Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Ending [Reveled][Major Spoilers]
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
The Ending [Reveled][Major Spoilers]

This Topic Contains Huge Spoilers About Ending. Please Do Not Read Unless You Have Completed The Game Or Enjoy Having Things Ruined For You.

As I did with overture, let’s disect this alittle. But, there isn’t much to disect at all.

In the end (rather confusing) Philip writes the email to someone (you). You receive parts of this email with the intruduction in Penumbra Overture and Penumbra Black Plague, along with the final part.
Here are these parts.

Spoiler below!

There are things I need of you. Things you may not understand, and may not wish to do, but please, do not make the same mistakes I did.

My father, Howard, deserted me before I was born. I could claim the loss of my mother, and the letter I received after her funeral, blinded me to what I had to do. It would be a lie:

Human nature sealed my downfall.

My name is Philip. If we are lucky, then by the time you receive this, I will be dead.

If fate frowns, we all perish.

[black plague]
There are things I need of you. Things you may not understand, and may not wish to do, but please, do not make the same mistakes I did.

My father, Howard, sent me a letter last year that led me into all this. To think that such a small event can change your life in such a violent way.

Here are the loading-notes from both Overture and Black Plague (hopefully in order)
Spoiler below!

As I stepped off the boat, setting out into the blizzard that had formed around me, I realised how utterly devoted I'd been to the discovery of my father's past. I had no idea what to expect

Soon enough, my concerns were justified. I don't know whether I lost my orientation, or my spirit, first, but I lost feeling in my extremities soon after, and knew hypothermia was setting in. I started looking for shelter.
------
Whatever I was descending into, it was a hundred feet below ground, protected by two solid, metal hatches, located in a remote, arctic wilderness, and buried beneath the snow. I didn't know what to expect, but it made me feel something I hadn't felt since I was a child.

I'd never given it much thought before, but I realised that our entire society is a network of safety nets: emergency services at the end of a phone line; health and safety in the workplace; friends; family; lovers. All there, if something goes wrong, part of a carefully designed structure to prevent all but the most mundane of emotions.

Once again, I felt like I did when I was in school, surrounded by a closing ring of older kids, knowing anyone that might help me - friends, parents, teachers - were too scared, or too far away.
------

When I look back, I can't think what spurred me to go deeper into the mine. Perhaps it was arrogance at still being alive; or something as ridiculous as facing adversity, and coming out on top.

Now, I know I would have been better off starving, or being mauled to death, than kick starting the chain of events that lead me to end up here, writing to you. I just hope, once you understand my story, you will have what's necessary to put an end to this tale

I certainly didn't.
------
It seems so strange now, to have been guided like a blind man, by a faceless stranger whose sanity was clearly waning, disposition unknown. For all I knew, this 'Red' didn't even have a disposition to speak of, just a seething mass of conflicting emotions.

I knew that my radio reliant friend must have been cocooned nearby, and perhaps in finding him, I would find myself one step closer to understanding what was going on. In just a couple of hours I would find what I was looking for, and with it would come answers.

I didn't realise at the time, but the answers I found would be for questions I hadn't even asked.
------
As I stepped into the mouth of the underground facility, there should have been questions, fears, doubts running through me. Instead, I was torn in two

Part of me, I felt, had died, along with my only ally, and friend. His final words had raised more questions than they'd answered, and I couldn't get his screams for help out of my head, despite knowing, deep down, that the pain I had caused Red was, itself, all the help I could have offered him. I was alone again, but I had nothing to do, other than press on into the unknown.

If I'd felt so bad about Red, I should have listened to him and stayed where I was. I would trade his fate a hundred times for my own.

The other side of me was looking forward, to what might await me in my continued journey. I felt sure that I would soon find some clue or other to my father's fate, and that he was inextricably linked to everything that was happening.

I also couldn't help but suspect that everything I had seen up until that point was just symptomatic of whatever lay beyond the threshold.

I know now, I was right.
---
I wasn't sure how long I'd been out, but my head still hurt - either it hadn't been long, or they hit me really hard.

