Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[spoilers]Aaaargh why did you ruin your excellent game??!
Ben Gunn Offline

Threads: 2
[spoilers]Aaaargh why did you ruin your excellent game??!

Before I start the rant I need to emphasize that- a. I love Overture and BP looks even better in some aspects. b. This is meant as constructive criticism as well as a place to vent my anger.

One of the things that made Overture such a powerful experience was the sense of truly being isolated- walking alone in that dreary complex did much to enhance the atmosphere, the feeling of despair.
Sure, you had Red but his communings were scarce. And when he spoke he only contribued to the experience with his madman drivels, superbly acted.

Not so in BP.
Spoiler below!
This no-name character inside your head keeps nagging. He has something to say every five minutes- pointless stuff. Trying to be sarcastic. Without real success. The voice-acting is terrible- he sounds like a cartoon character.
He is ruining my experience in what looks like, in any other aspect, a worthy sequel.

Thats it, I finished my rant. Im only at the beginning (Infirmary)- is it going to be like that all the way?
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2008, 07:50 AM by jens.)
02-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Find
Eragon Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Aaaargh why did you ruin your excellent game??!

Listen, if you don't like it, don't play it! Don't come here spoiling every1. You like more overture? Then go play it!!

Penumbra Overture- Its an EXCELLENT game.
Penumbra Black Plague- is AMAZING!
Penumbra Requiem - ...
02-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Find
str1990 Offline

Threads: 4

Sadly its true Sad
I liked Overture more, because of the loneliness. Black Plague felt like Doom 3 without the weapons. Just rush to the door, runing past your enemies, knowing that you are not alone, stuck with some idiot inside your head that sounds like a mafia boss. Its just not the same Sad. Sorry about that, but i felt i had to share my opinion. It just wasnt that spooky and the lonely element was missing Sad.
02-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

They kind of overdid Clarence. Some of the things he said were well placed, such as after you kill the lady.
They didn't ruin black plague with it; but they degraded it slightly.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
02-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Find
Ben Gunn Offline

Threads: 2

Eragon Wrote:Listen, if you don't like it, don't play it! Don't come here spoiling every1. You like more overture? Then go play it!!

How am I ruining it for anyone speaking my opinion?? You are making an idiot out of yourself and you sound like a fanboy.

Whoever implemented that character didnt understand the essence of Penumbra, what makes it tick- which is always a very sad affair- to see a creator missing the point of his own creation.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2008, 11:26 PM by marko.)
02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Find
str1990 Offline

Threads: 4

WindexGlow Wrote:They kind of overdid Clarence. Some of the things he said were well placed, such as after you kill the lady.
They didn't ruin black plague with it; but they degraded it slightly.

Slightly?
I didnt even hide from the monsters. I just rushed past them, waiting for Clarance to say something. I didn't even turn of my light. Basicly i ran trough the levels without fear and the only things that i dound interesting were the puzzles. And i think that the posibility to lure the enemies inside rooms, using pieces of meat was great Big Grin. I think that Black Plague isn't scary. It looks a bit like the developers rushed to finish it. Even the number of enemies were quite low (1 or maybe 2 if you count the mutated dog guy that you never get to see). The idea of the spders, scared of the light and the wolves that are attracted by it is better than adding some mutated zombies that cannot be killed and your only option is to just run past them and they wouldnt even hit you... even the wolves in Overture were interesting when they called more when they sensed that they are getting beaten up. The eggs that opened when you get near them were also interesting. Black Plague is missing all those moments that made it a lot more fun.

P.S.: The guy that cut off his hand looked a lot scarier than the rest of the infected Big Grin
02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Find
Gyne Offline

Threads: 5

Ben Gunn Wrote:
Eragon Wrote:Listen, if you don't like it, don't play it! Don't come here spoiling every1. You like more overture? Then go play it!!

How am I ruining it for anyone speaking my opinion?? You are making an idiot out of yourself and you sound like a fanboy.

Whoever implemented that character didnt understand the essence of Penumbra, what makes it tick- which is always a very sad affair- to see a creator missing the point of his own creation.

You sound a like a "fanboy" yourself.
02-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Website Find
subzirol Offline

Threads: 0

Clarence is like a Bender from Futurama. Wink
02-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43

Ben Gunn Wrote:

you are spoiling it bye giving away vitle info to other peaple about the game thus ruining it. i suggest that both of you stop this cringe worthy argument. bengun use a SPOILER TAG next time. eragon dont call someone a idoit even online peaple might be considering reporting you!
02-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43

Ben Gunn Wrote:
Gyne Wrote:You sound a like a "fanboy" yourself.

Thats interesting, all the ones that agree with me (at least to some extenct) posts lengthy posts with intelligent views while the ones that dont sounds like moronic 4 years old.
i reported you bengunn next time dont insult peaple like this even online. posting lenghthy posts does not give you superpowers that let you tell if someone is a moron4 year old. knowing how INTELLIGENT you are i asoumed you would know that. stop mud slinging now
02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Find