Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does someone know any good scares?
Magasztos Offline

Threads: 21
Does someone know any good scares?

The title explains a lot but still...
If you know any good scares please post this here:

1. What it does.

2. how it works.

3. if it requires a special kind of script.

4. if it contains any effects, (I.E. particles) if yes than post them as well.

(I'll go ahead and post the first one)

This scare is based on the one where a vase (seems to) randomly break, basically what it does is make it look like the glass in front a painting's frame bursts.

now for how it works:

1. You put a display with the legs through a wall so you only see the top and then put a painting in there then resize the display to fit the painting to make it look more realistic.

2. Then you put an area in front of the painting (make sure it is about 3 feet in front of the painting so the player walks against it when walking towards the painting(if you want a particle effect with it you have to put another area right against the "frame".))

3. you have to use this script:

void OnStart()

{

AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "AREA", "FUNCTION", true, 1);

}

void FUNCTION(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)

{

SetPropHealth("DISPLAY", 0);

}

void OnEnter()

{

}

void OnLeave()

{

}
4. Optionally do this to make it even scarier:

void OnStart()

{

AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "AREA", "FUNCTION", true, 1);

}

void Explode(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
SetPropHealth("DISPLAY", 0);
PlaySoundAtEntity("", "SCARESOUND", "AREA", 0, true);
CreateParticleSystemAtEntity("", "PARTICLE", "AREA2", false);
AddPlayerSanity(-30);
}
(Keep in mind that "AREA2" should be against (or maybe even a little through) the glass of the "frame")In this case I made the "AddPlayerSanity" -30 which tells the game that when the player passes the Area his/her sanity will be reduced by 30.
but it is more fun to completely kill the players sanity (say -100) and make the player do something in the area in order to restore his/her sanity.

I hope this works out for everyone (if not pm me, I'll be more than glad to help) and if anyone else knows a good way to scare me or anyone else out there, be sure to post it here. Big Grin

~The Hulk is always greener on the other side~
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 08:28 AM by Magasztos.)
07-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Find
EXAWOLT Offline

Threads: 14
RE: Does someone know any good scares?

one of my favorites is the slime damage area^^
just put 1 out on a random place, like in a corridor, and set to disappear when colliding.
you re walking in the corridor and then suddenly gets damaged Big Grin

simply nuff said

07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Find
Cruzore Offline

Threads: 2

Good scares have to go with good atmosphere and creepy music.
One scare that goes over the whole custom story is to tell the player in a note in a good way that there are invisible monsters(together with story), then just make sound noises of them everywhere without placing monsters. That will scare them a shit.

Think, before you speak Google, before you post
07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Find
ApeCake Offline

Threads: 20

Exactly what FastHunteR said. Cheap jumpscares makes me instantly dislike a map, no matter how well the atmosphere is.
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Find
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11

TELEPORTING NAKED GUY!S!!!
Obviously joking, =P

Otherwise, I really like that frame idea, would've never though to do something like that. My thoughts usually go with what FastHunter said, sounds are usually the best way to put a scare into somebody. A random glass break, or footsteps from nothing behind you are great ways to shake up a player. Depending on how paranormal your story is, maybe a dynamic painting that flies of the wall, or maybe just shakes back and forth on the wall, rather then simply flying off. My favorite scare however is the simple spider entity. Goes along with the slime damage, all you hear is a little sound then BAM! You get hurt a little out of no where. The person is trying to figure out what the heck hit them then BAM! It jumps on them again. I first messed around with this and placed a spider as an ambient animal. When I got hit by it at first, I scared myself so badly because I was NOT expecting that. (Since I hadn't coded a thing in yet)... lets just say I needed a new keyboard afterwards.

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
07-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Well, i guess scares pretty much linked together with 'the unknown'.
In some way, you find out that there is 'something' out there.
You are forced to go that way, even though you don't want to. (quest, perhaps)

This 'unknown' could show itself as, breaking glass, mysterious/scary sounds, falling objects (from bookshelfs, tables, etc.), slime,

Different ways this could go:

1. If it is unknown sounds, they could continue as the player walks towards them, and then, suddenly just stop out of nowhere! (The sounds have to be played a while, so the player kinda gets used to them, but still gets freaked out). The player should continue forward, wondering what the heck just happened. Then BAM the player runs into what made these sounds (Grunt, Brute, Shadow, The players own mind, etc.)

BUT: In these days players would maybe expect the sounds to strike again with a shock! So maybe just blow their mind with the sounds, NOT coming back... or do they...

2. The 'unkown' continues to appear, as the player walks toward them. happening more often, as the player gets closer to 'it'. Then suddenly something unusually happens. That is often the way I work. Something happens suddenly!

You can make scares with a lot of different entities.. It's just to get the idea.
But to summarize:

Something unknown
Something suddenly happens
The player wonders and gets freaked out

The whole idea is that player is never really sure..

Trying is the first step to success.
07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Find