Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

So are we all agreed that sawing....
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: So are we all agreed that sawing....

My apologies, I remembered incorrectly, but I did find a relevant clip about the bronze bull from 1000 Ways to Die**. Granted it's not the most reliable source, but it does offer a lot more insight and on the subject than 1 room from Amnesia containing a brief description. Suffocation due to the hot air seems to be the major cause of death, but the liquid in the human also boils. Yummy.

Link*: http://www.spike.com/video-clips/90mvnn/...rass-bulls

* = I'm not sure what the rules are about posting links to other sites (if any such rule exists at all) but if I'm in violation of such a rule I'll take it down ASAP.

** = Link contains content of a graphic nature, viewer discretion is advised.

I rate it 3 memes.
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

@Robosprog: I believe the reason why Bridge began accusing you of sounding condescending is because you started saying things like
Quote:seems I always need to explain to you.
or
Quote:*FACEPALM*
which a discussion on the Internet can totally do without.

[Image: p229xcq]
08-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Given that thechineseroom is developing Amnesia 2: The Amnesianing I would love it if they included the Chinese torture/execution method of Ling Chi. The interesting thing about this brutal torture is that it was only abolished in the early 1900s, so there exist several genuine photographs of the procedure being done. You can find them quite easily on the net, so be careful if you want to research the subject and don't wanna see dismantled bodies. They're surprisingly good quality.

The procedure isn't quite as horrendous as it seems at first glance; the condemned man was generally doped up with opium and the executioner stabs the prisoner in the heart soon after the initial stages of the carving, but even still, what a way to go.

If you can get your hands on the book "Death By a Thousand Cuts" by Timothy Brook I recommend you do so. It's pretty much the definitive book on the subject (warning: it contains the aforementioned photographs).
08-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I'm not sure who the cast of thechineseroom are, but I'm pretty sure they're an English company.

[Image: p229xcq]
08-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

TheChineseRoom are English, yes, based out of Portsmouth University. they are funded by the "Arts and Humanities Council" part of the government that grants Lottery money to art projects and Humanitatian Statements and Experiments.

they are named after a computer experiment conducted by John Searle, wich was started in the United States at the University of Berkely, California, and is still ongoing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chinese_Room

Despite that, i think that torture would be a good addition, after all AMFP is set in the victorian ages, when the torture was still in practice, there is no saying that the game can't have a Chinese Sub-villain at some point who uses that torture as a way to extract industrial secrets so his "master" can improve the design and effeciency of his "pig machine", such as say, a new type of boiler for the "Watt" Beam Type Steam Engines that power it, or a faster operating ratchet wheel to speed up the machines ability to "process" a victim into a "Pig-beast" (Quesswork here) by moving its conveyers faster without loosing accuracy.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 08:26 PM by the dark side.)
08-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-08-2012, 07:42 PM)Chronofox Wrote: @Robosprog: I believe the reason why Bridge began accusing you of sounding condescending is because you started saying things like
Quote:seems I always need to explain to you.
or
Quote:*FACEPALM*
which a discussion on the Internet can totally do without.
Absolutely.
08-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Robosprog's and Bridge's thing=the end.

New topic: Wich celebrity needs to come out of the closet already?

I say Tom Cruise.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I'm sure I'm not the only one who moans in pain when looking at this:

Spoiler below!
[Image: sawing-in-two.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
08-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I know who thechineseroom are, where they are based and what the name means. I didn't at any point think Dan Pinchbeck was just a really pasty Chinaman who had undergone aggressive elocution lessons at the Ray Winstone Talkin' Academy Cool

I don't think it's necessary to have a Chinese character in the game just to enact some Chinese-style torture. I mean, Amnesia: The Dark Descent wasn't set in Greece but it featured a Brazen Bull! haha
08-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

To answer Chronofox's question: The brazen bull was not used for vitae extraction, but rather to instill terror in other victims. The bellows of the bull carried along pipes into the Nave cells, which caused fear. Fear caused vitae to develop, therefore maximizing overall vitae production.

On Topic: This is only me, but I think the Iron Maiden would be the worst. It may not be as painful, but the factor of controlling how long you have until you die would terrify me. One false slip, one small adjustment, one errant twitch, and metal spikes are impaling every part of your body.

Alexander: Prepare this one.
Me: What, me? What's going on?
Daniel: Um....
Alexander: The Iron Maiden. Bring him there.
Me: ERMAHGERD NERT DA ERERN MAHDERN LERT MAH GER U SERDERSTERC BERSTERDS

If you want a translation,
Spoiler below!
Oh my God, not the Iron Maiden! Let me go, you sadistic bastards!

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM by Zaffre.)
08-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Find