Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which one?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Grunt in the Guest Room.
10.00%
2 10.00%
Brute in the Morgue.
90.00%
18 90.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Better entrance? Grunt or Brute?
Potato Offline

Threads: 10
Better entrance? Grunt or Brute?

Both of the two Gatherers had an appearance where they were, after many far glances and ominous moans were introduced properly. Which of the two had a better introduction? The Grunt's in the guest room? Or the Brute's in the morgue?

I personally vote for the Brute in the morgue, because it takes place right after you solve a puzzle and you're feeling pretty good about yourself. And as soon as you get near that door, BAM. He's breaking his way in. It's alot more of a close encounter than the Grunt, and it's a pretty good scare. Also, the music's awesome, but so is the Grunt's event music.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
08-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Better entrance? Grunt or Brute?

The Brute's entrance is more dramatic, true, but it suffers from a problem: By the time you reach the morgue you've already learned the solve puzzle > something scary happens - mechanic. So at least for me the effect was diminished because I already expected something to happen.
I have to say though, it was a nice touch that it didn't happen immediately but only when I approached the door...so I was almost like "huh, guess there's nothing this time..." and then BÄM! Big Grin
08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Find
JMFStorm Offline

Threads: 8

You've already have seen the Brute couple of times in the Dungeon before Morgue. Brute was for so log in the back and when the Morgue scene happens, the brute feels even more scarier then.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM by JMFStorm.)
08-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Find
Potato Offline

Yes, but that's not his proper introduction. It's only little glimpses that make you think, "wtf is that?", similar to seeing the Grunt in the refinery. For the Grunt, it depends whether you go to the Guest Room or Storage First, but it should be Guest Room in that aspect.

08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Find
HateSolstice Offline

Threads: 0

I found the Brute overall to be the better monster. I like his whale-inspired moans and howls, he's slow and creepy way of walking, and the clinking of his legs. Plus he can have his way with you much quicker than the Grunt.

However, with that said, the Grunt does deserve props. He is introduced first, and the very first time you deal with him its through a lot of little headgames.
08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(08-02-2012, 11:03 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: The Brute's entrance is more dramatic, true, but it suffers from a problem: By the time you reach the morgue you've already learned the solve puzzle > something scary happens - mechanic. So at least for me the effect was diminished because I already expected something to happen.
I have to say though, it was a nice touch that it didn't happen immediately but only when I approached the door...so I was almost like "huh, guess there's nothing this time..." and then BÄM! Big Grin

I'll note that for some people nonetheless the introduction of the brute was still a big shock and surprise

I knew by then that 'solve puzzle, get item' would typically lead to a scare of some sort...but this still caught me off guard because of the way the scare was introduced
08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Website Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

FFS, it is 'a lot'. 'ALOT' IS NOT A WORD.

On topic: I liked the brute entrance because it was really unexpected and came with a big jumpscare (the door banging), while the grunt one was like "Oh shit there is a grunt, hide in the closet!" and it was more watered down thanks to the hint.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Find
Potato Offline

I tend to write it as alot, I don't know why. *gets referred to 'Why do people type badly thread'* It's not that I'm lazy, I just always tend to write it that way. I do it alot.

08-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

The Brute's entrance had been far more brutal than the Grunt's.

[Image: p229xcq]
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-02-2012, 07:21 PM)Chronofox Wrote: The Brute's entrance had been far more brutal than the Grunt's.
[Image: Rsz_1rsz_happy-i-see-what-you-did-there-_clean_-l.png]

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Find