I didn't have a clue what was going on and, all of a sudden, I really didn't care. I was getting out.
------
If this 'stronghold' was anything like as elaborate as its security, I was in for an experience. I didn't know what to expect, but I was getting used to that.
------
The sewers seemed like the only route out, but it wasn't out I wanted anymore. My father had found something, and I needed to know what - without that, everything would have been for nothing.
------
Infected. I'd skipped a beat when I heard that word in association with me. Still, it seemed like just one more reason to find my father. Hearing a friendly voice hadn't hurt either - but by that point, I was pretty certain she'd turn out to be crazy.
------
Savaged, infected, terrified... and now I was hearing voices. Yep, just about everyone down here turns out to be crazy, even me. Regardless, I needed to find a way through and into the library.
------
I'd picked up some baggage on the way, but finally I was close to my goal. I was sure answers lay behind that door. They were answers I should have set out to find when I received my father's letter in 2000. Why did I wait a whole year to come here?
---
I barely even thought about my father's death - I guess I wasn't expecting to find him any other way. I was determined to complete his work, find an answer to the infection and then contact the 'hive'.
------
A cure! I had my doubts by then, but I didn't have much choice. I resolved to find Amabel, and put things right.
-------
With the substance in tow, I was close to ridding myself of the disease. Once that was done, I hoped I'd be able to contact the Tuurngait mind, as had my father. I had to know what it was they'd told him to make him give up like that. I had to put an end to this.
------
I still have no words for what Clarence did. For what I did. I held my anger tight to my chest, and used it. I used it to keep going. I intended to use it to cure myself of Clarence forever.

And, the final end log of the game.
Spoiler below!

execute: email.exe - compose
-------
-------
'Will you do this for me?' it asked, and I said that I would.

I promised the hive that I would contact someone I could trust, that I would have them destroy all evidence of this place, just as my father had promised himself. I, however, will not make the same mistakes my father made - you now understand the truth of the events that lead me here, and the imeasurable importance of my words. Armed with this knowledge, you must have the strength to do that which I could not.

The Tuurngait was quite correct - we humans are a dangerous, headless heard, but intelligent individuals. The members of this facility sought to reveal and control the Tuurngait, and the Tuurngait turned to me for salvation. The hive ran its tests on me - and I jumped through its hoops like the monkey it took me for.

But I am no monkey.

The Tuurngait was right - I am entirely unlike it: I had more in common with Clarence.

I promised I would send this email to you. I promised I would ask that you keep all humans from this place - for the sake of the Tuurngait, and for the human race. I lied.
------
If we are lucky, then by the time you read this, I will be dead.

------
The North-Western Mine is located at reference N81.6914, W58.3154.

Kill them.

Kill them all.
------
Message Sent
------
The End

Of course, we can’t forget about our dear, dear old friend red! Red did have tuurgats, from this message here.

Clarance (voice in head)
Spoiler below!

Yet, this is not the first time... another was infected... Red... he so wanted to, but we would not let him die.

I’m positive there were more references towards red; but I can’t find any..strange. But I’m not looking too hard; I just did a ctrl+f in the lang files.

The ending really confused me. Did Philip destroy the place; or did he ask people to kill everything inside (the opposite of what the TheHive wanted to do)

No special pictures I guess, the ending doesn’t leave you with too much to discuss.

I would like to add, that the coordinates N81.6914, W58.3154 are nothing special; in fact it's just miles of blank snow there.

But I'm honestly shocked Frictional, SHAME ON YOU for actually killing red off! And howard, but no one cares about him anyway. Red was our friend!

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
02-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43
RE: The Ending [Reveled][Major Spoilers]

WindexGlow Wrote:This Topic Contains Huge Spoilers About Ending. Please Do Not Read Unless You Have Completed The Game Or Enjoy Having Things Ruined For You.

As I did with overture, let’s disect this alittle. But, there isn’t much to disect at all.

In the end (rather confusing) Philip writes the email to someone (you). You receive parts of this email with the intruduction in Penumbra Overture and Penumbra Black Plague, along with the final part.
Here are these parts.

Spoiler below!

My father, Howard, deserted me before I was born. I could claim the loss of my mother, and the letter I received after her funeral, blinded me to what I had to do. It would be a lie:

Human nature sealed my downfall.

My name is Philip. If we are lucky, then by the time you receive this, I will be dead.

