Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Ending Discussion (SPOILERS, obviously)
OO Agent Offline

Threads: 5
Ending Discussion (SPOILERS, obviously)

So, did i miss something, or who was the message ACTUALLY sent to? was it the "player" or someone Phillip knew? If its not the player, is he contacting someone else, would that leave it open for another Penumbra without Phillip? (i know this was the last Penumbra, but there could be the story of someone else.)

What happened to Phillip after the message was sent? Did he go crazy or die from exhaustion (since he was panting frantically before you sent the last part of the message)? Did he stay there until he died?

btw to the devs: i was sorta angry when watching the install of the game. i love to play a game and have it unfold before my eyes. when i saw the install say something along the lines of models/howard_corpse, i was like "GAHH!!!!" even though i would assumed we'd see him in some form in this last chapter, i was still alittle angry. so maybe have the next game's installer just give us a percentage of how much is installed? lol

But AWESOME game, i loved it more than the first. Clerence was a great character, i loved his comic relif. i cant wait to see what you guys have in store next Smile
02-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Find
MarcusStuhr Offline

RE: Ending Discussion (SPOILERS, obviously)

I think the story is sort of running along a parallel: You, the player, are the trusted friend reading Phillip's messages, and the game itself is showing Phillip's experiences.

I am still a little confused about how to piece all this together. There's that blue mist, mutation from human to something "infected," the Tuurngait's collective self... not sure how it all fits. So the Tuurngait has existed for a long time, even before the humans, and somehow the humans mined and discovered the Tuurngait and tried to capture/utilize them? Was was the Tuurngait's form of "attack"? "Infection"? I'd have to play both Penumbras again to get a better idea for what was going on (at least now I know what Red was really going through -- he probably had a Clarence of his own, but for a much longer period of time, explaining his insanity), but I'm trying to figure out why the humans even created the mines, what they were precisely after, and what the Tuurngait did in retaliation, and why Phillip needs to warn others of even entering that mine.

It doesn't seem like the earth is in much danger from the Tuurngait -- there was only one visitor (Phillip) that entire year entering the mines (as seen from the diagnostic program in the Research Room). It seems like everything would eventually just die off... I mean consider all the stuff Phillip went through to even get to the Shelter! Everything's so bottlenecked down there, and the path is so long and extensive. Is there really any danger to anyone other than those who enter the mine? It seems like no rational person would never do so unless they had some circumstance or connecting reason (in Phillip's case, his father).

Also, what was up with the gunfire evidence? Was this during some sort of Tuurngait retaliation or against the infected?
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2008, 10:45 PM by ronsen.)
02-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43

OO Agent Wrote:So, did i miss something, or who was the message ACTUALLY sent to? was it the "player" or someone Phillip knew? If its not the player, is he contacting someone else, would that leave it open for another Penumbra without Phillip? (i know this was the last Penumbra, but there could be the story of someone else.)

What happened to Phillip after the message was sent? Did he go crazy or die from exhaustion (since he was panting frantically before you sent the last part of the message)? Did he stay there until he died?

btw to the devs: i was sorta angry when watching the install of the game. i love to play a game and have it unfold before my eyes. when i saw the install say something along the lines of models/howard_corpse, i was like "GAHH!!!!" even though i would assumed we'd see him in some form in this last chapter, i was still alittle angry. so maybe have the next game's installer just give us a percentage of how much is installed? lol

But AWESOME game, i loved it more than the first. Clerence was a great character, i loved his comic relif. i cant wait to see what you guys have in store next Smile
i think that thell realese a game under a different name aswell
02-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Find
heady Offline

Threads: 0

Well it was an just awsome experience , i at least hope you contiune on the horror theme, you guys were made to create theese kinda games Big Grin. Also i hope your budget get a boost and that you really can establish even more , so we might get even more scared (trust me this is already the scariest game out there) but maybe some animated characters a little more monsters , animations more cut scenes etc you know abit more of the goodies Big Grin.

