Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Obscurity - An Amnesia Custom Story
ElectricRed Offline

Threads: 13
Obscurity - An Amnesia Custom Story

[Image: 2mn4sbt.jpg]

[Image: 35lss3p.jpg]
A Custom Story by ElectricRed

Crescent Village... That name has been ringing in my ears, haunting me in my dreams. Ever since my wife's death, I've been having nightmares about the place. It's where I grew up as a child, but I was sent away to live with my aunt and uncle when I was very young. I never saw my family again.

Why is this happening now, 30 years later? It seems to be calling out to me, beckoning me to return. That's why I must go. I need to find out why I'm being haunted by these nightmares, and maybe seeing my family again will help me cope with my wife's death... Something seems off about it though. All of my instincts are telling me to stay home and forget about the whole thing. I can't just shake it off though... I NEED to do this.

Story:
Upon returning to the village you grew up in as a child, you discover that it's empty. Doors are boarded up, bloodstains soak the ground, and a strange aura lingers in the air. What happened and why has everyone disappeared? Crescent Village holds a secret, and it's up to you to uncover it.

Features:
- Chilling atmosphere
- Frightening horror
- Complex and deep storyline
- Richly detailed environments and lighting
- No monsters from the original Amnesia or Justine

Info:
As you can probably tell, this is not a pointless jumpscare map. The horror will be genuine and make sense. In addition; grunts, brutes, or suitors will not be making an appearance. Any monsters used in the story are custom. The reason I decided against making a full conversion is due to the sheer amount of them nowadays, and I don't believe it's necessary. Another thing you should know is that quality is extremely important to me, and I want this custom story to be as professional and functional as possible. I'd appreciate any kind of comments or criticism you may have that will help me improve. I don't care how minor they are.

Anyways, you can expect Obscurity to be released sometime this year. I've already been working on it for a while and have quite a bit done already, although there is still a lot to go. A trailer will be released very soon, along with weekly(?) updates until the release. I'm still a bit on the fence about a demo. Do you guys think I should prepare one, or is it not necessary? I'd really like some feedback on this. Thanks!

Screenshots:
Spoiler below!

They were out of date so I removed them.

Voice Actors:
I'm currently hiring voice actors! The script isn't complete yet, but basically I will ask that you voice over parts that I send you over the period of development, if that makes sense. Here are the characters:

- MC as a child (a couple of short flashbacks)
- A middle aged woman [British] (flashbacks)
- A middle aged man [British, deep] (flashbacks)

Updates:
7/25/2012
8/16/2012
8/20/2012
9/03/2012
9/29/2012

And that's it! Please post any comments below! I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM by ElectricRed.)
07-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Find
Zaari Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Obscurity - An Amnesia Custom Story

Yes, this is stupid, but I do have to criticize the blue boxlight that appears in most of the screenshots. It just seems a bit unrealistic and not as atmospheric as it could be. Try darkening the diffuse color on one of your maps, like the one in screenshot 7 maybe. Since it's (R,G,B), I'd recommend (0.025,0.025,0.05) or (0.1,0.2,0.2) if you intend your maps to be lighter. After you do that, if you still prefer the original color that's fine, I'm just throwing out an idea.

"Marzipan, darling."
07-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

(07-13-2012, 06:57 AM)Zaari Wrote: Yes, this is stupid, but I do have to criticize the blue boxlight that appears in most of the screenshots. It just seems a bit unrealistic and not as atmospheric as it could be. Try darkening the diffuse color on one of your maps, like the one in screenshot 7 maybe. Since it's (R,G,B), I'd recommend (0.025,0.025,0.05) or (0.1,0.2,0.2) if you intend your maps to be lighter. After you do that, if you still prefer the original color that's fine, I'm just throwing out an idea.
I'll try it and see how it looks. I was going for a nighttime sort of feeling, and the blue glow is supposed to represent the moonlight shining through the windows.
07-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Find
Zaari Offline

Threads: 0

(07-13-2012, 07:00 AM)ElectricRed Wrote: I'll try it and see how it looks. I was going for a nighttime sort of feeling, and the blue glow is supposed to represent the moonlight shining through the windows.
Ahh, I see. Well, your custom story looks great so far. That was the only criticism I had. Also, I can't see the first two images at the top of the thread.

EDIT: Actually, (0.1,0.2,0.2) might not be the best for a blue glow. Try (0.1,0.1,0.2) as well.

"Marzipan, darling."
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2012, 07:04 AM by Zaari.)
07-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

(07-13-2012, 07:02 AM)Zaari Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 07:00 AM)ElectricRed Wrote: I'll try it and see how it looks. I was going for a nighttime sort of feeling, and the blue glow is supposed to represent the moonlight shining through the windows.
Ahh, I see. Well, your custom story looks great so far. That was the only criticism I had. Also, I can't see the first two images at the top of the thread.

EDIT: Actually, (0.1,0.2,0.2) might not be the best for a blue glow. Try (0.1,0.1,0.2) as well.
I tried the values you suggested, but I prefer what I had before. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Also, I fixed the pictures at the top of the page.
07-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

The fountain in the second screenshot looks too out of place. It's in the middle of what appears to be a small village, and those don't tend to have much money to spend on creepy baby statues. You could just plop in a well and be better off.
07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(07-23-2012, 08:53 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: The fountain in the second screenshot looks too out of place. It's in the middle of what appears to be a small village, and those don't tend to have much money to spend on creepy baby statues. You could just plop in a well and be better off.
I think that that's a small point, as if the village is old enough, someone may have made a random purchase sometime in the years before, or someone gifted the town the fountain.

As for the CS, I think it looks pretty decent so far. I particularly liked the feel/atmosphere of the 3rd screenshot. I think it's probably achieved by the faint blue light.

Consider signing up to Moddb for this?
07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

Heh, personally I like the fountain there. It looks creepy just sitting there in the center, which is what I'm going for. Thanks for the suggestion though. Tongue
Quote:

As for the CS, I think it looks pretty decent so far. I particularly
liked the feel/atmosphere of the 3rd screenshot. I think it's probably
achieved by the faint blue light.

Consider signing up to Moddb for this?
Thanks! I appreciate that a lot. I'll definitely sign up for Moddb soon when I get around to it. Will I get more publicity there or something?

[Image: 9lkjf4.jpg]

07-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(07-23-2012, 09:28 PM)ElectricRed Wrote: Thanks! I appreciate that a lot. I'll definitely sign up for Moddb soon when I get around to it. Will I get more publicity there or something?
Yep, if you update your mod regularly with fresh content, and keep it at the top, the people who know about your mod will sky-rocket.

Though, from what I've seen, most of the people over there have incredibly low standards. Taking my Amnesia mod for example: I've maintained a perfect 10/10 score based on five scores, and most of the people in the comments lauded it as super awesome, and scary as hell. One person even lauded it as second only to White Night. I like my own mod, but even I don't give myself as much credit as those people did O_o
07-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah Moddb users tend to have even lower standards than a lot of the people here do. The terms "best story ever" and "so fucking scary" are thrown around like crazy. Honestly just reading through comments there can be incredibly amusing just because of how stupid some of the people are Big Grin

Posting Freak
07-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Website Find