Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key Keeps Glitching/Disappearing *SPOILER*
EChondo Offline

Threads: 1
Key Keeps Glitching/Disappearing *SPOILER*

Okay, so I'm past the water part and I have 2 of the 3 rods to fix the elevator, now I found a key in the "Guest Room" that's left of the "Study" room in the "Back Hall" area.

I found the key, it's behind the painting and it's in a glass bottle. I break the glass bottle but the key is nowhere to be found. I reload the game, the key is back in the glass bottle when I reloaded and it seems every single time I try and break the glass to get the key, the key just disappears into thin air and it's nowhere to be seen after I break the bottle. I have reinstalled the game twice now, I have "Verified Integrity of Cache" and I have reloaded my save multiple times now.

It just keeps happening, I'm uploading a video now to show what I'm talking about exactly, this is a Steam install so I've done everything imaginable. Any help will be greatly appreciated and this is my first run through of the game so please don't spoil it for me. *Brofist*

*Edit* Video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BdX-ndoeA
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM by EChondo.)
06-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Find
Serena Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Key Keeps Glitching/Disappearing *SPOILER*

Try loading a save that is before your first entry into the Guest Room.

Unfortunately, I don't have better advice - that key definitely did disappear after it would have exited the glass jar.

An idea - grab the key before it finishes falling as the glass breaks? >_<
06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Find
EChondo Offline

(06-28-2012, 11:51 PM)Serena Wrote: Try loading a save that is before your first entry into the Guest Room.

Unfortunately, I don't have better advice - that key definitely did disappear after it would have exited the glass jar.

An idea - grab the key before it finishes falling as the glass breaks? >_<
Thanks for the idea but sadly no go. I've tried that just now a couple times and still nothing. When the glass breaks the key auto disappears. I've thrown it up at the ceiling and sadly nothing but glass fell down. I've been in the room a couple times, the monster or creature or whatever you want to call him/her has already scared the piss out of me and doesn't reappear again. I'll try reloading a save to see but this is just stupid.

Thanks again. Anyone else with some ideas?

*Edit* After looking through my saves, I don't have a recent enough save to reload it. Clearly I have to completely restart the game or wait for the developers to patch it. *sigh*
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 12:09 AM by EChondo.)
06-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

If you upload a save of the guest room I could try and play that segment to get you the key?

If I can't manage to get the item to spawn I can do a quick run-through up to that point in the game or try some save-editing. If I have to do a runthough you will be missing journal entries, tinderboxes and oil though - I won't be going out my way to get those things.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 01:09 AM by Apjjm.)
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Find
EChondo Offline

(06-29-2012, 01:07 AM)Apjjm Wrote: If you upload a save of the guest room I could try and play that segment to get you the key?

If I can't manage to get the item to spawn I can do a quick run-through up to that point in the game or try some save-editing. If I have to do a runthough you will be missing journal entries, tinderboxes and oil though - I won't be going out my way to get those things.

Thanks for the help, it's a autosave file and I've uploaded it to Mediafire, is that alright?
http://www.mediafire.com/?tb1lv4ef87sdtgt

You dont need to do a speed run, I appreciate it but if I'm gonna need to do a restart then by all means I'll do that myself as I like having almost 30 tinder boxes and 8 things of lantern oil on standby if need be :3
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Are you sure you didn't pick up it earlier? Because it is supposed to disappear only after you collected it already.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
06-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Find
EChondo Offline

(06-29-2012, 08:00 AM)Kein Wrote: Are you sure you didn't pick up it earlier? Because it is supposed to disappear only after you collected it already.

I'm sorry, not intending to be rude but, did you watch my video? I know I try to be vivid in my description but in all the video shows a whole lot more. You can see my inventory has no key whatsoever, I believe this key is for the locked "Storage" door that has blood and bones infront of it? I'm not entirely sure, the door is still locked and there is only one key that I can find, you can see that the key is in the bottle and is behind the painting and when it breaks, there is nothing, the glass disappears and that's it, no key.

Thanks for the post though.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 08:07 AM by EChondo.)
06-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Find
jamesclarke555 Offline

Threads: 2

I have a workaround that you could try, if you go to maps\main\ch01 and open 09_back_hall.hps in Notepad.

Find SetLevelDoorLocked("level_wood_4", true); and change the value to false. When you load the map the machine room door should be unlocked.

Hope it works out for you.

- Parasomnia -
[Image: SxShD]
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 12:01 PM by jamesclarke555.)
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

I played your save. It appears you have already collected the key and used it on the machine room door (the door is unlocked) - I'm guessing the glass jar re-spawns and the painting resets when you re-enter the guest room (but the key doesn't), which may be causing some confusion. You can just head on over to the machine room and it should already be open.

Try the following fix if the machine room door is locked for you:
Spoiler below!

open up your save file (the one you uploaded) in a text editor with line numbers (like notepad++) and go to line 18003 (or search "level_wood_4" and scroll up a little bit). You should see the following line:
<var type="1" name="mbLocked" val="false" />
If the line says "true" instead of "false" - change it so it says "false".

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM by Apjjm.)
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(06-29-2012, 08:07 AM)EChondo Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 08:00 AM)Kein Wrote: Are you sure you didn't pick up it earlier? Because it is supposed to disappear only after you collected it already.

I'm sorry, not intending to be rude but, did you watch my video? I know I try to be vivid in my description but in all the video shows a whole lot more. You can see my inventory has no key whatsoever, I believe this key is for the locked "Storage" door that has blood and bones infront of it? I'm not entirely sure, the door is still locked and there is only one key that I can find, you can see that the key is in the bottle and is behind the painting and when it breaks, there is nothing, the glass disappears and that's it, no key.

Thanks for the post though.

No, I did not watch the video simply because I have flash plugin disabled and i haven't seen it in the post.

But I know game well to be aware of what are you talking about. More than that, I captured this "bug" (it is not exactly a bug but rather feature of the engine) in my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...VY4#t=211s
And no, this key is for the machinery room, not for the storage.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Find