size and reach for it, but the pain in your shoulder keeps you from grabbing it properly and you drop it, causing it to roll away out of hope's grasp. Horrified, you look over your shoulder to what sounds like the creature drawing near, choking on itself. In a final attempt to escape the death trap you put your hands on the trunk of the tree and mercilessly push yourself away from the tree, the blade remaining in place, and your shoulder traveling over it's long and thin body. You throw up as you are released from the sword with a final breeze of pain and ecstasy ripping through you to your core, and you begin to lug forward, pushing yourself to continue... to survive...

The monstrosity knows it wounded you, and is slowly pursuing you, pushing itself along the ground with it's multiple arms. It reaches back and grabs another blade, which expands out of it's skin at the hilt like a quill in a porcupine. It's cuts it's flesh just as you attempted to pull out the blade from your back, but the creature feels no pain- and rips them from itself with great ease, using them as spears, throwing them at high speed with incomparable strength. Nearly hitting you again a number of times, but you've learned to stay low and quick, and avoid the javelins as they rocket past you and stick trees, sometimes even penetrating through them entirely. Some weaker trees even get chopped down in the process, blades spinning and slicing them clean.

You arrive at what appears to be a man made apple orchard that's seen a bit too many unkempt days to last in a place like this. The apples are all rotten and litter the floor and the trees, you even slip on a few while scrambling to get some distance between you and it. You arrive at a large tree in the center of the orchard where a lone, worn, old wooden ladder stands reaching into it's branches. You can't carry on much longer and climb the ladder in hopes of signaling someone from afar, and as you make the top and pull yourself into the dead limbs of the huge tree, you watch the creature turn into the orchard. He stands at the end of the trees for a small increment of time then stretches forward into himself, curling into a big ball, the same terrifying shape you "met" it in before.

You cap the top of the large plant and start screaming for help in all directions. As you do, it seems like the action starts to slow down time, and erupt the orchard in sparks. A fire births and engulfs the dead trees in what seems like an instant, but weren't they always that a way? This forest wasn't always an inferno? Realities of all kinds begin to dawn on Micah as he slouches back in the tree, smelling smoke uprising from the base of his tree. "This cannot be real." You tell yourself again, as you center with the beast, voyeur as you might it roll through the dissipated sticks- meeting you again as a compassionate reunion between two souls, the victim- and the murderer. "What did I do to deserve all of this?" You think to yourself as the thing unravels and launches through the air, hands full of knives outstretching...

This is the fate of all souls.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM by JPPaperstacks.)
06-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Find
Measuring Offline

Threads: 16
RE: GRAVESTOCK HPL3 Pending Super-Project Maybe?

It's a good idea but i think it's a bit too ambitious. I do not believe you will find people who are willing to model/animate for this since most of the guys that know modelling/animation are working on their own thing.
But you can allways try Smile

The Facility
Tenebris Lake
Killings In Altstadt
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Find
JPPaperstacks Offline

(06-21-2012, 12:26 PM)Measuring Wrote: It's a good idea but i think it's a bit too ambitious. I do not believe you will find people who are willing to model/animate for this since most of the guys that know modelling/animation are working on their own thing.
But you can allways try :)

Yeah, like I said, it's far fetched. :D I'm not really asking for help now though, I'm just putting it out there that I'm collecting custom models (which say they're free of use with credit to the authors) with their creator's name and already created an extended list of credits.

I'm also slowly learning how to use Blender, but I figure by the time HPL3 actually does come out, I can start on environments and objects for in-game play. Monsters might take... years to learn, in fact I know they'll take awhile. Hedgerow wasn't ever actually meant to throw the blades, it was a heat of the moment kind of story writing, and I realize how hard it would be to animate that action- so it more than likely will be scrapped. I just needed to know if people would be interested in the bits of story their fed through each characters short afterlife (it's a cycle, which would support logic for ever playing through each level again) and the fact that once a original title was released, I could add more characters complete with their own new level, and baddie; like a series of DLC.

Any form of positive feedback is still enough to get me pumped into building more of it now though, so thank you again! :)
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM by JPPaperstacks.)
06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

You can even use HPL1 and turn it into HPL2 and then work on it up to HPL3.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Find
JPPaperstacks Offline

(06-21-2012, 09:53 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: You can even use HPL1 and turn it into HPL2 and then work on it up to HPL3.

I started with HPL2, there's no reason to back track to HPL1, and HPL3 will have some new scripts available to create some better situations with. I'm mostly working on structures and indoor areas, and the plane for now. (The plane is looking wonderful.) But yes, I will continue from HPL2 into the new engine coming out.

I also have an idea for a game called Occlusion that uses fog in some interesting new ways; but not even HPL3 would have the tech to create a game like it, though the interaction with furniture and containers is just what I imagined for it about three years ago.

I just wish I could write games that developers could pick up, because I have loads of easier stories that could definitely be completed as a simple custom story for Amnesia.
06-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

You can't use HPL2 as a game engine. That's the point. You can use HPL2 only for modding purposes and can't change the main game dynamics, such as the physics module(Newton Dynamics, I believe) or any other core function.

In HPL1 you can do that, so you can obtain HPL2 from HPL1 and then from an Open Source version of HPL2 obtain HPL3.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Find
JPPaperstacks Offline

(06-22-2012, 02:44 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: You can't use HPL2 as a game engine. That's the point. You can use HPL2 only for modding purposes and can't change the main game dynamics, such as the physics module(Newton Dynamics, I believe) or any other core function.

In HPL1 you can do that, so you can obtain HPL2 from HPL1 and then from an Open Source version of HPL2 obtain HPL3.
HPL2's physics are gorgeous, I wouldn't dare touch them. But replacing every texture and object in the mod is enough to give the illusion of a whole new game- I replaced every texture in the main Amnesia story line, and it doesn't even feel like the same game anymore.

I understand what you mean, (though I had no idea before you could) but the only thing close to physics I really plan on tinkering with is things like the player speed and the weight of certain entities. Thank you so much for pointing that out to me, but I have one question about it;

Is HPL1 available as a download for Penumbra: Overture? I only have experience with HPL2. It will work as long as I have Penumbra, I mean? Is it required?
06-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

HPL1 is open source, anyone can use it.
06-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

But it's documentation is limited, as is the community that supports it. Not a good thing to mess around if you have no experience with C++.

06-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Find
JPPaperstacks Offline

(06-22-2012, 07:48 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: But it's documentation is limited, as is the community that supports it. Not a good thing to mess around if you have no experience with C++.
Yeah, the script functions page for HPL2 is what made it so easy for me, and I have no idea what C++ even really is. -.- I'm only familiar with concept and "leisure" design, and I mean Sim City, Excitebike 64, FarCry 1 and 2, Timesplitters, and any RTS editor. (FarCry 2's map editor took it much farther for me.) Legendary Tales and Amnesia introduced me into modding.

Otherwise- I'm can make sound. I don't think I'll use HPL1, I already had to reinstall Amnesia about 3 times to get it's editor tool to work right.
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Find