[black plague]

My father, Howard, sent me a letter last year that led me into all this. To think that such a small event can change your life in such a violent way.

Here are the loading-notes from both Overture and Black Plague (hopefully in order)
Spoiler below!

As I stepped off the boat, setting out into the blizzard that had formed around me, I realised how utterly devoted I'd been to the discovery of my father's past. I had no idea what to expect

Soon enough, my concerns were justified. I don't know whether I lost my orientation, or my spirit, first, but I lost feeling in my extremities soon after, and knew hypothermia was setting in. I started looking for shelter.
------
Whatever I was descending into, it was a hundred feet below ground, protected by two solid, metal hatches, located in a remote, arctic wilderness, and buried beneath the snow. I didn't know what to expect, but it made me feel something I hadn't felt since I was a child.

I'd never given it much thought before, but I realised that our entire society is a network of safety nets: emergency services at the end of a phone line; health and safety in the workplace; friends; family; lovers. All there, if something goes wrong, part of a carefully designed structure to prevent all but the most mundane of emotions.

Once again, I felt like I did when I was in school, surrounded by a closing ring of older kids, knowing anyone that might help me - friends, parents, teachers - were too scared, or too far away.
------

When I look back, I can't think what spurred me to go deeper into the mine. Perhaps it was arrogance at still being alive; or something as ridiculous as facing adversity, and coming out on top.

Now, I know I would have been better off starving, or being mauled to death, than kick starting the chain of events that lead me to end up here, writing to you. I just hope, once you understand my story, you will have what's necessary to put an end to this tale

I certainly didn't.
------
It seems so strange now, to have been guided like a blind man, by a faceless stranger whose sanity was clearly waning, disposition unknown. For all I knew, this 'Red' didn't even have a disposition to speak of, just a seething mass of conflicting emotions.

I knew that my radio reliant friend must have been cocooned nearby, and perhaps in finding him, I would find myself one step closer to understanding what was going on. In just a couple of hours I would find what I was looking for, and with it would come answers.

I didn't realise at the time, but the answers I found would be for questions I hadn't even asked.
------
As I stepped into the mouth of the underground facility, there should have been questions, fears, doubts running through me. Instead, I was torn in two

Part of me, I felt, had died, along with my only ally, and friend. His final words had raised more questions than they'd answered, and I couldn't get his screams for help out of my head, despite knowing, deep down, that the pain I had caused Red was, itself, all the help I could have offered him. I was alone again, but I had nothing to do, other than press on into the unknown.

If I'd felt so bad about Red, I should have listened to him and stayed where I was. I would trade his fate a hundred times for my own.

The other side of me was looking forward, to what might await me in my continued journey. I felt sure that I would soon find some clue or other to my father's fate, and that he was inextricably linked to everything that was happening.

I also couldn't help but suspect that everything I had seen up until that point was just symptomatic of whatever lay beyond the threshold.

I know now, I was right.
---
I wasn't sure how long I'd been out, but my head still hurt - either it hadn't been long, or they hit me really hard.

I didn't have a clue what was going on and, all of a sudden, I really didn't care. I was getting out.
------
If this 'stronghold' was anything like as elaborate as its security, I was in for an experience. I didn't know what to expect, but I was getting used to that.
------
The sewers seemed like the only route out, but it wasn't out I wanted anymore. My father had found something, and I needed to know what - without that, everything would have been for nothing.
------
Infected. I'd skipped a beat when I heard that word in association with me. Still, it seemed like just one more reason to find my father. Hearing a friendly voice hadn't hurt either - but by that point, I was pretty certain she'd turn out to be crazy.
------
Savaged, infected, terrified... and now I was hearing voices. Yep, just about everyone down here turns out to be crazy, even me. Regardless, I needed to find a way through and into the library.
------
I'd picked up some baggage on the way, but finally I was close to my goal. I was sure answers lay behind that door. They were answers I should have set out to find when I received my father's letter in 2000. Why did I wait a whole year to come here?
---
I barely even thought about my father's death - I guess I wasn't expecting to find him any other way. I was determined to complete his work, find an answer to the infection and then contact the 'hive'.
------
A cure! I had my doubts by then, but I didn't have much choice. I resolved to find Amabel, and put things right.
-------
With the substance in tow, I was close to ridding myself of the disease. Once that was done, I hoped I'd be able to contact the Tuurngait mind, as had my father. I had to know what it was they'd told him to make him give up like that. I had to put an end to this.
------
I still have no words for what Clarence did. For what I did. I held my anger tight to my chest, and used it. I used it to keep going. I intended to use it to cure myself of Clarence forever.

