Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Discussing monster AI
MytiS Offline

Threads: 1
Discussing monster AI

Hi. I'll start off by saying that as someone who's played Amnesia all the way through, and very much enjoyed it, huge props to the devs for pulling together such a good game during a trialing development process. As a game modder with some beginning programing knowledge, and being new to horror games (unless you want to count doom 3) prior to amnesia, many elements of this game naturally interested me very much. Now I feel that I have a pretty clear understanding of how many of the game's mechanics work -- the exception being what I'd like to bring up today: Monster AI.

So here's the questions:
- Is the monster code for available to viewing as text anywhere?

- If not, which are the speculated methods by which amnesia handles monster related systems such as;

Interest in player, at which point the monster decides to walk off and resume patrolling after not finding a player)
Monster spotting player, how a player is 'spotted' after being in the monsters fov after some duration, also visibility changes based on light level
Sanity points, how the monster being in the player's fov reduces the players sanity

I've seen some games with mechanics such as these be handled by passing inventory to the player in monster states. I could throw out another few paragraphs with my speculations of how these things work, but I'm really more curious to hear from modders, or a dev if they frequent these parts, how the game handles these mechanics code-wise. Thanks in advance.
07-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Find
EXAWOLT Offline

Threads: 14
RE: Discussing monster AI

(if you have steam)
Program(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/amnesiathedarkdescent/config - game.cfg

simply nuff said

07-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Find