Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

difficulty
kursat58 Offline

Threads: 1
difficulty

hi guys,
wont it be nice if they woud ad an new difficulty like the idknightmare mode where enemies spawn double as often and in some areas 2 monsters patroling and they are always faster than you and give you instant 1 hit kill. And you sanity drain 0,5 times faster and you health also and items are half as comon.
so you have like a little challenge when you did beat the game Cool
what do you think about this idea !?
08-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: difficulty

That would just pull you out of immersion because you'd be focused on gameplay instead of the story, which ruins the purpose of the game.

Posting Freak
08-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Website Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Please nothing that reminds me of Diablo 3 thank you. And I agree with Kman, that would be horrible. The game isn't meant to be for challenge.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
08-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

why is it such a crime for a game to have a lot of challenge as well as a great story? perhaps im being naieve, but, i dont see why it seems to be a case of a game can have a great story, or it can have great gameplay, why on earth cant it have both? there have been many great games in the past that proove that the 2 are not mutually exclusive, so why on earth do so many people still seem to think they are?

I dont see what is wrong with having an ultra hard mode that unlockes once youve finished the game on its regular setting, i mean, once you know the story, theres no real point in going back for the story again, so i dont see what is wrong with having a special mode that unlocks on completion that is more gameplay focussed, for those gamers who want a challenge after they have experienced the story, ok, some of you dont want an ultra hard mode... well just Dont play on ultra hard mode! dont deny those of us who do want an ultra hard mode the right to have one, leave that kind of behavior to MW trolls Please!
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012, 07:54 PM by the dark side.)
08-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

May sound random but with the health slowly regenerating itself and monsters usually killing you in one or two hits I found the laundanum to be a bit redundant.
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-04-2012, 07:49 PM)the dark side Wrote: why is it such a crime for a game to have a lot of challenge as well as a great story? perhaps im being naieve, but, i dont see why it seems to be a case of a game can have a great story, or it can have great gameplay, why on earth cant it have both? there have been many great games in the past that proove that the 2 are not mutually exclusive, so why on earth do so many people still seem to think they are?

I dont see what is wrong with having an ultra hard mode that unlockes once youve finished the game on its regular setting, i mean, once you know the story, theres no real point in going back for the story again, so i dont see what is wrong with having a special mode that unlocks on completion that is more gameplay focussed, for those gamers who want a challenge after they have experienced the story, ok, some of you dont want an ultra hard mode... well just Dont play on ultra hard mode! dont deny those of us who do want an ultra hard mode the right to have one, leave that kind of behavior to MW trolls Please!
The two can both be amazing in certain cases, and flow smoothly together (Portal, just as one example), but the difference with Amnesia is that it's a horror game. On top of that, it's a horror game that's whole focus is to immerse you and give you a terrifying experience. The problem with harder gameplay here is it'll make the player frustrated due to the excessive trial and error, FG wrote a great article on this a while back. The more frustrated you get, the more pulled out of immersion you'll be, and you'll start to treat it like a game that's meant to win. The problem is, it would completely destroy the very reason they made Amnesia, and it would go directly against a lot of FG's philosophies on these sort of things.

Posting Freak
08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(08-04-2012, 07:49 PM)the dark side Wrote: why is it such a crime for a game to have a lot of challenge as well as a great story? perhaps im being naieve, but, i dont see why it seems to be a case of a game can have a great story, or it can have great gameplay, why on earth cant it have both? there have been many great games in the past that proove that the 2 are not mutually exclusive, so why on earth do so many people still seem to think they are?

You're completely neglecting genre.

Amnesia is horror. The challenge in this genre lies within the mind of the player, not in gameplay; horror is about making the player feel disturbed or scared, succeeding when the player feels too afraid to proceed out of fear rather than difficulty. The best horror games are of this case.

Edit: Dammit ninja'ed by Kman

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012, 08:56 PM by Froge.)
08-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(08-04-2012, 07:50 PM)cantremember Wrote: May sound random but with the health slowly regenerating itself and monsters usually killing you in one or two hits I found the laundanum to be a bit redundant.
Yes, I agree. Of course, there are other ways of hurting yourself.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
08-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(08-04-2012, 08:55 PM)Chronofox Wrote: Edit: Dammit ninja'ed by Kman
I can imagine a happy tune playing with different pictures of Kman doing various comical "Posting-Freak" things on the forums. Tongue
08-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Find
HateSolstice Offline

Threads: 0

Games like this really don't need a difficulty filter. The whole point of the game is to not get caught by the monsters, immerse yourself in this freaky-ass environment and story, and solve puzzles that typically only have one solution.

So ask yourself: what would the difficulty change?

Damage that the monsters do to you? As has already been said, they already kill you in one to two hits anyway, so that's a moot point. The Shadow's "creep" takes you down one level of health every time. The laudanum is fairly useless except for extreme circumstances. Otherwise, you're hiding and not getting hurt.

Change the puzzles? That would be a bit too complicated for a first-person, physics-based game such as this. Yes, you could likely get away with setting maybe a completion timer to some of the puzzles, but the puzzles generally aren't really your typical "solve the riddle/arrange the statues/play hopscotch over boiling lava" style puzzles, so again it wouldn't really fit.

Considering the pace of the game, while speed runs are possible, generally adding a timer to artificially make this a little more tense really wouldn't work either.

I don't know, I really don't see you could fit something like this into a game such as Amnesia. In games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, the monsters don't kill you right away, and the puzzles are definitely more in-line with what I mentioned above. Thus, randomization and increased monster damage works in those games.
08-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Find