And, the final end log of the game.
Spoiler below!

execute: email.exe - compose
-------
-------
'Will you do this for me?' it asked, and I said that I would.

I promised the hive that I would contact someone I could trust, that I would have them destroy all evidence of this place, just as my father had promised himself. I, however, will not make the same mistakes my father made - you now understand the truth of the events that lead me here, and the imeasurable importance of my words. Armed with this knowledge, you must have the strength to do that which I could not.

The Tuurngait was quite correct - we humans are a dangerous, headless heard, but intelligent individuals. The members of this facility sought to reveal and control the Tuurngait, and the Tuurngait turned to me for salvation. The hive ran its tests on me - and I jumped through its hoops like the monkey it took me for.

But I am no monkey.

The Tuurngait was right - I am entirely unlike it: I had more in common with Clarence.

I promised I would send this email to you. I promised I would ask that you keep all humans from this place - for the sake of the Tuurngait, and for the human race. I lied.
------
If we are lucky, then by the time you read this, I will be dead.

------
The North-Western Mine is located at reference N81.6914, W58.3154.

Kill them.

Kill them all.
------
Message Sent
------
The End

Of course, we can’t forget about our dear, dear old friend red! Red did have tuurgats, from this message here.

Clarance (voice in head)
Spoiler below!

Yet, this is not the first time... another was infected... Red... he so wanted to, but we would not let him die.

I’m positive there were more references towards red; but I can’t find any..strange. But I’m not looking too hard; I just did a ctrl+f in the lang files.

The ending really confused me. Did Philip destroy the place; or did he ask people to kill everything inside (the opposite of what the TheHive wanted to do)

No special pictures I guess, the ending doesn’t leave you with too much to discuss.

I would like to add, that the coordinates N81.6914, W58.3154 are nothing special; in fact it's just miles of blank snow there.

But I'm honestly shocked Frictional, SHAME ON YOU for actually killing red off! And howard, but no one cares about him anyway. Red was our friend!
i think the kill them kill them all might be the turngait realalising that you know about them and they want to kill you? or maybye a reference to a game that continues penumbra in the future under a different name?
02-15-2008, 03:34 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

The devs have stated they will no longer continue the Penumbra Genre, which is essentially the storyline.

Please -REP me.
02-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Find
Zetsumaru Offline

Threads: 0

I think the "kill them all" part is just an enraged Philip due to te death of those he cared (red, howard and the girl) and the treatment he recieved from the hive, running tests on him like he was some kind of lab rat.

You can see how Philip starts as your average guy in overture and slowly turn into his dark and pesimistic side throughout the games, at the end the only thing he could have was revenge, so he took it.

Also wink wink nudge nudge.
02-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

flirt flirt ;-D

Please -REP me.
02-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Find
zanexlol Offline

Threads: 1

_some_ clarification about the ending would be nice.
no speculation, I want one of the creators to comment on this.
02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Find
MarcusStuhr Offline

Threads: 5

Yeah, the ending was a lot to take in.
02-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4

WindexGlow Wrote:I would like to add, that the coordinates N81.6914, W58.3154 are nothing special; in fact it's just miles of blank snow there.
That'S not surprising I guess. It is a secret installation after all.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
02-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Find
MarcusStuhr Offline

Threads: 5

Someone should go to that spot and put a fake vault down just to scare the crap out of anyone who is crazy enough to venture there...
02-16-2008, 04:46 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Looks like I'm crazy than. This summer, I'm heading there. Not all arranged yet, but have the plane ticket purchased. June 23, 8:20A.M Continental Airways. It'll get me to greenland's capital, and a tour bus will drop me off at a town nearby that's just 3 miles away. In the summer, it's pretty warm there.

Please -REP me.
02-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Find