Anyway keep up the good work.
Think theese type of game style would work really well for a sci-fic horror game as well.
Being on a ship or somthing Alien-like kinda theme.
02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Find
OO Agent Offline

this is a game that you DONT want cutscenes in. like Half-Life, it is meant to be a full experience to the player and make them feel they actually are in the characters situation. putting cutscenes in a game like this would bring the player out of the experience and make them feel like theyre just playing another game. this is also the reason why neither characters talk in both Half-Life and Penumbra.

but i do agree, a bigger budget to create a full-length game and storyline would be an amazing move. as i see it Frictional Games has reinvented the horror genre.
02-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Find
kiokosan Offline

Threads: 1

Very interesting ending al in all was a good game hope more of this comes out or atleast a good movie.
02-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Find
Gemo Offline

Threads: 1

Spooky game - enjoyed it - really have to think your way through the game, both in terms of logical(?) problem solving and spiritually (to follow the game concept)...

At the end Phillip says in his email that he "lied" - what did he mean by that???
02-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Find
TomParis Offline

Pretty nice game. But... something is missing. Maybe the better ending.
I mean..how on the earth, he could have an open internet connection? I now its just game...but! Also, diagnostic tools sad that communication is working but only internal, or something like that. Just one of many inconsistencies.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2008, 10:58 PM by Malice653.)
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Find
britzban Offline

Threads: 2

Good game.. I am not one for finishing games...EVER. I was hooked to this game to the end.
02-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Find
labrujito Offline

You can see at the very end of his email, Philip states repeatedly that he promised the Tuurnait the same as Howard had, to destroy all evidence of the mine and Shelter. He thereafter states that he is breaking his promise and types

"Kill them
Kill them all"

Thus Philip ultimately does not seem to side with the Tuurngait, endorsing their eradication by mankind(s).

For those proposing a new game in the mix, it would be an excellent opportunity for a more combative game. But on that note, I enjoyed both Penumbra (Black Plague much much more) games as they are. Guns would've taken a lot if not all thrill out of it. If I wanted to run and gun in the dark, I could always play Doom 3.

Agreed, Penumbra has brought back True Horror and Survival\Horror, my hats off to the development. I've always wanted a game just like this.

Some people complain its too short, granted, but if had even a few more hours of those puzzles I might've agreed with Clarence to off myself Tongue

Anyway, back to the point.

--------------
Philip's fate: I would imagine the Tuurngait might kill him after that stunt, or he could just wither or finely be overcome by fatigue. He never really found food since the mines in Overture. Without Clarence, Philip could commit suicide if he desired, in a whole plethora of manners that he had been avoiding

Email: I presumed it was addressed to the player as a 3rd party. He probably typed up notes from his entire expedition and merely concluded it with what he wrote at the ending. If you recall the intro, that's a hell of a way to start a story. And the game itself is a living of his Resident Evil: Macgyver experiences

Email2: Interesting reminder stated previously, only internal communications were available. I Hmm... at this. Unless perhaps the Tuurngait enabled outgoing for you. Not sure what to make of it

Tuurngait Infection: The infection is obviously pacification at the pleasantest, despite how the infected are utilized. Consider a basic human male to be a crowbar, now put that man-crowbar into the hands of a beastly man with 10 arms. The infected allow the intelligence to manipulate its environs physically, and the infected pose no threat to itself, thus the pacification. There could be an ulterior motive behind the infection, but that's the simplest surmised explanation

The Hivemind: It stands to question if the overmind is as passive as it plays off to be. True, humans are animals and would ravage such a being out of fear alone. Selfdefense is understandable. There could be a lot more to the whole thing than it was admitting to but there's nothing to speculate on

Dogs\Spiders\Worms: I presume as a result of infection, but who knows. Damn scary. That offers a quest toward whether the Overmind controlled all of them as well, and that would imply it saw Philip coming a LONG way in advance. Which might've tipped off Red's "Clarence" though Red reacted to you turning some lights on

EDIT: A thought. You're obviously still encapsulated by the hive mind when you're about to write the email. It is a possibility the email never got out and the Tuurngait sensed Philip's deception before he could carry it, which again would probably carry dire consequences
02-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Find